Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

6 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

You guys and your shit coins. :D

I’ll admit I know squat about crypto. Give me caterpillar, or some biotech.

Back in the 90’s, any biotech you looked at would make money. Some of that stuff split 2 and 3 times over a couple of years time. By 2001-2002, if they didn’t have anything to actually sell except a wing and a prayer, they crashed hard. 
I’ve done ok with some Alnylum I bought early on. I know the CEO and figured they would do ok.  I missed out on Moderna. Dumb ass me. Bancel is a little strange so I wasn’t sure of what they had. If this pandemic handy come along, I’m sure Moderna would still be languishing. 
Stay away from any company that makes any kind of claims with alzhiemers. The biology hasn’t been well worked out at all and I can’t count w many companies have gone broke or whole divisions in big pharma have been whacked because of failures for Alzheimer drugs. 

For me, this is basically like buying a scratch-off lotto ticket.

It's kind of fun to watch how nothing but memes and vague tweets can both create and ruin millionaires literally overnight. Most of these coin projects are based on literally nothing at all. 

I bought SafeMoon because I could get tens of millions of it for basically nothing and it has generated some minor buzz. Only takes a couple tweets and a meme or three to jump it up enough for me to get a little scratch.

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

It's kind of fun to watch how nothing but memes and vague tweets can both create and ruin millionaires literally overnight. Most of these coin projects are based on literally nothing at all. 

I bought SafeMoon because I could get tens of millions of it for basically nothing and it has generated some minor buzz. Only takes a couple tweets and a meme or three to jump it up enough for me to get a little scratch.

I wonder how that dude who put his life savings in Dogecoin and saw it go over a mill, maybe he gets the 10 mill he's waiting for or maybe he loses his life savings. I would have cashed out at a mill myself.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A good feeling I'm sure.  Can truly end it in the workplace too.  Employers seem to be gun shy due to the rapid change in policy in a lot of cases up this way.  Can't ask for vaccination status but people volunteer it and wants to keep everyone masked until all are fully vaccinated as the process is still going.  I'll get my second shot on Monday, month after the first one.

My company is keeping masks for now unfortunately. But I think the rapid “demasking” caught companies by suprise. We were told to expect to have 100% back to work and 100% occupancy by fall. Reading the tea leaves, I think they’ll drop the masks in another month or so. 

30 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ether looks sorta F’d to me in the short term it’s chart was bubbly given its large market cap and move 300% just year To date  . It got halved like nothing and is still up big YTD and I don’t see it shooting back toward 3500 for a while given its movement off bottom  . It got ahead of itself for a legit crypto . It’s not some random shitcoin w a tiny market cap that can 10x in a week 

I went in with a grand today at the bottom and after the big rise late morning, it was dropping and I didn't feel good about it.  Dumped it and made only $150 over a couple hours, but I'll be watching as there's bound to be a run before the next hard fall.  Have to watch it like a hawk for a few hours though when it's on the move.

Crypto to me is very short-acting.  It's not the stock market where things generally move slowly, you put money in and don't need to watch all the time.  Crypto is more entertainment to me, it can make some minor money here and there if you play the ups/downs.  But the real money is in the hail mary bids on stuff like Safe Moon and early Dogecoin.

• Like 3

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

My company is keeping masks for now unfortunately. But I think the rapid “demasking” caught companies by suprise. We were told to expect to have 100% back to work and 100% occupancy by fall. Reading the tea leaves, I think they’ll drop the masks in another month or so. 

We are too.  But I think it'll drop after the company has a chance to digest everything.  The national/multinational companies are trying to figure out if they follow local or federal guidance, too.  Need to give the legal teams time to look at it too.

As usual, I'm largely concerned about hitting short-term staffing levels and the service industry will see some competition between jobs requiring masks and those that don't this summer.  If you are going to get paid the same amount, most vaccinated folks (I'd assume) will opt for the job that doesn't require a mask IMO.  Some folks may still want jobs with masks required regardless of vaccination status, but that viewpoint is no where near as prevalent as its sometimes said to be.

I'm sure a lot of businesses nationwide will be dealing with that, mask policy and hiring potential in the short term.

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We are too.  But I think it'll drop after the company has a chance to digest everything.  The national/multinational companies are trying to figure out if they follow local or federal guidance, too.  Need to give the legal teams time to look at it too.

As usual, I'm largely concerned about hitting short-term staffing levels and the service industry will see some competition between jobs requiring masks and those that don't this summer.  If you are going to get paid the same amount, most vaccinated folks (I'd assume) will opt for the job that doesn't require a mask IMO.  Some folks may still want jobs with masks required regardless of vaccination status, but that viewpoint is no where near as prevalent as its sometimes said to be.

I'm sure a lot of businesses nationwide will be dealing with that, mask policy and hiring potential in the short term.

A lot of the big chains are now coming out and saying they will no longer require masks, and will follow state and local ordinances.

A buddy of mine the other day texted when the news broke “I’ll go anywhere that doesn’t require a mask”. It’s simply going to become bad business to have mandatory mask policies. And above all else, these places care about $$

56 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Just owning millions of something is amusing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

A lot of the big chains are now coming out and saying they will no longer require masks, and will follow state and local ordinances.

A buddy of mine the other day texted when the news broke “I’ll go anywhere that doesn’t require a mask”. It’s simply going to become bad business to have mandatory mask policies. And above all else, these places care about $$

Yeah for sure.  Guests are only required to follow CDC/VT Guidelines.  It's a personal choice now if you travel/visit.  The issue is employees and the local economy coming into what is going to be an insane warm season (summer/fall) tourism season.  What's attractive to a person getting summer employment? Most of the wedding spots/hotel venues have 2-3 big weddings scheduled per week.  Mid-week Thur, Fri, Sun night weddings will be a big thing this summer, as the Saturday dates are all filled. All the postponed destination weddings are going full-tilt this summer at all of the higher-end properties/resorts.  How they handle employee mask wearing will be a big factor in employment level and associated service level.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Crazy.  6 no-hitters in MLB through 5/19.

i wonder if it's more and more of that pine tar?

When i did a little research on spin rate and how rare it is to see a 150-200 spin rate increase in a season and the number of pitchers that have done it and got big contracts ...the reason for the increase in spin rate and (how it will make a good pitcher excellent )  is the doctoring of the ball increases spin rate...makes ball easier to command...better movement and also acceleration .and how no opposing manager will bring it up b.c their guys are doing it/ It's always been around but it seems to have gotten more popular with the bigger monetary incentives and no real negative consequences. 

WE all know lumber prices have soared in the last year but they were also a bubble.  Lumber futures contracts have fallen approx 28% in the last 10 days. They oscillated between limit down and limit up today which is pretty amazing. Seems to be multiple areas of asset price speculation (that are bursting at the seams)

I was watching Mana (decentraland currency) for virtual real estate plots ....which i consider to be a joke.  I think with stimmy money running lower (and reflected in retail sales) this hopefully goes to zero.  Its just silliness. 

One other thing with many companies last few years and how i think many of them may be in trouble ....tons of businesses have favored short term catering to share holders and stock holders  via using their CASH for Stock buy back purchases to artificially boost EPS and sweeten Board of directors stock options at the expense of solidifying the company's medium term vision for growth and keeping up with reinvesting into the company..i.e    capex spending and investing capital into Research and development. As Technological  innovation is going to drive a lot of new growth via A.I,  and Robotics i can see a lot of companies in next several years fall by the wayside as they are left behind for basically just having a short term strategy of goosing share prices and director salaries tied to that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Phin will like this

Covid-19 booster shot will likely be needed within a year of vaccination, Fauci says

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/05/19/health/covid-vaccine-booster-anthony-fauci/index.html

Wonder what the percentage of folks that get them will be and how much it may depend on case load trends and if they trend up after a year or so  

59 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

i wonder if it's more and more of that pine tar?

When i did a little research on spin rate and how rare it is to see a 150-200 spin rate increase in a season and the number of pitchers that have done it and got big contracts ...the reason for the increase in spin rate and (how it will make a good pitcher excellent )  is the doctoring of the ball increases spin rate...makes ball easier to command...better movement and also acceleration .and how no opposing manager will bring it up b.c their guys are doing it/ It's always been around but it seems to have gotten more popular with the bigger monetary incentives and no real negative consequences. 

Nah. It’s the new balls they implemented this season. Terrible. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

They apparently were not liking the home run rates. The change was supposed to be subtle but the stats so far say otherwise. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/mlb-to-alter-baseballs-for-2021.html

Makes sense.  They eff'd with the baseballs.  Seems sorta like shooting themselves in the foot as i can usually use a mid season nite game to fall asleep to anyway. 

• Like 1

So much overhead supply on many of these crypto's now  (especially BTC/ ETH) where the average investors spent 10's of thousands and if they bought BTC in last 3 months they maybe 20% underwater now and if ETHER in last month they are also 20-40% underwater... that it makes sense that any signficant bounce will be met with a lot of selling as many deep in the hole for tens of thousands or more... are looking to get out and recoup lost capital on any nice bounce.  Wouldn't be so much that issue with the lesser valued coins would be my guess as average investment is much less and more play money...thou perhaps there are many new whales in last few weeks who will unload on any big bounces and overwhelm the reduced level of new money (buyers) entering now  and /or any of the original whales who are selling as they don't want to wait around to see if a coin backed by nothing but trending popularity and rising prices is about to pull a Wylie Coyote. 

Stock Market still trying to fend off a break of the 14 month rising trend line . Since March 2020 we have had 4 x where we fell and hit this support and bounced not counting yesterday . Major support is around 4057 on Sp 500.

A close below that and then a failed retest of recapturing that would confirm . We sit around 4090 in futures .

8 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Have some work ahead of me. 96D61560-F4D2-4FA6-A6DD-FDDCC4D9A843.thumb.jpeg.59f15090dbd218028c489b372b983a8e.jpeg

That looks like green ash that is infected with Emerald Ash Borer. It has heavy woodpecker damage to the bark and thats usually a tell tale sign. I bet when you take some bark off you will see the tunnels everywhere from the larvae the killed the tree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

WE all know lumber prices have soared in the last year but they were also a bubble.  Lumber futures contracts have fallen approx 28% in the last 10 days. They oscillated between limit down and limit up today which is pretty amazing. Seems to be multiple areas of asset price speculation (that are bursting at the seams)

I was watching Mana (decentraland currency) for virtual real estate plots ....which i consider to be a joke.  I think with stimmy money running lower (and reflected in retail sales) this hopefully goes to zero.  Its just silliness. 

One other thing with many companies last few years and how i think many of them may be in trouble ....tons of businesses have favored short term catering to share holders and stock holders  via using their CASH for Stock buy back purchases to artificially boost EPS and sweeten Board of directors stock options at the expense of solidifying the company's medium term vision for growth and keeping up with reinvesting into the company..i.e    capex spending and investing capital into Research and development. As Technological  innovation is going to drive a lot of new growth via A.I,  and Robotics i can see a lot of companies in next several years fall by the wayside as they are left behind for basically just having a short term strategy of goosing share prices and director salaries tied to that. 

They will still come hat in hand begging for a bail out when things get tough again.