• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Synoptic Snowstorm 2/1-2/4

This has actually been a really nice last few wintry days. It has been so nice to have snow falling for the better part of the last 48 to 72 hours combined with the cold temperatures it is really felt like solid winter probably the longest it has all season. Like TS I have a little over 4 inches the last 2 days which is about 4 times as much as I expected here. That combined with the few inches of absolute paste we had from the snow/sleet mixture here last week and we have a nice little base on the ground. If it wasn’t for Friday/Saturdays little warm up and rain we could really build a nice pack going forward next week. 

• Like 2

This really is the dream scenario for Rochester. It’s a shame I really didn’t see it coming, or was too jaded to accept the setup...lol :thumbsdown:

Anyway, it went from zero to 100 around 5pm today. Just great stuff. I’m hoping ol Greek Peak can add some inches overnight. Hi res models show it hanging on forever down that way. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

This really is the dream scenario for Rochester. It’s a shame I really didn’t see it coming, or was too jaded to accept the setup...lol :thumbsdown:

Anyway, it went from zero to 100 around 5pm today. Just great stuff. I’m hoping ol Greek Peak can add some inches overnight. Hi res models show it hanging on forever down that way. 

You must be close to 6 inches. Airport reported 3.5 at 7

2 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

I just mean rates at the moment. Not the storm!

Gotcha.  What I'll remember most about this storm is the utter perversity of radar returns that have been fakenews (here) due to, apparently, downsloping effect.  Another lesson learned to file away. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Gotcha.  What I'll remember most about this storm is the utter perversity of radar returns that have been fakenews (here) due to, apparently, downsloping effect.  Another lesson learned to file away. 

Remember when I told you that I could see the downsloping happen off the Tug? Like I said, I've seen it happen with the 1,000 ft. ridges in PA many times. The top of the top is at least 1500 ft. higher than down here. I wish I had been wrong.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

This has actually been a really nice last few wintry days. It has been so nice to have snow falling for the better part of the last 48 to 72 hours combined with the cold temperatures it is really felt like solid winter probably the longest it has all season. Like TS I have a little over 4 inches the last 2 days which is about 4 times as much as I expected here. That combined with the few inches of absolute paste we had from the snow/sleet mixture here last week and we have a nice little base on the ground. If it wasn’t for Friday/Saturdays little warm up and rain we could really build a nice pack going forward next week. 

That’s a great post Dev. I think we lose some of the base but it looks “warm” for about 18 hours and at best it might tickle 40. As long as we don’t get too much rain I think a crusty couple inches will he left just in time to be replenished...hopefully in a big way!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I see BUF upgraded Oswego and N. Cayuga to Warnings for 4 to 7 more inches...and BGM updated their warming to "4 to 8 additional inches overnight" for a total of 8 to 15 inches.

Interesting that the PnC for our area has 3 or 4" overnight and Syracuse itself is 6-8".  The Phoenix PnC has 8-12"...I'll take the under as viz at airport has been >> 1 mile the past few hours, which is SN- despite what radar indicates.  And that's what I've been seeing here.  Just bizarro.

8 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

Insane here. Just awesome. Will lap double digits from 7PM forward. 

And it needs to be said - the HRRRR is an absolute pile of shit. 

I love Skaneatles. Dougs. Johnny Angels. The Bakery. In 2007, nearly a third of the places on the east side of the lake were up for sale. Coulda picked one up for 200k. Probably worth a million now? 

2 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I love Skaneatles. Dougs. Johnny Angels. The Bakery. In 2007, nearly a third of the places on the east side of the lake were up for sale. Coulda picked one up for 200k. Probably worth a million now? 

Don’t forget The Sherwood Inn and the Bluewater. Several multi million dollar homes on the lake including, I believe, a $6 million house purchased in the last few years by David Muir anchor of World News Tonight on ABC, a local boy from Syracuse who made it big. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Interesting that the PnC for our area has 3 or 4" overnight and Syracuse itself is 6-8".  The Phoenix PnC has 8-12"...I'll take the under as viz at airport has been >> 1 mile the past few hours, which is SN- despite what radar indicates.  And that's what I've been seeing here.  Just bizarro.

Yeah, certainly not the insane rates that 96blizz is getting...but it's been moderate snow blowing all over the place here the past several hours. It still has that look that it's TRYING to snow harder, but the dry air is still above screwing with it. It's hard to explain...I can just tell with the way the flakes are falling...they have the shredded look.