Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2021 Discussion/Obs

CAPE

4 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Yes! 

My son's bday party is at the local pool on Saturday afternoon.. May need to reschedule. Looks like a monsoon for us in N MD Saturday morning on the Euro

argh, yeah we are having friends/family over to celebrate our birthdays, didn't wanna do it on the 4th because i know many have plans elsewhere that day. really hoping that rain can move out before the afternoon saturday.

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

EJ lost 4” of rain off the euro. 

Does the Euro have anything for the Caribbean system this weekend?  Flying to St. Thomas Saturday and seeing the GFS with something the day we fly in has me a smidge nervous.

58 minutes ago, mappy said:

argh, yeah we are having friends/family over to celebrate our birthdays, didn't wanna do it on the 4th because i know many have plans elsewhere that day. really hoping that rain can move out before the afternoon saturday.

12z euro looks much better for outside plans Saturday. Looks like still a chance of showers but not the wash out the 00z was painting.  

Temps well into the 80's

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

12z euro looks much better for outside plans Saturday. Looks like still a chance of showers but not the wash out the 00z was painting.  

Temps well into the 80's

so theres still a chance! thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dailylurker said:

I remember back in the 80's when I was a kid the sky was white with smog and haze on hot humid days. Seems like even on the hottest days now the sky is still really blue. I remember not even being able to see cumulus clouds building. 

Hot and humid under blue sky.

We were talking about the exact same thing yesterday!  We were on the deck and saw a Southwest Airlines plane with its distinctive colors way up there and said what ever happened to the old "hazy hot and humid?"  Like you said back in the 70s and 80s the sky was milky looking and even the damn air was bright from haze.  These days we have really clear air with the heat.  It's nice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dailylurker said:

I remember back in the 80's when I was a kid the sky was white with smog and haze on hot humid days. Seems like even on the hottest days now the sky is still really blue. I remember not even being able to see cumulus clouds building. 

Hot and humid under blue sky.

11 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

We were talking about the exact same thing yesterday!  We were on the deck and saw a Southwest Airlines plane with its distinctive colors way up there and said what ever happened to the old "hazy hot and humid?"  Like you said back in the 70s and 80s the sky was milky looking and even the damn air was bright from haze.  These days we have really clear air with the heat.  It's nice.

Environmental protection and pollution reduction can work. 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

The haze is a combo of water vapor and pollution. This has been a short lived "heat wave"- the ridge is already weakening. Also the low level air has been pretty well mixed. If we had a ridge sitting overhead for multiple days with an inversion/subsidence, you would see some haze develop.

Just now, flsch22 said:

apparently LWX doesn't issue heat advisories anymore

They do, but there is a criteria for issuance.

I know it's HI of 105 over here, which is why there has not been one issued. Highest HI here has been 98. There is a chance tomorrow.

Just got back from 4 days at Chincoteague.  First time there.  Got an OSV pass and had a couple hundred yards of beach to ourselves on Sunday.  Was close to being an Old Milwaukee Light commercial (their slogan in the 80's was "It doesn't get any better than this!").  SST's are in the low/mid 70's there, so with a constant onshore breeze of 15-20mph and air temps in the low 80's it was actually borderline chilly at times under the sun shade.  Driving back today the thermometer on our car nudged up a degree or two every 10-20 miles as we moved away from the Atlantic.  When we got back to FFCO and opened the doors, it was a reminder of why we went to the beach.  Stifling.  Still 88/76dp

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flsch22 said:

HI was 99 at DCA and IAD last hour.  that should be close enough

If the criteria is a heat index of 105 and it's not breaching 100...why would they issue one? Everyone knows it's hot out - I sort of get why LWX has a tendency to over warn on severe weather - but heat advisories are definitely an area they can afford to be conservative on. 

They have communicated the heat/humidity well enough - and so has the local media. 

I'm not saying heat isn't dangerous (especially for sensitive groups) but it's one of those things (unlike certain severe wx situations) you don't need an advisory to tell you about to understand the risk/danger. 

If the general public needs a big orange advisory to tell them "drink lots of fluids when it's hot out" - they might have an issue.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

If the criteria is a heat index of 105 and it's not breaching 100...why would they issue one? Everyone knows it's hot out - I sort of get why LWX has a tendency to over warn on severe weather - but heat advisories are definitely an area they can afford to be conservative on. 

They have communicated the heat/humidity well enough - and so has the local media. 

I'm not saying heat isn't dangerous (especially for sensitive groups) but it's one of those things (unlike certain severe wx situations) you don't need an advisory to tell you about to understand the risk/danger. 

If the general public needs a big orange advisory to tell them "drink lots of fluids when it's hot out" - they might have an issue.

psst they issued one :lol: 

There is a slight risk for excessive rainfall tomorrow into Friday per WPC.

Trend on guidance has definitely been away from a slowly moving/stalling front. Good news, as the weekend looks to be mostly dry and Sunday looks especially nice. It should also lower the risk for heavy/excessive rains. Probably a general 1-2" with some locally higher amounts and some jip zones. The usual.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic