Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I think I’m more concerned about how long it takes to charge. How is that?  If I were driving a long distance, I wouldn’t want to have to stop for a couple of hours to charge. 

It’s not a problem at all. At home, you can install a 40 amp charger that will charge it up in about 5 hrs. When traveling, you have a couple of options. There are network of EV chargers that work at various speed but generally you gain 20-50 miles per hour of charging. These are EVERYWHERE - in BTV they’re even at regular meters. Great if you’re doing something and need to leave your car somewhere. 

if you’re actually on the road and need to charge, you can use a supercharger. There’s many of those as well and you will get a 200 mile or so range in about 15-20 minutes. A full charge to 320 miles or so takes about 45 minutes. Last week coming back from Stowe we just went via Montpelier and stopped there to charge. By the time kids got a snack went to the bathroom and we got back to the car we had about 150 miles of range earned which was way more than we needed  

The car can also plot the right “path” for you when navigating with stops at a supercharger if needed, which is great. The advantage of doing that is also that it will prep itself so that the battery is ready for supercharging, which will make it faster. 

Oh and a “fill up” at a supercharger is about $15, way cheaper than gas and you don’t even need a credit card, it just goes to your Tesla account  

Hope this helps!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, alex said:

It’s not a problem at all. At home, you can install a 40 amp charger that will charge it up in about 5 hrs. When traveling, you have a couple of options. There are network of EV chargers that work at various speed but generally you gain 20-50 miles per hour of charging. These are EVERYWHERE - in BTV they’re even at regular meters. Great if you’re doing something and need to leave your car somewhere. 

if you’re actually on the road and need to charge, you can use a supercharger. There’s many of those as well and you will get a 200 mile or so range in about 15-20 minutes. A full charge to 320 miles or so takes about 45 minutes. Last week coming back from Stowe we just went via Montpelier and stopped there to charge. By the time kids got a snack went to the bathroom and we got back to the car we had about 150 miles of range earned which was way more than we needed  

The car can also plot the right “path” for you when navigating with stops at a supercharger if needed, which is great. The advantage of doing that is also that it will prep itself so that the battery is ready for supercharging, which will make it faster. 

Oh and a “fill up” at a supercharger is about $15, way cheaper than gas and you don’t even need a credit card, it just goes to your Tesla account  

Hope this helps!

Honestly sounds like way too much thinking and planning to me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, alex said:

Hope this helps!

That’s better than I thought. I’m a few years away from something like that but I am interested. Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Honestly sounds like way too much thinking and planning to me. 

On a daily basis, I think it’s the opposite. You always have to think/plan to stop at a gas station. With a 300 mile range, I’ve only had to “stop” twice in about 4 months. In both cases it was very easy to squeeze it in with something else I had to do - one time I did grocery shopping while I waited, and another we just used the restrooms. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, mreaves said:

26° and a little light snow falling. Just chopped my car out of it’s icy tomb from yesterday and bombed the snowmobile around the yard. Much more wintry than last year at this time. Hopefully we can add a little this week. 

Agree. Even if the pack is not that deep, it feels completely different. And of course the 48+ hrs of consecutive snow we’ve had so far helps too :)

2 hours ago, alex said:

On a daily basis, I think it’s the opposite. You always have to think/plan to stop at a gas station. With a 300 mile range, I’ve only had to “stop” twice in about 4 months. In both cases it was very easy to squeeze it in with something else I had to do - one time I did grocery shopping while I waited, and another we just used the restrooms. 

I want to get one and have been holding on to my 08 Highlander to buy time to research and for infrastructure to build up, sounds pike it's pretty good now. Also hoping the prices come down a bit. Fords coming out with a new hybrid truck, I'd like a 100% electric truck but may have to wait for that.

25 minutes ago, mreaves said:

26° and a little light snow falling. Just chopped my car out of it’s icy tomb from yesterday and bombed the snowmobile around the yard. Much more wintry than last year at this time. Hopefully we can add a little this week. 

You can really see that snow pushing in on the radar; classic flow from the northwest:

26DEC21A.gif.d69cf06cf89998210ae6b3a585e2554d.gif

Left the mountain at 6pm and there was no new snow at 1500ft.  Road becomes snow packed as I head down the hill and at home theres 3/4ths of an inch of fine small flake snow…every twig is white and looks beautiful.

Very odd but seemed like freezing mist or drizzle at the mountain but light snow in town. 

41 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I want to get one and have been holding on to my 08 Highlander to buy time to research and for infrastructure to build up, sounds pike it's pretty good now. Also hoping the prices come down a bit. Fords coming out with a new hybrid truck, I'd like a 100% electric truck but may have to wait for that.

I thought they had released a fully electric F150 already? I actually think it would be pretty cool. One thing that I should mention is that the Tesla is incredibly fun to drive. The acceleration is incredible and the motor responsiveness makes it a blast to drive around. I’d imagine a truck could have some impressive power. 

