• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know this sounds contradictory...but imo its all about the health of that upper level system in the Ohio valley.  If that is amplified enough I do expect some north adjustment towards gametime.  But I bet it goes one way or the other.  If the upper level wave is too weak and starts to shear out this will trend south...and end up not even that close.  If it is healthy enough to pump ridging in front it will amplify enough that it will trend north SLIGHTLY.  So long as its not a shearing out mess as it comes across my bet is it trends slightly north...but this isn't a setup that argues way north...if DC is being fringed we are good...if richmond is being fringed...uh oh.  But I don't see a close south miss with an amplified wave to be a high risk...this is either going to wash out and be a weak NC system or amplify and we are good.  

I'm psyched with one of those scenarios and good with the other. If we can't get it I'd rather south not get it either, lol

One thing to keep in mind is that given the compact nature of the shortwave being progged and the (very) large and dominant ridging to the north with a pretty hefty windfield, I would bet on a sharper northern cutoff with less of a taper. This system is less likely to feature big mixing zones and the more gradual taper-off you get with a big wrapped WCB-type configuration. Sharp R/S and S/nothing lines.

• Like 3

Just now, stormtracker said:

We may be a lot closer than we think to at least a MECS.   I just wish it would nudge 150 miles north

dude.  It was in Macon, GA at 0z.  It jumped up so much that its being checked for PEDs.  Lets not ask for more nudges north this many days away

• Haha 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

The CMC was close to a complete monster had it phased that tpv lobe in a little more....OMG 

I am looking at the h5 track after it is off-shore. It looks like the lobe helps to bring the h5 low of our storm northward with the interaction so we want that to happen sooner I assume for the coastal to have a more Northern track closer to the coast?

2 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

One thing to keep in mind is that given the compact nature of the shortwave being progged and the (very) large and dominant ridging to the north with a pretty hefty windfield, I would bet on a sharper northern cutoff with less of a taper. This system is less likely to feature big mixing zones and the more gradual taper-off you get with a big wrapped WCB-type configuration. Sharp R/S and S/nothing lines.

True...but those factors can often time lead to there being a very heavy banding along the northern fringe as the lift meets the resistance in the flow.  Globals often miss that and its why a lot of times you get a "shift north" at the last minute.  The storm didnt actually shift north the models simply didnt see that feature.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@PivotPoint I am sorry I was harsh with you earlier.  Something happened that has nothing to do with weather and I took my frustration out on you.  You didn't deserve that and I am sorry.  I should have explained my meteorological points without the unwarranted personal attack.   IMO the representation of the high is an effect of the amplitude and latitude of the trough not a cause.  

No worries -- and I appreciate you saying that. I consider you one of the best (if not the best) poster on here so I was a little like "???". But it's all good.

Oh, and gfs looks much better with a little better heights for our ridge out west and better high position/strength -- does wonders for our storm chances. Here's hoping that my southern track idea is crap, and well get hammered with 12+ and rates -- I love me some good rates.

• Like 1