Total Members
    Most Online
    yiuyiuya
    Newest Member
    yiuyiuya
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

16 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

It's interesting, for the most part during the day it's just a general din that I hear.  But listening closely enough, in some of the trees right where I am, I can clearly hear the distinct "Phaaaa-roooh" of either individual Septendecims or "smaller" choruses of them.  When I'm outside I can also clearly hear the distinct "ssssssssszzzzzz" (sizzle/hissing) of the Cassinis right underneath several trees too.  Kinda cool!

the tree outside my apartment building in DC had cassinis and it sounded like a giant lawn sprinkler, lol.

• Like 2

i feel like this is a reverse snowstorm--usually I report snow first and then it moves east. but with cicadas i am reporting last, 10-12 days behind everyone else. I got to enjoy everyone else's anticipation and now I'm experiencing it myself.

today I can hear the chorus inside the house with the windows closed. I opened the door to the deck and called oceanwx and he said he could now hear them over the phone.

• Like 7

Yesterday I had my son and his friend (second graders) at a neighborhood park. They noticed a young maple tree (15 feet ish) was covered with cicadas. Naturally, they grabbed the trunk and shook it as hard as possible. It was quite a spectacle - no guarantee of accuracy but at least 50 cicadas blasted off in all directions, shouting their displeasure. Hilarious!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i feel like this is a reverse snowstorm--usually I report snow first and then it moves east. but with cicadas i am reporting last, 10-12 days behind everyone else. I got to enjoy everyone else's anticipation and now I'm experiencing it myself.

today I can hear the chorus inside the house with the windows closed. I opened the door to the deck and called oceanwx and he said he could now hear them over the phone.

I'm hating the thought of when the "back edge" will start coming.  These things are just so fun and wish they would stick around longer.  but then again the wait is what makes them fun.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I'm noticing 'cicada rain' today falling from the trees on the side of my house.  yuck

When walking the dog at the heavily-wooded and cicada-infested Coast Guard property next door several evenings ago (a perfectly clear evening, I might add), my wife made a face and said, "Is it sprinkling??" I didn't have the heart to tell her...especially just after she mistakenly stepped on a dead cicada, and its bodily contents squirted up her calf.  :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i also now finally have a bunch of cicadas flying around. the cats are going to go nuts.

hopefully your cats aren't like my dogs, who do nothing but eat the damn things. all the time. i will be glad when they are gone. ive had two puke in the house, and the piles of disgusting poop outside are hard to miss. sigh. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

hopefully your cats aren't like my dogs, who do nothing but eat the damn things. all the time. i will be glad when they are gone. ive had two puke in the house, and the piles of disgusting poop outside are hard to miss. sigh. 

they eat stink bugs so i’m hoping they only play with cicadas...

the cats are confined to a raised deck so that should cut down on targets of opportunity.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i also now finally have a bunch of cicadas flying around. the cats are going to go nuts.

I'm amazed at the amount of fliers during this emergence. I don't remember this at all when Brood X last came to visit. Like, ALL of the trees are abuzz with activity and noise this time around.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

I'm amazed at the amount of fliers during this emergence. I don't remember this at all when Brood X last came to visit. Like, ALL of the trees are abuzz with activity and noise this time around.

This is like 1987 IMO. It is a much more significant and active emergence

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mappy said:

Drove down to Hunt Valley to have lunch with some coworkers and I killed quite a few with my windshield. 

I legit feel bad when one meets my car. I yell “you dumb sonofabitch!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, H2O said:

I'm hating the thought of when the "back edge" will start coming.  These things are just so fun and wish they would stick around longer.  but then again the wait is what makes them fun.

i think familiarity would breed contempt in this case, lol. but there are plenty of other insects ready to take over the singing gig soon enough.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

this is what I remember from upper NW in DC in 2004.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, H2O said:

This is like 1987 IMO. It is a much more significant and active emergence

yeah, i don't think my development was anything like this in 2004. I guessing we are benefiting from a huge emergence that needs to spread farther than normal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, H2O said:

I legit feel bad when one meets my car. I yell “you dumb sonofabitch!”

They aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer, that's for certain!  I've seen them fly into telephone poles (and bouncing off), land in the middle of the street, etc.  I guess there's a reason they emerge by the billions!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wxtrix said:

i think familiarity would breed contempt in this case, lol. but there are plenty of other insects ready to take over the singing gig soon enough.

The regular annual cicadas will be around come mid-summer!

This week has definitely been the most active and loud (since the cold and rain last weekend), and I've seen very many flying around.  There's cherry tree nearby that is covered with Cassinis, all over the branches, and singing up a storm!  Pretty cool!!

• Like 2

On 6/3/2021 at 6:09 PM, psuhoffman said:

Nope. Ton where I work in Baltimore. Not a one up here. 

I'm starting to hear them in the distance here.  I bet they make their way up there in a week or two. 

• Like 1

They are the loudest this AM.  Easily heard inside with windows closed and AC on.

I was in the bathroom and one landed on the skylight and started its fanfare.  Reminded me of a high pitched Klaxon horn (aka dive alarm) which is the LAST thing I want to hear when in the can! :|

Finding more and more holes in my rounds.  Good aeration for the soil that's for sure!

• Like 1

From our house it's mostly a distant drone of pharaohs from woods a few hundred yards away, and a few individuals closer here and there.  But driving yesterday just a couple miles away the noise was suddenly astonishing at a red light, even with the windows up.  I put them down and could not believe the noise.  It was cassinis and they were all over a stand of big cherry trees.  The hissing buzz-saw sound was unreal.  I can't imagine the people that live right near that spot.  Then at the next light very little noise.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.