• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

Heh. St. John's Newfoundland. Going alright. You? Were kinda on the wrong end of this one. Only going to get like 2" followed by freezing rain then rain. 
Alright, I guess as good as it could be, lol with the current state of affairs yeah, we've been hard pressed this yr to recieve any appreciable snows, as you probably already know, although that might change with the incoming system. If this wasn't going as s fast as it is, we'd all be crying, lol!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Excitement is setting in seeing that radar blowing up right now. The whole thing hits between 10 and 6am so that sure makes it a bastard to chase.  I may take a Jeb drive around midnight.  Should be cranking. 

What's the strategy for snowblowing? Wait for it all to fall? When was the last snowfall that you used it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGM Blizzard said:

What's the strategy for snowblowing? Wait for it all to fall? When was the last snowfall that you had to use it?

I find it more enjoyable to throw a lot of snow. The machine works better under a moderate load.  I also just like to do the whole yard and driveway meticulously at the end of the storm one time. I’d only clear it earlier If the plow stuff at the end of the driveway is deep enough to prevent my wife’s car from getting in or out.  

Some people don’t like car tracks so they won’t drive over it without clearing it first.  When I’m chasing these storms I’m in and out too much so I just live with some serious car tracks.  You can still have a clean looking setup with car tracks if you keep your edges nice. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I find it more enjoyable to throw a lot of snow. The machine works better under a moderate load.  I also just like to do the whole yard and driveway meticulously at the end of the storm one time. I’d only clear it earlier If the plow stuff at the end of the driveway is deep enough to prevent my wife’s car from getting in or out.  

Some people don’t like car tracks so they won’t drive over it without clearing it first.  When I’m chasing these storms I’m in and out too much so I just live with some serious car tracks.  You can still have a clean looking setup with car tracks if you keep your edges nice. 

Yep wait till it’s done unless we’re getting so much you need to stay ahead of it. 

11 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Ha... I am definitely one of those that has a clear pavement policy so I have to clear it before any cars come or go to keep my OCD in check. Definitely not looking forward to clearing the 2 inches of glacier crust that we are about to get here. Storms like these make me wish I had a plow blade instead of a snowblower attachment for my John Deere.

• Like 1

DISCUSSION...A potent shortwave trough is currently moving
   northeastward out of eastern Kentucky and southern Ohio per water
   vapor imagery. As this feature continues into the Northeast this
   evening, a surface cyclone will deepen in Pennsylvania and New
   England. 850-700 hPa frontogenetical lift along the Canadian border
   aided by approaching mid-level ascent will promote 1+ inch per hour
   snowfall rates this evening. An area of heavier precipitation in
   northeastern Ohio will likely enter western New York by 9-10 PM EST.
   A stronger warm nose (nearly +4 C) observed on the 00Z PBZ sounding
   has kept precipitation more mixed to the south, but the observed 00Z
   BUF sounding shows a profile fully supportive of snow. Warm
   advection in the low to mid-levels should remain weak enough that
   precipitation remains as snow. Peak snowfall rates appear likely in
   the 11 PM to 3 AM EST period when mid-level ascent in the dendritic
   growth layer will be maximized.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Yeah, dry-slot is already starting to form in S.OH as well, but we got at least 5-8hrs of intense rates incoming and its gonna com e ion like a wall of snow too, cant wait!

So used to these storms from living in NJ and PHL. Comes in like a wall and then just light mixed. Always in faster and always done sooner than modeled. Get out in it y’all!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Yeah, dry-slot is already starting to form in S.OH as well, but we got at least 5-8hrs of intense rates incoming and its gonna com e ion like a wall of snow too, cant wait!

Hopefully we can top it off with a good lake effect band tomorrow night. BGM mentioned headlines might be needed for that. That's going to be a close one...I think either hugging the Onon./Oswego county line or sitting just north of it over you and CNY. Obviously I am hoping for the more southern option.

1 minute ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I'm afraid those yellow returns are indicative of IP already infiltrating the southern part of the CWA but I hope I'm wrong, lol!

Yeah all the meso models show us flipping within first hour so I'll be pleasantly surprised if it stays all snow longer than that. 

We received just under an inch earlier today so only need another coating to reach the 1" mark and atleast verify my 1-4" range. But don't think we will reach my 3" spot forecast for BGM from last night.