Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Watching closely .. February 1-3rd for moderate to major coastal event

Typhoon Tip

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup ... ( moderate potency + duration ) /2   solution there

want to stress the distinction between a 9 to 12 hour snow bomb with CCB wind event off a bomb juggernaut

-vs-

a 24 hour moderate snow with occasional heavy bands and occasional lighter bands, in moderate climate storm winds...

Those two scenarios get one to the same impact destination.  

That is, of course...how all this looks now. 

Also stressing the point ...we are still really seeing the models responding to period of time more so than a specific event - altho the latter is formulating.   You can punt the 48 hours of constant hosing snow and wind as though New England and upper M/A will sit that long inside choke flow off the nozzle of a Valian snow making machine ...  

uh, you know better than that - c'mon

:lol:

I still see the protracted moderate impact as the higher likelihood.

5 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

Would be interesting to compare the miller Bs which come from the southern stream and redevelop and those which come from the northern stream.

I think the southern ones fit more into the A category and not up as much to my liking anyways as they usually already have shot there load before they get here if at all.

http://archive.boston.com/news/weather/articles/2008/02/08/national_weather_services_history_of_the_blizzard_of_1978/#:~:text=THIS STORM IS KNOWN AS,OFF THE SOUTH CAROLINA COAST.

THE LOW PRESSURE AREA THAT WOULD BECOME THE BLIZZARD OF 78 FORMED FROM A DIVING ALBERTA CLIPPER SYSTEM OUT OF THE GREAT LAKES ASSOCIATED WITH A STRONG UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE. ANOTHER WEAK LOW DEVELOPED OFF THE SOUTH CAROLINA COAST. THESE SYSTEMS JOINED FORCES OFF THE VIRGINIA CAPES ON THE NIGHT OF MONDAY FEBRUARY 5 TO INTENSIFY RAPIDLY...AS AN AREA OF HEAVY SNOW MARCHED ITS WAY UP THE EAST COAST EARLY MONDAY MORNING.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I disagree.

It was mainly N stream, but there was a meager contribution from the south.

I mean, it's almost non-existent on the H5 charts...maybe technically there was a leftover entity that helped focus the cyclogenesis, but I don't think it was very significant in the scheme of the '78 storm.

Feb '13 on the other hand had a major southern stream player that the northern stream phased with.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mean, it's almost non-existent on the H5 charts...maybe technically there was a leftover entity that helped focus the cyclogenesis, but I don't think it was very significant in the scheme of the '78 storm.

Feb '13 on the other hand had a major southern stream player that the northern stream phased with.

Well, okay...I'm not saying it was a major contributor...all I am saying is that technically speaking, the notion that the blizzard of 1978 was 100% born of the N stream is a misperception.

I am not sure what the specific criteria is for distinguishing between those two types of miller Bs.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Jesus...a third of those are orgasmic for my area. Counting PD II as such, even though I got meso-porked.

I'd take both the first and last analogs in a heartbeat. I'm pretty young as an upcoming college freshman, and 2013 was my first taste of a legit, bonafide 2-footer. I vividly remember mumbly Menino giving a press conference relaying Gov. Patrick's travel ban. Epic storm.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, okay...I'm not saying it was a major contributor...all I am saying is that technically speaking, the notion that the blizzard of 1978 was 100% born of the N stream is a misperception.

I am not sure what the specific criteria is for distinguishing between those two types of miller Bs.

I would prob count '78 as northern stream....I mean, almost any miller B probably has some semblance of a remnant turd in the southern stream that meandered it's way from Las Vegas. They do help, but are generally minor players.

OTOH, storms like Feb 2013 or January 2011 had more distinct southern stream entities engulfed that were major players.

4 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

I'd take both the first and last analogs in a heartbeat. I'm pretty young as an upcoming college freshman. 2013 was my first taste of a legit, bonafide 2-footer. I vividly remember mumbly Menino giving a press conference relaying Gov. Patrick's travel ban. Epic storm.

I missed the Megalopolis storm of '83...that makes 6.

1,3 6, 8, 11 and 15. I don't see this pulling a Jan 2016....maybe Dec 2009.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I would prob count '78 as northern stream....I mean, almost any miller B probably has some semblance of a remnant turd in the southern stream that meandered it's way from Las Vegas. They do help, but are generally minor players.

OTOH, storms like Feb 2013 or January 2011 had more distinct southern stream entities engulfed that were major players.

Yea, fair enough.

Like I said, I wasn't sure whether we were referencing storms that were literally ALL n Stream, or just mainly. No debate it was 90%+ N stream....