Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th Disco

Bostonseminole

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Kind of looking more, 6z might even be a thump of a few inches near pike. Maybe 3-6 north to near NH. Sweet spot srn and cntrl VT to Lakes region and adjacent Maine.

Yeah that looked colder than 00z. I’m wondering if this starts getting squeezed east now in the final 72h. When you look at the upper air pattern, it’s kind of a tight fit to slingshot that shortwave around the PV lobe. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that looked colder than 00z. I’m wondering if this starts getting squeezed east now in the final 72h. When you look at the upper air pattern, it’s kind of a tight fit to slingshot that shortwave around the PV lobe. 

Hopefully. EPS still looked similar to 00z, but maybe the amp up trend is over.  It does have that “cold press” look in the lower levels. 

47 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Not the best/safest way to do it though:

image.thumb.png.8177833b8d43e2871ba998230dbe537b.png

Nope, assume it's wrong at this point...more sleet? Not sure how my 175 foot elevation in this valley is going to fair. Still a solid 10-12 inch pack, kids are still enjoying it, but ice will make it not so safe for them. Probably prefer the sleet option...

10 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Nope, assume it's wrong at this point...more sleet? Not sure how my 175 foot elevation in this valley is going to fair. Still a solid 10-12 inch pack, kids are still enjoying it, but ice will make it not so safe for them. Probably prefer the sleet option...

Lol really?  We loved ice on top of the snow as kids...the more the better, made for awesome fast sledding. We would sled and toboggan for hrs on it.  I guess they don’t make kids like they used too..?  

• Like 4

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Lol really?  We loved ice on top of the snow as kids...the more the better, made for awesome fast sledding. We would sled and toboggan for hrs on it.  I guess they don’t make kids like they used too..?  

The big boy sleds don't care much either way.........lol

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Yea. I’m Thinking (hoping) more sleet then zr if this can tickle east.

The Euro might be giving a faux impression of amplitude on the 00z run .. if one is using the thermal fields, ptype as impression guide.

The 500 mb was in fact slightly weaker in the vorticity layout by the time 84 hour is then relayed onward as whatever that 'smearing' that's left is, that is nearing 75 W, wends its way along a slightly flatter trajectory.

Seemingly trivial that does connote slightly weaker deep layer mechanics  - but that weak mechanics alters the trajectory of the stream lines exposing where advects that gunk through New England by 90 hours... more ENE as opposed to NE in the previous cycle.  That, believe it or not, has a counter-intuitive way of being a warm solution.

By virtue that trajectory being a little bit closer to the actual lower b-c axis, - that still more proficiently materialize the 850 to 700 mb restoring jets blowing up the polar side of the elevated frontal slope.. causing a net warming in that layer.  I've seen guidance et al do this in the past..  Until the 500 mb comes sufficiently E to really ( finally ) commit to coastal ..effectively cutting off those elevate warm intrusion layers...  and then the scenario at hand flips into a cyclone model proper..blah  blah.  This ain't there yet ... but..

If this comes a little bit more SE at 500 mb on the next cycle, this may flash back to a snowier solution NW zones ... and we'll see where it goes by late tomorrow's runs.  I'm not sold on IP/ZR to RUT VT in this ... I've been seeing tendencies in the models, ..across all of them, to tone down amplitude relaying from outer Mid range to inner time frames...and given the SPV layout up N and confluence and all that jazz.. .it seems the correction vector is not really pointed at a BTV 500 mb wind max transit... Maybe? sure - but the air moves like water and tends to find the pathways of lesser resistance.

The other aspect that stood out to me in the overnight runs is that the EPS signal Scott pointed out a couple of days ago has been occurring in increasing frequency across the bevy over various guidance, which is to close the gap between the "new" Monday isentropic initiation and wave. We probably could end up with 2-4" of snow NW ranging to substantive pirouetting SUV glare icer SE and probably we've been ignoring.  The result in the GFS is almost no lull now at all...  This could be a 30 our ..36 hour ordeal by virtue of the fact that the axis of overrunning and subsequent book-end "main wave" are running up parallel and is thus is a long corridor between 12z Monday entrance ( SW- --> NE) and exit some time on Wed...

OT:

The late weekend system may not go west... I like the Euro's depiction because in the models that are trying to take the surface "quasi" primary into eastern OH and vestigially into western NY, whilst only vague commitment to secondary ... all that?   They are doing it while the 500 mb is dramatically in a decay sequencing of it's mechanics and the entire trough axis is zipping shut into a shear axis by the time it actually all collocates with the Eastern Seaboard early Saturday ...that means the support is attenuating rather discerned and it seems these guidance may correct toward flatter solutions as that time nears and cleaner deep layer integration emerges in future cycles... that's my early assessment on that end of the week ...

There may yet be another event around the 23rd. 

I mentioned a week ago I thought February is a cold wash ...still believe that... I do suspect however we may ( more at seasonally ...) break harder than recent year's March's toward a spring ...given to festering La Nina + HC planetary footprint lying in wait... albeit merely presently suppressed by a dominating polar signal ... Once that appears to neutralize ... leaves mid latitudes nakedly vulnerable to the former  - ... supposition for now. But fairly certain GFS won't be the guidance species that is very well adaptive to the vision given that it thinks there is only once jet gradient between here and Alpha Centaur and that's the N stream ...even in July .. 

13 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

As a kid, I loved it...As a parent it is different, my kids will enjoy it either way, just takes some years off my life worrying. My brother almost died when he was 6 years old, slipping on ice, going down a hill and hitting a tree head first. So ice always concerns me....

• Like 1