Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

11 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

if anything mild and nice weather is a very positive outlook.  snow/cold freaks enjoy the negative side of life and outcomes. people conflate the weather they want as the only acceptable banter and weather talk, and will do anything to control the narrative in that sense.  it sucks when certain people want to silence others, honestly.

I would counter that while mild weather is nice, and definitely can be enjoyable, it’s not as interesting, especially in the winter.

The places on earth that are both inhabitable and can experience snow is exceedingly small compared to places where weather can be mild and/or warm. Plus the current climate trends are pushing towards less cold and snowy weather. The conditions required for snow to fall are much more complex to forecast, especially for the areas on the fringes like ourselves.

No one wants anyone silenced, it’s just the difference of walking by someone on the street and preferring they say “good day” rather than “**** you”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

if anything mild and nice weather is a very positive outlook.  snow/cold freaks enjoy the negative side of life and outcomes. people conflate the weather they want as the only acceptable banter and weather talk, and will do anything to control the narrative in that sense.  it sucks when certain people want to silence others, honestly.

I agree with your post. And I honestly feel as though you are just someone who genuinely enjoys pleasant weather. I feel like Mike (Forky) just likes to neeedle people endlessly. Bit of a difference...is he doing anything "wrong", per se...no. Being a jerk isn't a crime.

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Christmas is extremely dicey to work out. Even the one after. I would definitely reel it in until the PNA relaxes a bit. 

I feel like you are referring to a bonafide snow storm....IMHO the notion of a front end inch or two that won't get totally wiped out is pretty plausible.

10 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Do you feel as though the antecedent airmass and pattern is better or worse than last night?

I think the airmass starts out better for sure. On the other hand, there low is also far west and has a ton of warmth with it. So it will Be a battle and latitude ftw again.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I agree with your post. And I honestly feel as though you are just someone who genuinely enjoys pleasant weather. I feel like Mike (Forky) just likes to neeedle people endlessly. Bit of a difference...is he doing anything "wrong", per se...no. Being a jerk isn't a crime.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement though, "snow/cold freaks enjoy the negative side of life and outcomes..."

In a vacuum I definitely do not; the end of the sentence does not follow logically from the beginning. Otherwise, I have trouble finding a context where this kind of dead-panned assumption of motivation, consigning all, can be true. 

Some ..in fact, most that I have ever met, Meteorologists and weather enthusiasts alike, are drawn to drama first - not people flying through the air, nor property being shredded off foundations.   There is an important distinction between the draw, and taking say ... 'schadenfreude' when observing harm unfold. 

The draw to drama is entirely ( by the way ...) a survival instinct.  For those that do not fixate on specters, tend to succumb to them - eventually..  That draw and fascination for the dystopian cinemas of nature, to wit, the cinema of 'big storm graphics' ... that draw is far in way more having to do with that instinct - but ... people then get a charge out of that excitement and then get addicted ( in a sense... ) and that's a whole 'nother phenomenon... 

Anyway, much of that is often misconstrued as some form of morality failing.  I'm disinclined to agree.  The total motivation is nuanced, but just in general here.

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm not sure I agree with this statement though, "snow/cold freaks enjoy the negative side of life and outcomes..."

In a vacuum I definitely do not; the end of the sentence does not follow logically from the beginning. Otherwise, I have trouble finding a context where this kind of dead-panned assumption of motivation, consigning all, can be true. 

Some ..in fact, most that I have ever met, Meteorologists and weather enthusiasts alike, are drawn to drama first - not people flying through the air, nor property being shredded off foundations.   There is an important distinction between the draw, and taking say ... 'schadenfreude' when observing harm unfold. 

The draw to drama is entirely ( by the way ...) a survival instinct.  For those that do not fixate on specters, tend to succumb to them - eventually..  That draw and fascination for the dystopian cinemas of nature, to wit, the cinema of 'big storm graphics' ... that draw is far in way more having to do with that instinct - but ... people then get a charge out of that excitement and then get addicted ( in a sense... ) and that's a whole 'nother phenomenon... 

Anyway, much of that is often misconstrued as some form of morality failing.  I'm disinclined to agree.  The total motivation is nuanced, but just in general here.

Ok, me neither....I glossed over it. I agree with the rest. I love snow, but I am very happy with my life. That was a silly comment.