yoda

2021 Mid-Atlantic Foodie and Drank Thread

Still one of my favorite things to do on the smoker.  Whole chicken, brined in salt/sugar water then covered in butter with spices that are almost Peruvian like.  Fried plantains and rice on the side.

0EEBF6E6-8C26-449C-957B-3D25812B5B8E.jpeg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, LP08 said:

Still one of my favorite things to do on the smoker.  Whole chicken, brined in salt/sugar water then covered in butter with spices that are almost Peruvian like.  Fried plantains and rice on the side.

0EEBF6E6-8C26-449C-957B-3D25812B5B8E.jpeg

that looks good...what spices were in the rub and what type of wood did you use and what temp did you run and how long was the cook?

may have other questions later

16 minutes ago, MacChump said:

that looks good...what spices were in the rub and what type of wood did you use and what temp did you run and how long was the cook?

may have other questions later

Black pepper, salt, paprika, thyme, oregano, garlic, onion powder and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  I didn't use any wood this time but the bird drippings provide plenty of smoke without it(family complains it gets too smoky) so its just charcoal at 275-300 for 3 hours.  Think the key is to pat the bird down with a paper towel then coat the whole thing in butter.  It's kind of a mix flavor between a greek style versus Peruvian but we went with plantains and rice instead of Taziki and hummus this go 'round.

I use Hardwood Hickory Lump charcoal.  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Black pepper, salt, paprika, thyme, oregano, garlic, onion powder and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  I didn't use any wood this time but the bird drippings provide plenty of smoke without it(family complains it gets too smoky) so its just charcoal at 275-300 for 3 hours.  Think the key is to pat the bird down with a paper towel then coat the whole thing in butter.  It's kind of a mix flavor between a greek style versus Peruvian but we went with plantains and rice instead of Taziki and hummus this go 'round.

I use Hardwood Hickory Lump charcoal.  

thanks, sounds great! the cinnamon is a surprise, may have to try that some time

7 minutes ago, MacChump said:

thanks, sounds great! the cinnamon is a surprise, may have to try that some time

It mixes well when you use thyme, oregano, parsely, basil when you really want to get a good Greek flavor.  Not on the smoker, but I cut chicken breasts into strips, grill them, then chop and toss them in the skillet with olive oil and the mix and it makes a mean Greek flavored chicken.  Get some good NAAN with the taziki, hummus, cucumbers and tomatoes and its a crowd pleaser.

• Like 3

i haven't been cooking much these last few days, but tonight I made chicken francese, served over rice and with asparagus roasted with garlic.

francese 2021.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, LP08 said:

It mixes well when you use thyme, oregano, parsely, basil when you really want to get a good Greek flavor.  Not on the smoker, but I cut chicken breasts into strips, grill them, then chop and toss them in the skillet with olive oil and the mix and it makes a mean Greek flavored chicken.  Get some good NAAN with the taziki, hummus, cucumbers and tomatoes and its a crowd pleaser.

I use cinnamon quite a bit in my rubs and a lot of seasonings.  Its all personal preference, obviously.  I think it really adds another dimension to the flavor of beef especially.  That chicken looks awesome!  Ive been on a spatchcock chicken kick here recently on charcoal the grill....   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

I use cinnamon quite a bit in my rubs and a lot of seasonings.  Its all personal preference, obviously.  I think it really adds another dimension to the flavor of beef especially.  That chicken looks awesome!  Ive been on a spatchcock chicken kick here recently on charcoal the grill....   

I spatchcock my chickens, as well. Run them at 425 direct in the dome on my BGE for about 45 minutes, then place a pan underneath to finish indirect.

Every once in a while, I’ll break down a chicken and cook the pieces, but I’ve found that spatchcock is a phenomenal way to go with birds.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, poolz1 said:

13 hours ago, mattie g said:

I spatchcock my chickens, as well. Run them at 425 direct in the dome on my BGE for about 45 minutes, then place a pan underneath to finish indirect.

Every once in a while, I’ll break down a chicken and cook the pieces, but I’ve found that spatchcock is a phenomenal way to go with birds.

yeah spatchcocking is the shit...love the spatchcock...couple years ago I picked up a small turkey on sale like the day after thanksgiving and spatchcocked the hell out of it 

edited to add: i forgot until i really looked at this picture again how deformed this turkey was, one breast was like triple the size of the other :shrug:

26C6A904-568D-461F-AD22-C0B1E192DE6D.jpeg

• Haha 1

Love seeing all the food posts in here. It all looks excellent yall. Ive been trying to eat better and more "clean" for several months now but you can still have some pretty good meals that are relatively healthy as by example in this topic.  That said, vegan chicken is NOT good lol...had it for lunch today, it basically tastes and feels like chewing rubber. I can do the beyond/impossible burgers and some vegan pork bbq, but the chicken is a no go for me!  I only had it btw because my GF bought it yet she wont eat it so itll go to waste so why she buys it ill never know:lol: Back to regular cluckers it is

