• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Our 1-2" forecast turned into 0.2" as things quickly dried up.  That has been the typical outcome here on end-of-storm snow change events.  Of course, having only 0.16" total precip for Jan 1-2 mandates not much snowfall.  Solid 6" pack remains and down to 6° this morning.  Probably subzero tomorrow.

Grandkids loved playing in the snow during their 12/21-30 visit, but after they left, we found our dryer full of their snow pants. :(
Now the SNJ forecast is for 4-8" today, perhaps giving them a bigger dump than our tops so far, 4.8", but the kids will have to rough it with non-season clothing (which they will do with gusto).

Greetings from the south! After record warmth and an 80F New Year, we got some deform band love today in NC:

This one reminded me of my Bolton upslope chase from 9 or 10 years ago minus the uphill travel and Subaru: (cell vid)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The Friday system is slipping SE. Couple more op shifts and VT could be smoking cirrus for sure. Then NH. 

flip flop the models go.  Who knows.  Whatever happens happens.  I think this one is magnetically attracted to me and coming this way.  100 % wishcast.  But my confidence is 50 % +/- 20 with a confidence interval of 95.  

7 hours ago, dmcginvt said:

flip flop the models go.  Who knows.  Whatever happens happens.  I think this one is magnetically attracted to me and coming this way.  100 % wishcast.  But my confidence is 50 % +/- 20 with a confidence interval of 95.  

It seems to have come roaring back on the GFS and NAM. 

Starting to see an upslope signal showing up after some of these runs for the Friday coastal, so that could be a saving grace for NW zones that might get fringed. I am hoping I am far enough east to get into the bands. Usually works out here on stiff east winds.

@jculligan this one has the eastern Whites written all over it, IMO.

11 hours ago, mreaves said:

A cool 0.0° here. Must be the UHI effect of Lower Graniteville. 

Haha yea that's the concrete jungle over there, but in actuality it's just a blip on the map to 99% of New England. It was -8 at 7 when I went outside, not sure if that was the low or not but somewhere around there.

1 minute ago, Patriot21 said:

Haha yea that's the concrete jungle over there, but in actuality it's just a blip on the map to 99% of New England. It was -8 at 7 when I went outside, not sure if that was the low or not but somewhere around there.

Lol.  I was just kidding about the UHI. It would actually be a granite jungle more than a concrete one with all the grout piles. 

23 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Lol.  I was just kidding about the UHI. It would actually be a granite jungle more than a concrete one with all the grout piles. 

Lol no I know you were, funny stuff. I don't know if the contract is still in place or not, but when I worked for the National Cemetery Administration all our granite headstones came from Barre, pretty amazing volume wise for such a small town. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Up to 14F at MVL after a min of -8F.

It's cold outside.  This is mid-winter flavor cold the past two days.

Closer to 20 here after the -6 low.  FVE was reporting 5° at 3 PM and the cold valleys HUL/PQI) were well into the minus teens this morning.  A -20 at Estcourt Station would not surprise.

13 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Are NH schools still on break? Probably the most crowded I have ever seen BW on a random Tuesday afternoon. Ski for free day? Lot of big groups. Lift lines at 2:30 is very rare here. 

Shawnee was the same today. Couldn’t figure out why. My girlfriend mentioned that lots of mass schools are back on distance learning. 

• Like 1