Total Members
    Most Online
    Classbravo
    Newest Member
    Classbravo
OBS and nowcast Thursday morning 2/18 - 11PM Friday 2/19/21

wdrag

7 hours ago, wdrag said:

Wantage NJ 3.5" act 1130A. Snowing lightly.  

Today is an excellent example of why snow boards, decks are used for snow measuring.  The black pavement, grill covers are melting snow while snowboards, decks still accumulate snow at the current 1mi snow rate... T 27.5.  Thats why light snow events are so nice for us, but easily manageable (wet) for the roads, during the higher sun angle part of the day. 

This is also one of those rare events (at least around here) where the "best" surface to measure on is the previous snow, since it was hard packed and a ruler wouldn't go through it, plus, since it's frozen, it's at 32F, max, by definition (it can be colder, but not warmer), so snow will accumulate on it immediately (as long as the snowfall rate exceeds the melting rate from the ambient conditions).  The snow works especially well on a day like today, where the wind is light, so it doesn't really matter much where one measures.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Well we had 1/4" about2 hours ago and then one last band just now.  Holy crap, I stayed outside for almost all of this last band, as it was just stunningly gorgeous - not to get maudlin about it, but at my age you never know when it'll be your last storm, lol.  Not the heaviest snow I've ever seen, visibility/intensity-wise, but some of the most beautiful, feathery, cotton-candiest dendrites I've ever seen, with most 1/2-3/4" across and some even up to 1" across and they nestled so pefectly together on top of the snow and whitened up every surface including all the trees (and paved surfaces, so be careful, although it only took 5 minutes to broom it away).  

We got another 1/2" over about 30 minutes, bringing my total today to 1.75" and my storm total to 5.75".  A perfect ending to a great storm - and yes, this is the last of it for CNJ and should be over down the shore in the next 30-45 minutes and it might be even more snow down there, i.e., I could see some picking up 3/4" from this band.  Seasonal total now up to 41.75".  

I've always found it interesting that Citizen Kane's final words were about his sled, Rosebud, that he played with in the snow as a boy....the greatest film of all time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I've always found it interesting that Citizen Kane's final words were about his sled, Rosebud, that he played with in the snow as a boy....the greatest film of all time.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure (I dare you).

• Like 1

Still flurrying but I think we're done here.  Nice day and the snow intensity varied but never stopped.

2.6 inches from the bonus round separated from yesterday's 4.4" by a 1/8" layer of ice.  7.0" storm total, 13" on the ground.  I'll get SWE by tomorrow.  Feels like an over-producer.

32.5" for February.  41.4" for the season.

30F with flurries at 8:55pm.

Smithtown, NY

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Still flurrying but I think we're done here.  Nice day and the snow intensity varied but never stopped.

2.6 inches from the bonus round separated from yesterday's 4.4" by a 1/8" layer of ice.  7.0" storm total, 13" on the ground.  I'll get SWE by tomorrow.  Feels like an over-producer.

32.5" for February.  41.4" for the season.

30F with flurries at 8:55pm.

Smithtown, NY

Some of the Best snow today for nyc metro fell along the north shore of LI eastern Nassau out into Suffolk 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kaner587 said:

Some of the Best snow today for nyc metro fell along the north shore of LI eastern Nassau out into Suffolk 

Just went for a walk-gorgeous out. A few flurries coming down but we’re done-the moon is peeking out and clouds are thinning. We had over an inch of fluff with this last round just this evening, my car which was completely cleared this afternoon had that much on it now. I’ll go with the 6-7” others are reporting in this area. And there has to be close to a foot on the ground again total between the cement, the low ratio snow/sleet yesterday and this fluff that ended it. And that brings me up to 40” on the dot for the winter which is probably conservative. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Just went for a walk-gorgeous out. A few flurries coming down but we’re done-the moon is peeking out and clouds are thinning. We had over an inch of fluff with this last round just this evening, my car which was completely cleared this afternoon had that much on it now. I’ll go with the 6-7” others are reporting in this area. And there has to be close to a foot on the ground again total between the cement, the low ratio snow/sleet yesterday and this fluff that ended it. And that brings me up to 40” on the dot for the winter which is probably conservative. 

High water content too of the pack. In shaded areas pre storm I had 6-7in with a hard layer over an inch thick of ice. With the 7 in yesterday and today with 0.25 of ice in between -I agree about 10-12in especially in shaded areas and with especially high water content for that depth 

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

NYC has now received 25.6” snow this month, which ranks as the 8th snowiest February on record.

But I'll bet this is the snowiest February on record, which is to say that more days had snow in February 2021 than any other February in NYC history. I've never seen it snow almost every single day in a single month before. Doesn't matter if we get an inch or 6 inches - it has snowed so many times this month.

7 minutes ago, TriPol said:

But I'll bet this is the snowiest February on record, which is to say that more days had snow in February 2021 than any other February in NYC history. I've never seen it snow almost every single day in a single month before. Doesn't matter if we get an inch or 6 inches - it has snowed so many times this month.

2021 has had 12 days with a trace or more of snow. The February record is 16 days, which was set in 1923.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1