1 hour ago, alex said:

I thought they had released a fully electric F150 already? I actually think it would be pretty cool. One thing that I should mention is that the Tesla is incredibly fun to drive. The acceleration is incredible and the motor responsiveness makes it a blast to drive around. I’d imagine a truck could have some impressive power. 

They have but I want a smaller truck, was hoping Toyota would come out with an all electric Tacoma

1 hour ago, alex said:

The Lightning is supposed to be out in the spring of 2022. They are taking reservations for them. I guess the cost is supposed to be similar to a regular F-150

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/2022/

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

That is the truck that I ordered last July.  It's the Ford Maverick Hybrid.  40 miles per gallon but just front wheel drive.  I got the upgraded Lariat model and it was only $28K.  I also reserved a Ford F150 Lightning.  It comes out in 2022.  I will drive the Maverick and then decide to trade in for the full electric Lightning.  My worry is that there are so many electric cars coming out that fast charging stations will not keep up and there will be waits to charge.  Besides the truck on order we have aToyota RAV4 Prime.  That is a plug in hybrid.  So you can drive it on the gas/electric engine like any other hybrid but you can plug it in too and when you do you get 42 miles of pure electric driving.  So for us we drive on the electric 90% of the time and then the truck changes to the gas/hybrid and we get about 32 mpg. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

That is the truck that I ordered last July.  It's the Ford Maverick Hybrid.  40 miles per gallon but just front wheel drive.  I got the upgraded Lariat model and it was only $28K.  I also reserved a Ford F150 Lightning.  It comes out in 2022.  I will drive the Maverick and then decide to trade in for the full electric Lightning.  My worry is that there are so many electric cars coming out that fast charging stations will not keep up and there will be waits to charge.  Besides the truck on order we have aToyota RAV4 Prime.  That is a plug in hybrid.  So you can drive it on the gas/electric engine like any other hybrid but you can plug it in too and when you do you get 42 miles of pure electric driving.  So for us we drive on the electric 90% of the time and then the truck changes to the gas/hybrid and we get about 32 mpg. 

I was going to order the all wheel drive but hesitated, not sure what I want just yet.

Event totals: 1.9” Snow/0.22” L.E.

We’re just cloudy now, and there’s nothing of note on the radar, so I’d say this is the end of this system and the totals above are final for the storm.  So it looks like this one contributed just shy of ¼” of liquid equivalent going into the snowpack.  The BTV NWS forecast discussion indicates that the next system is expected to move into the area tonight into tomorrow.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 23.0 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

We’ve got a bit of light snow falling now, but with nothing on the radar, the small size of the flakes, and the low clouds comments about in the BTV NWS forecast discussion, I suspect it’s from low-level moisture.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

635 AM EST Mon Dec 27 2021

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TUESDAY/...

As of 627 AM EST Monday...Low clouds continue to blanket much of the forecast area this morning, with some open patches seen in the St Lawrence Valley, Adirondacks, and south-central VT. However, mid/high cloud are spreading into northern NY ahead of our next system, so even if the low clouds are able to dissipate, don`t anticipate there will be much sun.

18 hours ago, alex said:

My wife and I are installing a 50 amp charging station in our new garage for future electrical vehicles we'll likely own.  We currently have 2 Lexus Hybrids that we love but know the future is in all electric.

• Like 1

Since there was mixed precipitation from this recent system that would have added some crust to the snowpack, my wife and I headed up to Bolton for some snowshoeing today instead of skiing.  We figured we could check out the state of the snowpack while we were there, so I can pass along a quick report.  Indeed there’s just an inch or two of fresh snow above the crust layer in exposed areas, so the backcountry/ungroomed terrain isn’t really ready for great turns in that respect.  We did note that in some protected areas in the trees, there’s no crust because the trees prevented the mixed precipitation from reaching the snow, but that state isn’t consistent enough to really provide great turns.  In general though at elevations above the main base (~2,000’) there’s plenty of natural base snow in place for low to moderate angle terrain that’s well maintained.  One good storm with an inch of L.E. in the form of snow would have that all in play.  Lower Turnpike on the Wilderness uphill route looked like it had great coverage and a nice even base that should produce some fantastic turns as soon as Mother Nature puts down a bit more powder down on it.  The next system is expected to come through tonight, so we’ll see what happens at the resorts.

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.02” L.E.

This morning I found accumulation on the boards from the most recent system affecting the area, which is actually Winter Storm Delphine that more notably affected the northern plains and upper Midwest over the past couple of days.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 27.9 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.5 inches

Cute little event this morning, with some occasional moderate snow with nice dendrites but total of 1.3" from 0.10" LE.  Makes 20 days with snow this month and 12 with measurable, but the 13.6" total is 4.8" BN (if we get no more before Saturday).  Some tomorrow night, perhaps, but looks like no chance of 4"+.  Looks nice and the grandkids get to play in the powdery surface.

• Like 1