Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What are the thoughts for Friday? GFS still prints out some decent upslope, RGEM is also pretty good as a signal.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It looks like ratios would be high, the snow growth zone is down into the summits.  That’s generally a good sign to maximize moisture.

It’s always hard to know what translates over to the mountains of NNH, but what they’ve got in the BTV NWS forecast discussion sounds quite reasonable as usual:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

916 AM EST Thu Jan 6 2022

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH FRIDAY/...

…snow will linger along the Green Mountains late Friday, resulting in total snow accumulations up to 4 inches for locations above 1500 ft.

I’m currently seeing something in the range 2-4” in the point forecast here at our site, and 3-6” for the high elevations along the spine.

The numbers are in range of 0.3”-0.4” of liquid along the spine of the Northern Greens through Saturday on many of the models.  That could certainly produce 3-6” if ratios were high as PF mentioned.

We picked up another tenth of an inch of snow this morning after observations time, and it’s been generally quiet for a while, but there’s just now been a resurgence of flakes with some new echoes on the radar.  The regional radar certainly shows moisture streaming off Lake Ontario in this direction, so the additional flakes may be from that event progressing.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

916 AM EST Thu Jan 6 2022

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH FRIDAY/...

As of 914 AM EST Thursday...Better late than never! The lake effect snow off of Lake Ontario took a bit longer than was initially thought but is now going in full force. Webcams from Potsdam down to Star Lake and Edwards show light snow falling with radar returns filling in across northern New York. There is likely some virga out there this morning, especially as you head into Vermont, with a dry pocket in the low levels but the forecast across southern St. Lawrence looks to be in good shape at this time. We will continue to watch for streamers off Lake Ontario and make adjustments to snowfall totals as needed.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's been snowing pretty good at the ski area.  Only an inch though it looks like, feels like more than that though given the dearth of snowfall lately.

Good lake connection from Lake Ontario and upslope assist.

Yeah it’s felt a bit more like getting back to reality with all the snow in the air today and the snowpack getting a fresh covering.  Around here in the Winooski Valley at least, the snowfall has certainly been the most intense over the past hour or so with some 28 db echoes showing up:

06JAN22A.gif.1e6c095b4e4c89b1b8bfea2f5d6b6e13.gif

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's been snowing pretty good at the ski area.  Only an inch though it looks like, feels like more than that though given the dearth of snowfall lately.

Good lake connection from Lake Ontario and upslope assist.

1830z.gif.c3a539e10a88f52ceea3dd3d38b573f1.gif

WUNIDS_map.gif.025994c9a8dc7d48ac070107e1f53312.gif

What’s the best place to access this radar imagery.  I have a Weather Underground link with multiple options but nothing as clear as this zoomed in.  Thanks.

38 minutes ago, EMontpelierWhiteout said:

What’s the best place to access this radar imagery.  I have a Weather Underground link with multiple options but nothing as clear as this zoomed in.  Thanks.

See if this works:

https://www.wunderground.com/radar/us/vt/burlington/cxx

I think it just defaults to BTV radar but you need to play with the zoom and scans to get it how you want.

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Got a good 2” of fluff today at 1500ft.  Zero moisture, high ratio.

I’m planning to run the next liquid analysis at 6:00 P.M., so we’ll see what kind of ratios we’re getting.    I think this round of snow is substantial enough that I’ll be able to get measurable liquid vs. the earlier rounds today that were sub 0.01” and thus just a trace.

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Got a good 2” of fluff today at 1500ft.  Zero moisture, high ratio.

Yeah, moose fart stuff across the area today for sure. Just kinda floated around here all day.

Hard to complain about a day like today. Good temps, snow falling all day, had BW all to myself, decent conditions, and they opened up a few of my favorite trails. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 1.6” Snow/0.02” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 65.0

Snow Density: 1.5% H2O

Temperature: 28.6 F

Sky: Light Snow (4-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

lol that's awesome.  But it does fit.  It's all air.  Just feathers.

Today we had to travel north to Littleton.  There is more snow down here than in Lincoln and on the other side of Franconia Notch.  Mostly sunny on the downslope side of the Whites and gray and with a few flakes just north.  There is so much more sun down here.  Although I love snow if it isn't going to do that then I'm all for sun and not what seems like endless clouds up north.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Today we had to travel north to Littleton.  There is more snow down here than in Lincoln and on the other side of Franconia Notch.  Mostly sunny on the downslope side of the Whites and gray and with a few flakes just north.  There is so much more sun down here.  Although I love snow if it isn't going to do that then I'm all for sun and not what seems like endless clouds up north.

I get a decent amount of sun here. My spot north of the Whites often clears out when Littleton, Bethlehem, Carroll, etc. are socked in. Happens all the time. Franconia Notch and that general area is always cloudy.

10 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I get a decent amount of sun here. My spot north of the Whites often clears out when Littleton, Bethlehem, Carroll, etc. are socked in. Happens all the time. Franconia Notch and that general area is always cloudy.

The southerly aspect plays a big role too.  You face a great direction.  I know we all like the idea of a dark, shaded north facing spot but in reality, no thanks.  Hard pass.  Humans need sunshine and in a cold climate, it's nice.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The southerly aspect plays a big role too.  You face a great direction.  I know we all like the idea of a dark, shaded north facing spot but in reality, no thanks.  Hard pass.  Humans need sunshine and in a cold climate, it's nice.

Yeah, I get enough cold and snow here that I don't need to max it out by having my house in the middle of the woods. There are some houses around here with zero views surrounded by trees on all sides. I'm sure they have great snow depth numbers but man how can they not want those views to the south?

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.07” L.E.

Winter Storm Garrett started up early this morning in our area, and this was one of those situations where you could easily miss out on the break point between this system and the previous one.  The lull in snowfall between events was relatively short and took place overnight - my final observations from the previous event were at midnight, and this storm was already underway for this morning’s observations.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.07 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0 % H2O

Temperature: 24.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

Calling it 1.1" here as of 10am in Jackson. I did a couple laps at Cranmore earlier this morning, and it seemed like there was just a tad more there. Either way...we're not cashing in like SNE, but I'll take the refresher. 22/19 with light snow continuing.

• Like 2