Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

2 minutes ago, benjammin said:

Your "sincere" concern is quite the salve and balm. 

More like wishcasting for MBY.... this is a cut throat hobby my friend. No two ways about it. Either way the cookie crumbles, a bunch of people will be disappointed come Monday morning. Just a snow weenie hoping it’s not me is all. Nothing but love always. 

• Like 2

I'm not in Richmond anyway, but you are right it is simply MBY for all of us and it more often than not it is not a zero sum game. When it comes to snow the people in North Carolina look down on those in South Carolina, Virginia looks down on North Carolina, MD on Virginia, Pennsylania on MD, and on and on. Then there is the whole east or west of the fall line plus elevation (my spot is higher than yours). It's all good. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, benjammin said:

I'm not in Richmond anyway, but you are right it is simply MBY for all of us and it more often than not it is not a zero sum game. When it comes to snow the people in North Carolina look down on those in South Carolina, Virginia looks down on North Carolina, MD on Virginia, Pennsylania on MD, and on and on. Then there is the whole east or west of the fall line plus elevation (my spot is higher than yours). It's all good. 

I do think this storm has a better shot at producing a regionwide snowfall (coast & inland) than the last storm, just not with the high totals. A widespread 2-4, lollipop 5-6” type storm could be in the cards if it all lined up. Better QPF near and east of 95, better ratios and dendrite growth up north... you know, the usual.  The timing with precip falling mainly overnight / early AM and the arrival of cold air is beginning to look like it could work out just how we need it to. 

going to be an interesting next 24 hours of model watching. I’m off work at 730, so I look forward to reading everyone’s thoughts about the 18z suite. Speaking of which.... NAM should be out soon, no?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Think a few days ago I would have disagreed. However, modes have definitely backed off the major cold and confluence in New England ahead of the system idea in a pretty significant way, allowing room for this to keep trending north - along with a better PAC  look. Do think there is a ceiling for trending north however, as the trough won’t be that sharp.  Don’t see this exiting the coast much north of OBX

I really don’t have any idea. I just don’t see the shredder that we’ve had so often. I’m now wondering what happens if we see that energy interact more when it’s back over the central us. The ICON had that very scenario in its run from 36 hours ago and it put a low in WV.

• Like 1

Had a rookie/lurker question to ask looking at the 500mb map. It looks as if the true cold is kind of walled off at/above the great lakes which would make the "source" of cold the no man's land between the lakes and the system as it moves through the area? If I'm reading this right, that would mean there's not much to stop it from drawing in more warm air if the system continues to amplify as it moves up the coast and temps would at best be marginal? Thank you all for the knowledge you continue to provide.

image.thumb.png.1bcac51c959c08f58172bc35017876a8.png

3 minutes ago, hobbes9 said:

Had a rookie/lurker question to ask looking at the 500mb map. It looks as if the true cold is kind of walled off at/above the great lakes which would make the "source" of cold the no man's land between the lakes and the system as it moves through the area? If I'm reading this right, that would mean there's not much to stop it from drawing in more warm air if the system continues to amplify as it moves up the coast and temps would at best be marginal? Thank you all for the knowledge you continue to provide.

image.thumb.png.1bcac51c959c08f58172bc35017876a8.png

Cold air will definitely not be as deep as we thought it would be for Sunday at this point a few days ago. However, a storm that tracks well to our SE will draw in cold NW winds. It will be close, but the PARA, NAM, euro and GEFS all kind of show you how we can overcome the marginal setup at the surface if things fall into place. 

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic