• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

I'll never forget the day I decided to move...living in Lake Ridge it was pouring rain and chilly I wasn't on any board then so I was like meh gross. Turned on the news and it said Leesburg was digging out of 7" of snow. At that point it was wagons ho!!!! Go West young man

• Like 2

Just now, losetoa6 said:

If any of y'all worked for me I'd have to fire your asses . What's your boss's think of your model  practices. 

Shit...I'd be lookin at models too lolz:lol:

I've seen nothing today.Slammed .  I just want a answer to one question. Did the Euro improve even the slightest?

From 00z?  yes lol

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

If any of y'all worked for me I'd have to fire your asses . What's your boss's think of your model  practices. 

I've seen nothing today.Slammed .  I just want a answer to one question. Did the Euro improve even the slightest?

for sure. 1.5+ QPF for us, all snow

• Weenie 1

12z Suite scorecard NOW FINAL...(4.5 for 8 as of 2:15 pm)

ICON --- disaster (w/ bargaining over maybe its thermals are their usual trash)

GFS ---- primary holds on too long aiming for Ohio which, why? I grew up in Ohio and nothing should aim for there. Miller B hell, some snow front end, but meh if you are big game hunting, okay if you want 4+ inches or so.. 

GEFS --- not great - in line w/ GFS - area-wide 2" - 5" w/ snow hole concerns floating

CMC ---a hit! area-wide 6+ inches with upwards to a foot some places but also genuine concern for our friends on the lowlands SE of 95 for mix or rain at the transfer. 

GEPS -- juiced up compared with 0Z - supports the OP

UKIE ---- a decent hit but all front end - the junk in the trunk is reserved for NE - maybe 4-6 inches plus area wide

EURO ---- mid and post coital cigs for most everyone. Massive storm unfolding. Euro holds. 1 to 2 feet or more across much of the forum. Need the low to not tuck as tight to the bay as depicted here to bring the CAPE crew into the full fun and chill out osfan24.

EPS --- ensembles are flush hit. East of the more tucked in OP - mean snow from just east of 95 back to Winchester from 8 - 10 inches. Great news for all.

Editor's Note - It doesn't make the scorecard - but the NAVGEM was a massive hit with plenty of backside

PSU in main thread says, in reality, ICON and CMC much like the Euro in evolution - just with crappier thermals - and that you would lean more to Euro for thermals this far out. If so, it is EURO/CMC/ICON vs. GFS/ UKIE heading into  the 0z runs tonight. 

VERDICT ---- a really great set of runs overall, with GFS having its finger up its nose as it tries to look off of the Euro and CMC tests and catch up. Have to like where we sit with the 0Z runs looming tonight and hoping for a hold from the big boys and the GFS to finish getting a clue. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

As @Deck Pic likes to say, this was a terrible Euro run for people who hate 12-24" snowstorms

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I don’t like this place nearly as much as I used to.

The problem we have is that there's a pied piper for the horrible analysis whom people can't help but respond to or mention, as if what that person has to say has any merit in an analysis thread. That sets a precedent for others to follow.

Looking forward to reading the analysis the dedicated thread for this storm that will no doubt shrivel on the vine, since it's gonna get really ugly once things go downhill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

The problem we have is that there's a pied piper for the horrible analysis whom people can't help but respond to or mention, as if what that person has to say has any merit in an analysis thread. That sets a precedent for others to follow.

Looking forward to reading the analysis the dedicated thread for this storm that will no doubt shrivel on the vine, since it's gonna get really ugly once things go downhill.

I'm hoping what Randy said goes into effect.  Would be nice to see posts like we saw earlier complaining about how i got 7" instead of 20" and how the GFS sucks get deleted quickly.  I have faith in our mods though

47 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

switching topics... anyone been gambling in the stock market recently? caved and got $150 worth of BlackBerry a few days ago and I'm not unhappy with how its going. Not frisky enough to move my serious index fund money in Gamestop/Blackberry/AMC but I've been enjoying mostly spectating.

I'm still fairly new to investing but the approach I've found I like the most is the Bogglehead method: around 40% international exposure (VXUS), 50% total US market (VTI), 10% small-cap value (VBR). It's a super simple way to invest but I enjoy simple things so to each their own

17 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'll never forget the day I decided to move...living in Lake Ridge it was pouring rain and chilly I wasn't on any board then so I was like meh gross. Turned on the news and it said Leesburg was digging out of 7" of snow. At that point it was wagons ho!!!! Go West young man

Yeah Lake Ridge is not a snow town by any stretch of the imagination. I'll be in Fairfax come fall and then I hope to move north/west after college. I'd love to be near Leesburg, you and Ji seem to have fun up there

At what point do you all start to worry about your plans? I'm supposed to get the poke to end the panic (COVID) on Sunday afternoon. That's an appointment I REALLY don't want to miss. Euro and EPS look fine until at least 18Z Sunday, but GFS starts significantly earlier. I don't want to be white-knuckling it at 1pm Sunday if it's really hammering. Hoping I can scoot in just before the snow really hits. 

12 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

we made fun of it because he was emotionally complaining about people being emotional. it was funny.

I wasn't complaining about people being emotional.  I quite like seeing people get emotional about this stuff.  It's supposed to be fun and heartbreaking and everything in between.  I was complaining about all the bullies and hypocrites constantly tearing people apart for caring or wanting more.  And then complaining that the boards are junked up when they themselves are junking up the boards with their bullying.  

But it doesn't surprise me that my point was lost on almost all of you.  And I'm not surprised that the post was deleted.  Like I said.... a bunch of f@cking 5 years olds.  Actually, nevermind.  I'm a teacher.  Of kindergarteners.  And they definitely behave better. 

I saw the accusations earlier of "first time poster" and some projections of what my future interactions would be like.  There won't be any.  I made the account just to make a point.  And I'll be deleting said account and continue to lurk from the shadows as I've always done.  Just wanted you all to be aware that you make this a miserable place for most and a bully stomping ground for a few who never grew up.

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

It does! PM me and I can show ya the hours you want.

Just now, yoda said:

Yes... what hours do you want?

Just now, nj2va said:

Yeah, under Surface --> Precipitation -> 6-hour QPF Members (1-25 then 26-50)

Thanks guys...I have it now!

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

It does! PM me and I can show ya the hours you want.

Just now, nj2va said:

Yeah, under Surface --> Precipitation -> 6-hour QPF Members (1-25 then 26-50)

Just now, yoda said:

Yes... what hours do you want?

Fast service in teh banter thread this afternoon :lmao:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, imnotarobot said:

I wasn't complaining about people being emotional.  I quite like seeing people get emotional about this stuff.  It's supposed to be fun and heartbreaking and everything in between.  I was complaining about all the bullies and hypocrites constantly tearing people apart for caring or wanting more.  And then complaining that the boards are junked up when they themselves are junking up the boards with their bullying.  

But it doesn't surprise me that my point was lost on almost all of you.  And I'm not surprised that the post was deleted.  Like I said.... a bunch of f@cking 5 years olds.  Actually, nevermind.  I'm a teacher.  Of kindergarteners.  And they definitely behave better. 

I saw the accusations earlier of "first time poster" and some projections of what my future interactions would be like.  There won't be any.  I made the account just to make a point.  And I'll be deleting said account and continue to lurk from the shadows as I've always done.  Just wanted you all to be aware that you make this a miserable place for most and a bully stomping ground for a few who never grew up.

I didn't see what you posted in that other thread, but I can definitely think of one person who fits this bill perfectly. Why people continue to interact is what confuses me.

18 minutes ago, yoda said:

I'm hoping what Randy said goes into effect.  Would be nice to see posts like we saw earlier complaining about how i got 7" instead of 20" and how the GFS sucks get deleted quickly.  I have faith in our mods though

No doubt it will. I also hope it results in five-posting, since we're at the point at which some people need the hammer dropped by a leaden hand .

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, imnotarobot said:

FWIW i hid your post because that wasn't the place for it. and all the replies to it, again wasn't the thread for it. 

hope you keep reading even if you dont post. if you can weed through some of the bullshit, this place is full of very knowledgeable posters. 

take care!

@imnotarobotI know that your post won't make you popular here, but FWIW I don't think you just delete your account and quit. It's great that you get emotional and like seeing other people being so invested in our snowstorms. It's really what makes this hobby so fun; the investment. Also, it's nice to see another full-time teacher on the boards!

As a LONG time lurker and relatively recently active poster, I enjoy AmWx way more now that I participate, even if only a little. It adds to the aforementioned investment. If you're really into weather like I'm sure you are, consider lurking a little less. 

As for the point you were making and the things that upset you, everybody on this forum is occasionally pissed off by something. Some more than others :D. Best advice I have seen from the (much) more experienced members is to ignore/block what you don't want to see so that you can enjoy the reason you're here. 

• Like 2

Just now, yoda said:

I know there are a few Penguins fans in here... but wow... very surprising news.  Wonder what the Caps fans think lol

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/01/jim-rutherford-resigns-as-pittsburgh-penguins-gm.html

Woah. The commenters are probably right honestly, we've been trading away our future for years now after the 2 cups runs and I've personally gotten more annoyed with Rutherford every year. He's signed a number of mediocre older players to big contracts. Our core isn't getting younger. I know we still might have a window with them but it's closing fast and we have to be able to field a team here in the next 5 years

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Deer Whisperer said:

I'm still fairly new to investing but the approach I've found I like the most is the Bogglehead method: around 40% international exposure (VXUS), 50% total US market (VTI), 10% small-cap value (VBR). It's a super simple way to invest but I enjoy simple things so to each their own

Yeah Lake Ridge is not a snow town by any stretch of the imagination. I'll be in Fairfax come fall and then I hope to move north/west after college. I'd love to be near Leesburg, you and Ji seem to have fun up there

A fun fact that some don't know is that not too long ago Ji, Avndav and I all lived in the same development. Ji still reported the wrong snow totals.

• Haha 6

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic