• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    feyt
    Newest Member
    feyt

Winter 2020/2021 Short Range Discussion

9 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Six straight hours of snow and still snowing. Total accumulation?  zero  A microcosm of the winter of 2020-21 here. :ee:

Sounded like Friday here.

This is how LOT started todays AFD:"AFTER A WINTRY STRETCH OF WEATHER THE PAST FEW DAYS, THINGS LOOK TO   
QUIET DOWN A BIT MORE TO START THE WEEK."  a wintry stretch is now an inch of snow over a 72 hour period with a day below freezing. Ouch.And now back to cloudy and 30 degrees. Looks like the change was about 5 degree lower daily temps with clouds. Winter of our discontent rolls on.

1 hour ago, Baum said:

This is how LOT started todays AFD:"AFTER A WINTRY STRETCH OF WEATHER THE PAST FEW DAYS, THINGS LOOK TO   
QUIET DOWN A BIT MORE TO START THE WEEK."  a wintry stretch is now an inch of snow over a 72 hour period with a day below freezing. Ouch.And now back to cloudy and 30 degrees. Looks like the change was about 5 degree lower daily temps with clouds. Winter of our discontent rolls on.

speaking of persistence, another morning of anthropogenic snow in the midwest:

1643615245_ScreenShot2021-01-18at8_22_11AM.thumb.png.6a063e8a3b55f321b3b877fce17a70d8.png

40 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

speaking of persistence, another morning of anthropogenic snow in the midwest:

1643615245_ScreenShot2021-01-18at8_22_11AM.thumb.png.6a063e8a3b55f321b3b877fce17a70d8.png

don't forget the mine induced snow near Marquette

• Like 2

16 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

picked up 0.2 of snow overnight. zzz continues.

That's not zzz, that's winter! Another 0.4" today. 1.5" = largest event, with 11 of 15 amounts <1".  My monthly totals for NDJ look like event totals in even the lamest of seasons. Greatest depth was 1" (but lasted <12 hrs). But hey, I could be Hoosier. At least I've had a borderline shovel event.

8 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

That's not zzz, that's winter! Another 0.4" today. 1.5" = largest event, with 11 of 15 amounts <1".  My monthly totals for NDJ look like event totals in even the lamest of seasons. Greatest depth was 1" (but lasted <12 hrs). But hey, I could be Hoosier. At least I've had a borderline shovel event.

Oh wow I did not realize that 1" is your greatest depth all season? Our greatest depth was 4" on December 1st, But we also had 3" on December 2nd and 3rd, 3" on December 17th, and 3" on Dec 26-27.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

Oh wow I did not realize that 1" is your greatest depth all season? Our greatest depth was 4" on December 1st, But we also had 3" on December 2nd and 3rd, 3" on December 17th, and 3" on Dec 26-27.

Detroit magnet!

• Haha 1

Go big or go home:"OTHERWISE, THE GOING FORECAST OF A GENERAL HALF TO ONE INCH OF   
SNOW LOOKS GOOD, WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR A LOCALIZED CORRIDOR OF   
1-2 INCHES DEPENDING ON WHERE ANY ISOLATED BANDING SETS UP. SNOW   
RATIOS WILL BE HIGH WITH THIS EVENT, " 
a 20/21 winter first with regards to ratios.

Go big or go home:"OTHERWISE, THE GOING FORECAST OF A GENERAL HALF TO ONE INCH OF   
SNOW LOOKS GOOD, WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR A LOCALIZED CORRIDOR OF   
1-2 INCHES DEPENDING ON WHERE ANY ISOLATED BANDING SETS UP. SNOW   
RATIOS WILL BE HIGH WITH THIS EVENT, " 
a 20/21 winter first with regards to ratios.
The high ratios did verify on Sunday but QPF was overdone in some of the models, so the guidance showing generally a coating to up to an inch to locally 2" was right for the wrong reason.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The high ratios did verify on Sunday but QPF was overdone in some of the models, so the guidance showing generally a coating to up to an inch to locally 2" was right for the wrong reason.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

High ratios didn’t happen at ORD, that’s for sure.