Bob's Burgers

Severe Event March 25th 2021

There's no specific requirement not to discuss ratings--I think it's reasonable to expect somewhere along path you'll see EF4+ reports...but remember that radars, unless they're DOWs are not measuring the wind AT THE GROUND. That's super critical and why you can't take "wow look at this gate to gate shear" stuff verbatim--that's what's happening a few k feet up. Friction is real, yo. El Reno was an EF5 according to DOW...it's rated EF3. Why? No structures were hit that verified EF5. Same for the Bassfield tornado. Had an EF5 signature at times and would be super easy to believe a monster that big, on the ground that long, produced EF5 winds in a sub vortex somewhere...but clearly didn't do so over a place for which EF5 criteria could be applied. This long track, fatality producing tornado...seems rather clearly destined for EF4+ status with a special wikipedia subsection dedicated to it within the discussion about the overall event. EF5 could have verified if the tornado had gone straight through Brent...looked particularly nasty around then. It may still verify...that's what damage surveys are for. In general though..remember that velocities do not tell you what's happening at the ground unless you're right next to the radar site like now, or using a DOW. It's useful to know what the G2G is, but really the better measure is how high up debris gets lofted. There's a somewhat direct correlation btwn debris height and strength of the tornado. 

• Like 5

Just now, JasonOH said:

I’m pretty sure it’s still a tornado. Based on radar I think it hasn’t lifted at all.

0.3KFT g2g is ~150mph right now. Imagine it could be *actually* even stronger.

26 minutes ago, SluggerWx said:

He went to pass someone and they veered into his lane for some strange reason. Last thing I heard was "Don't you do it..."

MacLeroy (or his driver) probably should not have attempted to pass on a double yellow.  The other driver was apparently attempting a very slow left turn without signaling.  Hard to tell what he was doing exactly.  I hope everyone’s okay regardless.

Unbelievably violent multi-vortex tornado on John Humphress stream.  Extreme motion on the camera, some of the best video I've ever seen from a live chaser.

image.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, David Reimer said:

Tornado just handed off to a new circulation. New significant tornado in progress about a mile east of the old one. 

I don’t think it has. It’s the same circulation. It’s just extremely close to the radar.

1 minute ago, David Reimer said:

Tornado just handed off to a new circulation. New significant tornado in progress about a mile east of the old one. 

Hard to tell - looks like it might be the same circulation.

The high risk was expanded in a special update. Not sure if that was posted or not 

• Thanks 1

I'm not entirely sure how much longer this thing could last given the sizable amount of junk to its south that is about to interact with it. 

Typically extremely intense supercells are incredibly efficient at ingesting junk, so we'll see...

3 minutes ago, JasonOH said:

I don’t think it has. It’s the same circulation. It’s just extremely close to the radar.

Go load a loop up from MXX. You can see the circulations hand off just west of I-65. 

That radar is far enough away for it to not be too useful. All you are seeing is the meso. Based on BMX, the tornado likely never handed off.