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Love seeing all the food posts in here. It all looks excellent yall. Ive been trying to eat better and more "clean" for several months now but you can still have some pretty good meals that are relatively healthy as by example in this topic.  That said, vegan chicken is NOT good lol...had it for lunch today, it basically tastes and feels like chewing rubber. I can do the beyond/impossible burgers and some vegan pork bbq, but the chicken is a no go for me!  I only had it btw because my GF bought it yet she wont eat it so itll go to waste so why she buys it ill never know:lol: Back to regular cluckers it is

I've heard some good feedback on the Impossible burgers. Doesn't Burger King offer one? I've been meaning to try it, but I need to go like a whole DAY without eating before tackling a Whopper anymore.  :) 

19 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I've heard some good feedback on the Impossible burgers. Doesn't Burger King offer one? I've been meaning to try it, but I need to go like a whole DAY without eating before tackling a Whopper anymore.  :) 

They do and its ok, but we prefer buying ones at the market (Sprouts market to be specific) and season it up ourselves and put different toppings on it. The other day we had them with desert heat seasoning, tomato, avocado and mayo and chili ketchup

• Like 1

Had a little trip to Tampa with the wife and had some really good food while we were there. I’ll post a few of my fav from the trip

d28a6dfc1ef45f3f6316c7f6959b0b04.jpg

Ribeye Oscar from Del Frisco’s Grille

0c2e7ba06c5b0a5c4d73c9292281aa10.jpg

Tacos Barria from Rocco’s Tacos & Tequila

8741b37712875c9e13e1df68b719ad29.jpg

Chicken and Waffles with strawberry compound butter from Metro Diner

The last one was my favorite bite of the whole trip. The chicken was absolutely dynamite. Best fried chicken I’ve had from a non-fast food spot. I’ll have to remember to take pictures of food I cook next time. I keep forgetting. Keep posting the wonderful food y’all

• Like 10

tonight's salad is tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions quick pickled in balsamic vinegar and a little sugar. and because I really wanted a steak, dinner is a sous vide boneless ribeye finished on the stovetop (because it was raining). sides were mini-baked potatoes and roasted asparagus with garlic.

may 2021 salad.jpg

may 2021 sous vide steak.jpg

• Like 8

Not overpowering for this IPA I picked up at Total wine. Had never heard of the brewery but it’s very good.  Thin Man Brewery in Buffalo.

FDF35B9F-6593-4FB4-86FB-F03F5D103C93.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WeatherShak said:

Poured TWO Fair Winds IPAs into this bad boy.

13d487640bbaff5221f7c145d00c83de.jpg&key=5bf813fc23298b7a5518f260d4fe164a5d3b4bd3b61140e18ea80fc9947e3c0e

Sixers lose to the pelicans without Zion I’m not watching another game

Edit: phew

• Like 1

Its been over a year since this house has been a bachelor pad for a night.  Found thawed ground beef in the fridge along with 2 beers, leftover ciabatta on the counter, a fresh bag of regular UTZ in the pantry.....  Added a slice of provolone, onions, LT&M and ketchup with a side pickle.  Ground beef courtesy of Frederick CO. 4H.  Purchased last fall after the Great Fred Fair.

ilwlP1V.jpg

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Its been over a year since this house has been a bachelor pad for a night.  Found thawed ground beef in the fridge along with 2 beers, leftover ciabatta on the counter, a fresh bag of regular UTZ in the pantry.....  Added a slice of provolone, onions, LT&M and ketchup with a side pickle.  Ground beef courtesy of Frederick CO. 4H.  Purchased last fall after the Great Fred Fair.

ilwlP1V.jpg

mad props, what a breakfast

On 5/5/2021 at 1:15 PM, MacChump said:

On 5/5/2021 at 1:26 PM, LP08 said:

On 5/5/2021 at 8:49 PM, poolz1 said:

Cinnamon is a hidden gem when it comes to rubs and spice mixes. It is used mostly in Mediterranean but I have used it in Spanish and Mexican spice rubs as well. Making a quiche… put in some Nutmeg. Elevates the overall taste.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

Cinnamon is a hidden gem when it comes to rubs and spice mixes. It is used mostly in Mediterranean but I have used it in Spanish and Mexican spice rubs as well. Making a quiche… put in some Nutmeg. Elevates the overall taste.  

That shrimp and broccoli....wow!

Agreed. Especially in Spanish and Mexican dishes.  One of my favorites is pork tacos from leftover pulled pork.  Cook in the cast iron, constantly deglazing, adding spices, squeezing lime juice.  Pork get crispy and so flavorful...the cinnamon works well with it.  Crispy pork tacos are one of my favorites and I am usually forcing myself to stop eating.

• Like 2