• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

RA/dz most of the day, probably <0.05", just enough to keep things wet on the surface.  
July temps 1-18:  2.5° BN - maxima: -6.2°; minima: +1.2°
14 of 18 days have had BN maxima while 11 have had AN mimima.  
Current average diurnal range is 14.3° and today will shrink that a bit.  July's smallest range so far is 16.8°, another 2009 score.

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’d like 20” for the month. Wednesday will help . How many of anyone in New England can see a 20” month of rainfall. I just hope I get there . Kind of a cool thing for me being an extreme wx lover. We’ll see 

What's the difference if it's 15 or 20 spread out? If you want real excitement, get half of that in 6 hrs or less. Then I can see it. Otherwise it's just been cloudy and shitty. At least with snow, you can see the additional snowfall. The ground doesn't care if 15" or 20" fall. It's still wet. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What's the difference if it's 15 or 20 spread out? If you want real excitement, get half of that in 6 hrs or less. Then I can see it. Otherwise it's just been cloudy and shitty. At least with snow, you can see the additional snowfall. The ground doesn't care if 15" or 20" fall. It's still wet. 

If you're gonna go, go big!

It's actually really nice here ...save for that rumble of thunder I just heard - wtf.

anyway, sun popped out and it jolted 76.   Shows that this is a "fake" cool air mass, entirely self engineered by weird synoptic feedback of this stationary nodal trough.

I almost wonder if the ridges, W and SE of 90 W are causing this to spontaneously implode the heights because seriously, there's no S/W mechanical feed into this region and there really has not been very substantial. It just keeps parting then we fill it in with clouds and showers

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's actually really nice here ...save for that rumble of thunder I just heard - wtf.

anyway, sun popped out and it jolted 76.   Shows that this is a "fake" cool air mass, entirely self engineered by weird synoptic feedback of this stationary nodal trough.

I almost wonder if the ridges, W and SE of 90 W are causing this to spontaneously implode the heights because seriously, there's no S/W mechanical feed into this region and there really has not been very substantial. It just keeps parting then we fill it in with clouds and showers

How’s the weeds.. I mean lawn looking?

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

How’s the weeds.. I mean lawn looking?

Actually ...best this lawns ever looked frankly.   Not just for July,     ever

The Irish sent representative but they reported back they couldn't compete.    Plus rabbits - what the f is with all the g-damn rabbits. 

I swear, the next plague is gonna be like the Hunta Virus but linked to rabbits.  And their brazen too ... they just sit there and a stare you down, like the one from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.   One was even hopping sort of toward me.  Really ?   They don't seem to be afraid of people.  It's a not a joke. They are infesting. Great numbers. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Strong Niña just issued by govt today. It’s already over

Didn't see anything in their discussion indicating strong event?  Modeling trends are mainly on the weak side overall, which has been the expectation for quite a while now...

40 minutes ago, 512high said:

Cant be worse then last year.....can it? (please no)

Over the years, I've never been overly worried about a weak La Nina; they can workout ok for New England.  Trying to simplify a winter outlook based almost solely on the enso is foolhardy, especially given the recent trend of winter enso events not adhering to many of the rule of thumb winter composites.   Old rules may not be as valid, as we once thought???

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FXWX said:

Didn't see anything in their discussion indicating strong event?  Modeling trends are mainly on the weak side overall, which has been the expectation for quite a while now...

I’ve seen quite a bit of scuttlebutt out there that it will be strong . If it is… it’s over before it begins . Hopefully you’re right with a weak Niña forecast 

• Like 1

Killer heatwave in the Midwest on this GFS run. 

That ridge out there has been flexing in the late mid extended range for a few cycles …some runs more than others. So far the models are insistent on a bleeding at all south west of us but it could be really interesting for Chicago

Also has a kind of 1930s look to it overall 

Days like today where maxes are -10 to -15 but minimums are high, often leads to a cold narrative if it were winter.  When people are awake, out and about, it’s colder than normal.  In the winter no one cares if the nights are warmer than normal.  23F instead of 13F, big deal if the high is 30F.  In the summer the minimum temperatures seem to be used more by some as evidence of a “warm month” as opposed to the highs.

It’s 62/62 here with 0.5sm fog.  Drainages fog out quick in these setups.  

• Like 1