Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread 2021/2022

PhineasC

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.12” L.E.

The precipitation this morning has generally been sleet, but there’s certainly been some freezing rain as well that has promoted bonding of the sleet together into a frozen mass.  It’s one of those days where coring the samples off the snowboards is really impractical, so the cores are best obtained by melting down the accumulation in the rain gauge outer cylinder.  Scraping down the snowboards is likewise a huge amount of work, so it’s a day for the technique of putting fresh boards in place and melting down the accumulations from the previous round inside.

Also of note is that this event has already brought more liquid equivalent than the 0.08” total suggested from the recent forecast, so it’s been more potent in that regard.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches (sleet)

New Liquid: 0.11 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 1.8

Snow Density: 55.0% H2O

Temperature: 26.6 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

OK, move along now little storm. Go away. 

Whoa… whoa… whoa… are you sure it’s good to push the storm out of here so quickly?  Don’t you want the usual backside snows?  I don’t think we’d want to miss out on that, and many of the models suggest there could be some.

28 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Whoa… whoa… whoa… are you sure it’s good to push the storm out of here so quickly?  Don’t you want the usual backside snows?  I don’t think we’d want to miss out on that, and many of the models suggest there could be some.

Is the cold front coming through there yet? Hopefully that gets things going with some snow showers. I actually received very little precip today, but I just don't like temp spikes. Drip drip drip drives me nuts. :) 

Temp spiked here too! Cold front must be close by. Ended up with 0.8” of sleet/zr, so actually not a bad thing all in all and better than the forecasted <1” of snow. I’ll take an inch of sleet over an inch of snow lol from a skiing base building perspective. Forecast does call for snow showers overnight and again tomorrow night, we’ll see how that goes 

Just now, bwt3650 said:

How did the mountain do?  Was it enough freezing rain to make tomorrow crazy icy, or just a light glaze?

Not sure Stowe but here it shouldn’t have caused any issues, it was mostly sleet. 

PF - Let us know when the snow starts in Stowe so we have our one hour warning that the upslope is starting! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bwt3650 said:

How did the mountain do?  Was it enough freezing rain to make tomorrow crazy icy, or just a light glaze?

Below 2500ft I found a zipper crust that was noticeable in untracked off-piste areas.  Can see a plate of crust on my skis for example.

32ABAE1D-430D-46EB-A62A-C9F2B0EDA977.jpeg.d4c0cff20c908e2073522f75bf170c85.jpeg 

Up higher it skied much better… dense but sand-like.

25777F09-8DC1-4CF4-8502-94EF4638C2F9.jpeg.6d84264a6789d54b012fbd64a8838f80.jpeg

C8B1A3DB-25AD-40AA-9764-3AE084C60E4A.jpeg.a764a08ed025d3cf8b18adfed0a1ad0d.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I was just returning some thawed snowboards outside and the precipitation seems to be mainly snow now in this area.  The flakes are small – generally a mm or two.

Thanks, was waiting for some obs to my west. What's your temp? 

Radar looks pretty healthy for some snow showers/squalls later.

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I was just returning some thawed snowboards outside and the precipitation seems to be mainly snow now in this area.  The flakes are small – generally a mm or two.

Noticed on radar that the real cold front boundary seems to be creating some squalls.  That looks like some squally snows... wind is roaring here at times.  That gusty WSW flow ahead of a FROPA is classic. Then we'll get a brief heavy burst of snow and wind.... followed by some brutal cold coming tomorrow night through Tuesday night.

360665482_Jan9ColdFront.gif.93c24b073310255c568dd250510b4988.gif

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Looks like it's snowing pretty good on the Pittsburg web cams, so it probably won't be too much longer

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Below 2500ft I found a zipper crust that was noticeable in untracked off-piste areas.  Can see a plate of crust on my skis for example.

32ABAE1D-430D-46EB-A62A-C9F2B0EDA977.jpeg.d4c0cff20c908e2073522f75bf170c85.jpeg 

Up higher it skied much better… dense but sand-like.

25777F09-8DC1-4CF4-8502-94EF4638C2F9.jpeg.6d84264a6789d54b012fbd64a8838f80.jpeg

C8B1A3DB-25AD-40AA-9764-3AE084C60E4A.jpeg.a764a08ed025d3cf8b18adfed0a1ad0d.jpeg

Thanks…heading up for a few weeks tomorrow and going to try to brave the cold, but wanted to see what conditions were.  Jay is guaranteed to have holds so I’m hoping k-mart or stowe has something to the upper mountain, even if I only get a couple hours in.  Tuesday may be a no go anywhere with temps, though if the wind dies down enough, below zero doesn’t bother me.  Weds may be the day at jay before the mlk crowds start to build.

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The temperature I'm currently seeing here is 33.4 F; I haven’t been following it too closely, but I did see it up around 35 F earlier today.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Thanks…heading up for a few weeks tomorrow and going to try to brave the cold, but wanted to see what conditions were.  Jay is guaranteed to have holds so I’m hoping k-mart or stowe has something to the upper mountain, even if I only get a couple hours in.  Tuesday may be a no go anywhere with temps, though if the wind dies down enough, below zero doesn’t bother me.  Weds may be the day at jay before the mlk crowds start to build.

I won't lie, snow conditions do not improve when the temperature drops to -30C at H85 level.  It just doesn't.  Snow becomes slow, crystals are grabby.  Any residual moisture is frozen solid in an absolute way.  It's just cold and the snow surface changes.  Unless there is decent snowfall right ahead of it or with it, I do think turning conditions will be variable on the firm/crusty side.

Snow conditions often improve greatly on the rebound side of the arctic shot.  When it goes arctic, and then moderates to like 25F, the snow seems to loosen up very nicely.  Best turns IMO will be on the rebound side of the cold shot.

59 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

You may not care and that’s your choice but FYI….if you go to Killington you may not want to refer to it as K-mart if you want to get along with locals.  It’s not well received here.  Again, maybe you don’t care.  And I doubt anyone would correct you or say anything to you if you say it.  But it definitely defines you as an outsider here because none of us would ever call it that since it’s derogatory. If you really want to shorten it then K-town is OK or just K is fine. We jokingly call it Killingtime occasionally. Lol

• Haha 2