Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

25 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Is size an issue on the stackable?  We just recently purchased a GE package at Yale.  This is the washer.  We will have it stacked with the Dryer.  After doing our research GE has the best repair history of all the major brands.  We also went thru Yale since they do all the service if you ever have any issues.

https://www.yaleappliance.com/laundry/full-size/front-load-washers/GFW850SPNRS 

They’ll need to slide into a closet with a 32x80 door. I see most are 27-31” wide. Height will need to be <80 I would think. 

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

They’ll need to slide into a closet with a 32x80 door. I see most are 27-31” wide. Height will need to be <80 I would think. 

Just watch for the clearance on the dryer exhaust.  You'll need and additional several inches on either the width or depth depending upon where you have it set up.  32x80 door is standard for a Laundry, so you're all set there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That’s terrible.   Our washing machine (and dryer) are from 1996.   We just replaced our oven that was 25 years old.  Our first refrigerator was still in good shape at age 18 when we replaced it due to size. 
I doubt our new fridge and stove last anywhere near that

My parents bought us an upright freezer - Kenmore IIRC - in 1974 when we lived in BGR and I was in UMaine forestry school.  Our current home had no good place for it so we left it to the new owners of the Gardiner house in May 1998, still running like new despite our repeated attempts to kill it.  They don't make them that way any more.
Our first house in Ft. Kent was small - 18x20 with 2 stories - and it had an attached unheated wood shed.  Over 4 winters we'd pull the plug in mid-Dec and plug it back in early in March, to save on the light bill.  We later found that was an absolute non-no, keeping the freezer in unheated space.  In Gardiner we hosted our church's food pantry in our basement "freezer room" for 6 years 1991-97, making weekly trips to Good Shepherd food bank in Auburn, serving 100+ clients and disbursing about 25,000 lb/yr.  The freezer was filled with both pantry stuff and our own, kept carefully separated.  My dad died in Dec 1993 leaving the NH house empty.  We'd make overnight trips about once a month to prep the house for estate auction (contents only) and eventual sale.  Another church member had a key in case there was a need while we were away.  On one of those excursions in summer 1994 we got back about 11:45 PM on Saturday and went to bed.  About 7 the next morning I looked in the pantry and saw a river of melted ice cream running across the floor.  Evidently, a client had been taken to the pantry while we were away, and somehow the freezer door was left 2" ajar - for anywhere from 20 hours to twice that.  Everything thawed, but the constantly running 20-year-old motor maintained refrigerator temps so little was spoiled beyond the IC.  Why the machine didn't die then, we'll never know.  Sadly, there was about 50 lb left of a very tasty deer I'd taken the previous Nov, and with a major heat wave, I chose to cook all of it outside on the grill the next day - wasn't quite as good as it had been when cooked up fresh.  :(

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Just watch for the clearance on the dryer exhaust.  You'll need and additional several inches on either the width or depth depending upon where you have it set up.  32x80 door is standard for a Laundry, so you're all set there.

Thanks. All good points. It’s a closet designated for a stackable washer/dryer, so I assume standard specs will suffice. It’s new construction, so once I can get back in there with a tape measure, I’ll have a better idea. 

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

Thanks. All good points. It’s a closet designated for a stackable washer/dryer, so I assume standard specs will suffice. It’s new construction, so once I can get back in there with a tape measure, I’ll have a better idea. 

I'm going to assume the dryer will be set up for rear vent.  If it's new construction, the vent is typically set up at the floor level.  Depth of the closet should be close to 36"

26 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, it makes no sense.  I’m sure numbers would still be alarmingly high if we tested every man, woman and child in the US.

If cases are mild who cares? 

That’s been my point for months. There’s a lot of virus circulating. Just because you can pick up a bit on a PCR test from a nasal swab, doesn’t mean a person is infected or even capable of transmitting it. There’s a little thing called viral load. I’m not sure why there is still routine testing in vaccinated people. Just causes confusion and fear. The CDC said a couple months ago that routine testing of vaccinated people should end. 

I’ve said before that if you pulled 20,000 per week off the street in Boston and did a PCR test for measles you’d find it in a certain percentage. Not as much as Covid because there’s not as much measles that circulate. But the fact you find it in vaccinated people doesn’t mean we hide in fear, shut down, and mask up because we found some measles in a vaxed person nose that no danger to them or anyone else that’s vaxed for measles. 

Phin and I disagreee on several things, but he’s spot on when he says this is now a case-demic. That said, everyone who can should still get vaxed.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Covid talk is boring and so last year.  We've moved on locally.

There’s irony to when some folks who long ago stated it’s over, we’ve moved on, no longer pay attention to the news, it’s only the afraid that still care, etc but then still discuss it 24/7 still.  But COVID affected everyone differently.

