Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter 2021

doncat

17 hours ago, etudiant said:

Interesting to hear, they have likewise just really begun to be heard here in NYC Central Park. I've only seen one thus far on my daily walks, but there are scattered individuals audible as well.

There is nothing like the 'brood of the century' hype that was widely posted in the media. In fact, thus far it is a pretty spotty performance, even compared to last year.

I think they stayed south of us.  Likewise the hot summer that was predicted went west of us lol.

21 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

so many people can't seem to grasp that periodical cicadas and annual cicadas are completely different animals 

Yeah the ones we're seeing are the annual ones.  But even those seem to be coming later than they used to.  When I first moved to long island during the 80s they consistently came in the first week of July (80s-00s).  Over the last decade or so, they've come later, in the last few days of July.  I wonder why this is?

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yeah the ones we're seeing are the annual ones.  But even those seem to be coming later than they used to.  When I first moved to long island during the 80s they consistently came in the first week of July (80s-00s).  Over the last decade or so, they've come later, in the last few days of July.  I wonder why this is?

I've been hearing them for the past 2 to 3 weeks

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 4:46 PM, rclab said:

I only heard what sounded like a mournful lonely one in the sycamores, this past Tuesday. For that little ones sad song, cicada and celibacy will have to rhyme. As always …

Afaik, they do actually eat, unlike some other adult insects, so they can last longer than you might think

Still, appreciate the mental image of a lonely cicada belting out its courtship song into an empty void....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/29/2021 at 4:03 PM, etudiant said:

Interesting to hear, they have likewise just really begun to be heard here in NYC Central Park. I've only seen one thus far on my daily walks, but there are scattered individuals audible as well.

There is nothing like the 'brood of the century' hype that was widely posted in the media. In fact, thus far it is a pretty spotty performance, even compared to last year.

The ones we hear now are the run of of mill cidadas that are around every year in mid to late summer.  I read somewhere the much hyped, 17 yr cycle ones are not very prevalent in/around NYC anymore for whatever reason. Increased development, espcially in the suburbs probably. Every new sprawling condo complex or houses and its accompanying parking lot kill some off when its time to resurface. That happens everywhere though so any other factors I dunno. There are more as you go south of NYC, espically by the time to get to DC area, and west to PA as well.

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

the worst of summer is over in nyc..i been enjoying these nice low dew point days..

yeah once past the first week of August the sunsets are noticeably earlier and it gets harder and harder to sustain a heat wave...exceptions of course-August 2002 being one of them.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

yeah once past the first week of August the sunsets are noticeably earlier and it gets harder and harder to sustain a heat wave...exceptions of course-August 2002 being one of them.

That wouldn't be an issue this time. The upcoming heat wave will easily be the longest and possibly hottest period of the summer. 

Models already showing near 600 heights and upper 90s for next week and we know things tend to trend hotter as we get closer. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

That wouldn't be an issue this time. The upcoming heat wave will easily be the longest and possibly hottest period of the summer. 

Models already showing near 600 heights and upper 90s for next week and we know things tend to trend hotter as we get closer. 

Can you post a map showing near 600 heights. I'm seeing more 588 to 591. Heights do not look that impressive to me considering the high temp models are spitting out. Warming climate I guess.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

if the wind direction is southerly, temps will be capped off at 95 at most

• Rjay unpinned this topic