joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Heavy graupel and giant flakes.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Got some light snow and dippin dots falling at 1500ft.  Mid-30s.

Down here at 500’ we’ve got a mix of rain and frozen with these strong echoes coming through, but no accumulation to report.

30 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I checked out the 18Z NAM modeling and it actually seems pretty nice – it looks like it moved the snow a bit farther south vs. its previous run and sends a stream of it right through NNE for ~24 hours.

Yep, my post was in reference to the fact that the big slug of rain seems to have broken up on the models.

3 hours ago, TheMainer said:

Nice 90 mile ride yesterday to end 2021 south and west of Greenville, rain seems to have gone away for today and getting a couple inches of snow tomorrow, possibly more Thursday, getting closer every day!

271152711_10218965769678507_303354293399

Is that your blue and Orange sled?  I saw that color blue at the Ski Doo trailer at NH Grass Drags. That one had fluorescent green highlights though. Ski Doo was actually giving it away. I didn’t win :(

I’ve got the latest BTV NWS map updates for the upcoming system, which has been named Winter Storm Frida based on its impact level.  The alerts now contains some Winter Storm Warnings up to the northwest of the BTV NWS CWA, since the heaviest snowfall rates are expected off toward the Saint Lawrence Valley.  The Winter Weather Advisories have also been expanded since the previous update.  The Event Total Snowfall forecast map clearly shows how accumulations are expected to increase to the north and west.  Around here in the Northern Greens, I’m seeing elevation forecasts in the 6-8” range, and there’s just a touch of that yellow 6-8” shading appearing up near Jay Peak.  Down at our site in the valley, the point forecast suggests something in the 3-6” range for snow/sleet accumulations through Sunday night.

01JAN22A.jpg.6512020c45ef6615550aa49440e650d8.jpg

01JAN22B.thumb.jpg.90b9f0c2a4d62dc6c60e2c2f7261a23e.jpg

December numbers
Avg max:  31.6    +1.0     Highest: 44 on the 17th
Avg min:   16.7    +3.5    Lowest:  -3 on the 20th
Mean:       24.2   +2.2

Precip:  3.41"    -1.04"   Biggest day:  0.78" on the 22nd
Snow:   13.7"    -5.0"     Biggest day: 3.6" on the 19th.  Biggest storm: 4.8" on 18-19

2021 summary
Avg temp:  44.00   +2.34   Only 2010 (44.25) was milder.  July was the year's only BN month

Total precip:  38.89"   -9.86   Driest year since 2004.  The 2.18" RA on Oct 31 was the year's greatest by a half inch.

5 hours ago, TheMainer said:

Nice 90 mile ride yesterday to end 2021 south and west of Greenville, rain seems to have gone away for today and getting a couple inches of snow tomorrow, possibly more Thursday, getting closer every day!

271152711_10218965769678507_303354293399

Looks like another 3-6" or so there tomorrow and tomorrow night,

41 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Sunday looks good and the storm Friday is looking good too. Could be a good week for NNE.

Checking on the averages in my numbers, we should be right at 50” of season snowfall as of today (January 1st).  December had a couple of slow snowfall weeks (roughly week 2 and week 4), so we’re only at 35.6” on the season and have some catching up to do.  These next couple of systems could certainly help in that department depending on how they play out.  There’s also a potential midweek system more in the Wed/Thurs timeframe that could help

It’s been interesting seeing that argument among the weenies about whether “losing” December (I assume in terms of snowfall) matters in the scope of the season.  I guess it’s no big deal if you average just a few inches of snow in December; one storm can make up that deficit.  It also doesn’t seem like November snowfall is much of a factor in SNE, but going nearly snowless up here in November and December, that would be a huge hill to climb to get to an average snowfall season in the end.  Missing out on nearly a third of the average snowfall for a season would be more notable up here, where you can’t just make it up in one storm.  It would take several large storms to do it, along with the extra snow required to keep pace with the additional average daily snowfall.

The 2006-2007 season that had 21.9” of snow up to this point just about pulled it off with a strong back half, but that 2015-2016 season with only 14.3” up to this point most certainly did not.

2 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Checking on the averages in my numbers, we should be right at 50” of season snowfall as of today (January 1st).  December had a couple of slow snowfall weeks (roughly week 2 and week 4), so we’re only at 35.6” on the season and have some catching up to do.  These next couple of systems could certainly help in that department depending on how they play out.  There’s also a potential midweek system more in the Wed/Thurs timeframe that could help

It’s been interesting seeing that argument among the weenies about whether “losing” December (I assume in terms of snowfall) matters in the scope of the season.  I guess it’s no big deal if you average just a few inches of snow in December; one storm can make up that deficit.  It also doesn’t seem like November snowfall is much of a factor in SNE, but going nearly snowless up here in November and December, that would be a huge hill to climb to get to an average snowfall season in the end.  Missing out on nearly a third of the average snowfall for a season would be more notable up here, where you can’t just make it up in one storm.  It would take several large storms to do it, along with the extra snow required to keep pace with the additional average daily snowfall.

The 2006-2007 season that had 21.9” of snow up to this point just about pulled it off with a strong back half, but that 2015-2016 season with only 14.3” up to this point most certainly did not.

It's at least felt like winter since late November. We avoided the two wipeout cutters we had on Thanksgiving and Christmas last year that essentially rebooted the winter to start from scratch. That alone has made it feel more wintry overall even if the averages are behind. It's also helped that the valleys around here have decent snow cover. Keeps it from having that jarring feeling of driving down out of Randolph Hill and it's bare grass everywhere.

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Is that your blue and Orange sled?  I saw that color blue at the Ski Doo trailer at NH Grass Drags. That one had fluorescent green highlights though. Ski Doo was actually giving it away. I didn’t win :(

No that's my buddy's 22 Backcountry X package, looks better in person in my opinion. I prefer my black Renegade X, but waivering between a 900 Turbo and a Lynx 850 for my spring order this year. 

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Looks like another 3-6" or so there tomorrow and tomorrow night,

We'd be in decent shape then, hoping that Thursday night into Friday pans out for us as we're 8 inches of wetter snow away from the trails shaping up nicely

1 minute ago, TheMainer said:

No that's my buddy's 22 Backcountry X package, looks better in person in my opinion. I prefer my black Renegade X, but waivering between a 900 Turbo and a Lynx 850 for my spring order this year. 

We'd be in decent shape then, hoping that Thursday night into Friday pans out for us as we're 8 inches of wetter snow away from the trails shaping up nicely

I think next weeks will work out, It’s a fairly large storm so it would cover a lot of area up here.