But then again this thread is the only place for COVID talk or news if you truly do not pay attention to the media.

59 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Don't get me started on washer and dryers. But bought extended warranties and so far in 3 years 4 different repairs, 2 on each. Didnt cost me anything but time waiting for repair man sucked. We often foster puppies and washing and drying cloth pee pads is a must. Otherwise its only us 2 and in the summer its only tees shorts underwear and towels for me, women well we all know... lol

Yeah it’s the only appliance I’ve ever got extended warranties on.  Our washer broke within a year of getting it.  Took two weeks for a repairman to get the part and put it in. Covered by warranty but man two weeks without a washer in the winter with daily ski clothes sucked lol.  Running to the laundromat every like 4th day to make sure base layers and socks are stocked up.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I buy extended warranties with major appliances.  Our neighbor is a repair man and he said the failure rate on new washing machines nowadays is one in four within 3 years.   That is ridiculous and sad.

- it's 'Planned Obsolescence' coming back.

In the late 1950s and 60s there was a legislation and codification of laws against manufacturing practices that attempted to set up time-clock failure.

It's a catch-22 in economics, though.

Longer ranting version: So they ratified back then.. But, "back then" even the better industrial manufacturing standards were only going to last so long - corporate Americana fought back by espousing "new and improved" to justify raising prices - code for, 'we're no longer screwing the consumer'.  

Go figure... the 1970s showed really poor base-line economic profiling?  It wasn't just oil embargoes causing that. 

As an aside: American capitalism was always doomed to be a throw-away system.  Greed orgasm before projection, stripping environmental resources became easier than recycling to make products that replaced that which was originally destined not to last and just get thrown away.   That's why we have all them defunct land-fill hills outside of Americana U.S. ... given kitschy tongue-in-cheek names like "Mt Trashmore" ...etc.  Letting off industrial farts from decades ago. They even have stove pipes for out-gassing.

This is the interesting aspect...  Refinement, in both computer/chip technologies and in material sciences, feed back and that state-of-the-art has sophisticated to the point where they really can put together machines that last - if they want, so putting those in then gives the proxy back to the consumer and the corporation once again, cannot make there economic -relative profit margins again.   Which is really got greed ambition built into all that but ... different cynicism.

So here's how they combat that:  it gets too difficult to prove; component analysis for the elaborate arrays spaghetti logic ... renders to a veritable state of dyscalculia when dissecting modern industrial devices - its impossible to prove in all that where/what/why as failure is often a result of when two parts are operating together, as opposed to just one of them not working at all. That requires secondary and tertiary ... polynomial recursive testing to prove and that cannot be done in practicum. 

.... and sociopathic industry knows that - 

SO,    "Moore's Law" improves everything, except that which applies to where money is being made?  you now ...cars and appliances - yeah, that's not suspect.   whatever -  

There will probably be a crack down again at some point .. cyclic I suppose.  For one, the non-sustainability of environmental impact from Humanity's carbon footprint ...isn't just what we burn in the daily fossil fuels.  That base-line energy generation is integral in that entire model above, so to really get ahead of what WILL propel this mass-extinction event forward should there be no reduction, will also have to effect this shit above.   It's possible to power humanity using technology so slick we don't need the old model of internal combustion turning magnets inside of copper coils - it's like we taken that model as far as it can go, both in practice and in peril, because to continue doing so, will end us.  Necessity tends to breed invention - and frankly. I've heard of private scientist that found ways of extracting electricity out of the free air. It's all a f'ing joke anyway. 

I said this weeks ago....but.....none of the delta covid "breakthrough" talk is compelling when it's not killing or hospitalizing vaccinated people. It's just not really a story if vaxxed people test positive but aren't getting any serious symptoms.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, bch2014 said:

It’s a story when people are canceling meetings, skipping work, etc for breakthrough, asymptomatic infections. 

We’ll never be able to regain “normalcy” until we stop testing asymptomatic people.

There's definitely some that are overreacting to it. It's unfortunate when it affects everyone else.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I said this weeks ago....but.....none of the delta covid "breakthrough" talk is compelling when it's not killing or hospitalizing vaccinated people. It's just not really a story if vaxxed people test positive but aren't getting any serious symptoms.

Sad is they are kicking vaxxed athletes out of the Olympics even if they aren't sick but test positive 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sad is they are kicking vaxxed athletes out of the Olympics even if they aren't sick but test positive 

What I don’t understand is why this is happening. Medical professionals and scientists know better, including Fauci.  I’m not talking about your run of the mill basic MD. A lot of them only know what the PDR tells them. I’m talking about the MDs and PhDs who are real live immunologists, virologist, molecular biologists etc who treat patients, run labs, publish peer reviewed science. They know better.