Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

Just now, psuhoffman said:

yea despite the late start and weaker SW its still trying to climb the coast.  But just looking at the whole way the jet and the NS is oriented gives me the vibe this would really amp up and go nuts up the coast if that SS SW ends up slightly more amplified.  There is a LOT of room for this to amplify up the coast looking at the flow.  The thing that could save us from too north of a trend is that it starts out pretty far SE before it begins to gain latitude.  I know it trended SE but this run didn't give me a "its getting suppressed" vibe.  If anything it furthered my opinion this is likely to amp up more as we get closer.  

There's not really any confluence or block in the UL to make me believe it would suppress off the coast with any sort of amplification. It's easy to see where some of the more extreme ensemble members are coming from when you look at the ingredients upstairs and if everything came together. 

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Eh, considering where we started from just 24 hours, I'm quite pleased with the NAM

That would be a beautiful Sunday morning for the District. Grab a cup of coffee or favorite morning beverage, a bagel sandwich, and walk around the mall during the height. Gonna be the picturesque kind of snow too that clings to everything

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

yea despite the late start and weaker SW its still trying to climb the coast.  But just looking at the whole way the jet and the NS is oriented gives me the vibe this would really amp up and go nuts up the coast if that SS SW ends up slightly more amplified.  There is a LOT of room for this to amplify up the coast looking at the flow.  The thing that could save us from too north of a trend is that it starts out pretty far SE before it begins to gain latitude.  I know it trended SE but this run didn't give me a "its getting suppressed" vibe.  If anything it furthered my opinion this is likely to amp up more as we get closer.  

Agreed. The trend to the SE was really a small blip but there was positive takeaways that leave this for room to be a bigger boom compared to even the earlier runs. I'm curious to see how the 3km run finishes out. 

• Like 3

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

Agreed. The trend to the SE was really a small blip but there was positive takeaways that leave this for room to be a bigger boom compared to even the earlier runs. I'm curious to see how the 3km run finishes out. 

Looks like its 25-50 miles NW of its sibling run as it end at 60 IMO

• Like 3

I'll really be looking for some of the things the NAM did on that run upstairs on the rest of the 00z suite. The reality is though verbatim the run was a bit S for the 95 folks in the corridor, it was awfully close to being an even bigger run than what 18z showed. It is one of those setups where you can blow up a quick phase that drops double digit amounts and big time rates in places. Basically ninja'd by @MillvilleWx

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s exactly what I was saying this afternoon. If that sw amps just a little there’s nothing to stop it from coming north.

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

That’s exactly what I was saying this afternoon. If that sw amps just a little there’s nothing to stop it from coming north.

Then we can really cash in over here :) being the favored spots aside, I like where we are atm. Curious to see if the ICON continues the rock solid consistency. 

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

Hey @stormtracker Here's the sounding for DC at the end of the Nam Nest run. This is pretty damn gaudy if you ask me. Paste bomb with massive aggregates likely in that sounding.

nam4km_2021020500_060_38.89--77.03.png

Uh yeah that would explain the 2.5"/hr rates modeled at h60. There's going to be some great fgen/dynamics in this wave. Amp it up a bit more and folks will really be surprised by what's shown. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

That would be a beautiful Sunday morning for the District. Grab a cup of coffee or favorite morning beverage, a bagel sandwich, and walk around the mall during the height. Gonna be the picturesque kind of snow too that clings to everything

Man, you just described heaven.   I'm just a snow nut...yeah,  KU would be great, but I'm not a big game hunter.  Just give me the above scenario and I'll take it every time.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Hey @stormtracker Here's the sounding for DC at the end of the Nam Nest run. This is pretty damn gaudy if you ask me. Paste bomb with massive aggregates likely in that sounding.

nam4km_2021020500_060_38.89--77.03.png

THAT's what I want to see.  I love snow bombs falling. It just looks more badass.  The kind where you hear those mofos hitting the ground and trees.

• Like 9

I do have one question. Obviously this is dependent upon the strength of the ss sw. How likely is that to come in Stros than modeled. What are the tendencies in a situation like this? What would lead to that strengthening? How likely is more interaction with the ns over the center of the country?

10 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Look at the SLP track on the 3k...even starting out as far southeast it comes NNE up the coast...from off SC to just east of the VA capes.  It's good that this doesn't start to amplify until its over the southeast because we would be in trouble otherwise...but I really think this is coming up not escaping east. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Amped said:

These systems don't phase, but if the NS gets ahead , it will crush the SS before it gets up the coast.  So  you should probably hope the SS doesn't slow down here, and the NS doesn't  speed up. Either will lead to a weaker further south system.

100% and was looking at that myself. Trying to convince myself that the ns isn’t just a tad out in front this run but I’m having a hard time doing that.

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic