Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February the climo snow month

Ginx snewx

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Beware low level warmth ahead of it. Almost looks like on of those deals for Hunchie on op, but it is early.

I've said all  along that this week looked like more smoke than fire for MBY....still looks that way. Good shot to end up below 6" in the aggregate between yesterday and next Tuesday.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Figured you would be all over this. Right up your alley.  The new Euro shows what potentially could result. I am interested 

pecmwf_24h_snow_ne_162.png

What is right up my alley? Objectively conveying model data?

I'd rather a late-bloom potential....actually favors my area for once....a nice reprieve from LBSW...though it probably ends up LBNE :lol:

• Haha 1

I frustrated this snark in the other thread, but, I'm done with this model performance cold season -

This consummate dampening of amplitude bringing anything, no matter what model either, into near ranges - that fact cannot be more punishing ( and stupid to ignore ) at this point.

22nd is not happening until that can be resolved... otherwise, whatever does, is a pallid reality

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

People are already canceling winter after tomorrow which is stupid 

What does that mean exactly  ha

...seriously curious there, what constitutes canceling of winter, in a discrete, comprehensively intelligible definition.

I think most would agree that it is cooler now that it will be in July.  That is acceptance that it is, in fact, winter.

Giving up when there is 4-6 weeks left is a mistake, when we are buried under feet of snow mid March those who are canceling winter will realize it was a big mistake to do that when the polar vortex was close by and the pacific isn’t dominating the pattern like previous years (due to La Niña cooling it off). The signs for an epic March are there, look at what’s happening in Texas right now. The fact that arctic air is able to get that far South says something about the pattern we are in, and it says that zonal nonsense some of the models are spitting out in the long range is likely BS. The models have been saying that feb would suck in mid jan, then it moved back to mid feb would suck, now it has been moved back to it will suck in March. The atmospheric drivers do not support a zonal pattern this year, which is why they keep pushing it back. Just like how last year the models kept having a great pattern ahead but moved it back because the atmospheric drivers supported a mild and zonal pattern. 

53 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

People are already canceling winter after tomorrow which is stupid 

"which is hopeful."

I think a lot of people are just done with the cold and snow. More so than other years. Couped up indoors all the time and can't have any gatherings. Winter can end tomorrow and I'd be happy because it means golfing, fishing, and yard work.

Seriously though, the Euro op has three uninteresting >1000 mb lows passing the region. Stat padders if anything.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

"which is hopeful."

I think a lot of people are just done with the cold and snow. More so than other years. Couped up indoors all the time and can't have any gatherings. Winter can end tomorrow and I'd be happy because it means golfing, fishing, and yard work.

Seriously though, the Euro op has three uninteresting >1000 mb lows passing the region. Stat padders if anything.

I wouldn't be if I thought there was a realistic shot at a major storm...I know a few others are in the same boat.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

March is like a slow death of winter. And with how it looks on guidance? Eh.  I’d be more excited if we had blocking or better PNA.  But weenies don’t want to hear that. 

Yeah... agreed

winter death- math for dummies and deniers:

A  The AO/PNA/NAO at CPC are warm signaled by March  ( am aware that half the AO members attempt to sag back negative, but that at the end of week two but that is utterly undependable).  

B  The antecedent hemispheric footprint La Nina comes with warm spring climo

C  The HC wants to expand southern heights at all times ...built in at planetary scope

( A + B + C ) / 3   = ? 

While all that is occurred/ing/set to transpire ...  any given model run that shows a general synoptic distinction that is cold and snowy ... must by lucid problem solving skills be construed as incongruous ..

Anomalies nested in anomalies happen from time to time.. .. Like, one may observer 6 months in a positive temperature raging hard-on, but it gets really cold for two weeks inside... That two weeks is a negative anomaly, relative to the longer term warmth - ... So, sure, we could "bowling" ball in March.. .But money down?   bet at own risk...   Problem is?  Knee jerk reactions - taken to extreme and absolutes... Some comes in here and sensibly and rationally gives reason to veraciously conclude along a warm correction vector, and we get this steady stream of 'cancel winter' waving.  

I think folks should almost expect a balmy expansion away from winter at some point next month... arriving at any time really after the next couple weeks. Whether that times for first, 2nd or 3rd week... whatever.  I mean I'm already seeing attempts in the numerical guidance.  The latitudes beneath roughly 37 deg across ever E of Denver on the 00z Euro... from D4 on, ...that is spring in the south folks.  Like this ICON ...These types of thickness plumes are bubbling out of the south at times now - it's not that this may verify unto itself...it is increasing in frequency in modeling ...a manifestation of all the above, and the fact that winter can't f'ing last for ever - get over it.

image.png.a462728726ce0f0581d1d99a475aa64a.png

• Like 1