Malcolm M
    Newest Member
    Malcolm M

Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

54 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

If so, that is only the 4th time it has happened

Boston 12.5"    BDL and PVD still ???

ORH 12.2

BOS 12.9 as of 1PM.  May go over 13 with the light snow of the afternoon.

Final shoveling done and  measurement taken:  14.1 is my final and im quite pleased.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm still dumbfounded lol. That band.

I’ve been looking around on social media of photos in that area. It’s just insane. Looks like those photos I see of those high alpine ski towns in the alps of Europe that are just buried. Okemo seems like they got 40+...to bad Vail had to buy them looks like they are doing a terrible job of opening up terrain. 

EA4F5E2E-FCFF-4E39-9BB5-0010F0BC9A2B.jpeg

57451515-4875-4067-B7F7-F5A483966ACE.jpeg

A47BCF52-B62F-42B9-976D-7643A49E9B6F.jpeg

4216E2AD-513A-49B0-8126-7371FE1F0937.jpeg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I'm down there all the time. If a big ship is in, or I feel like plane spotting. It's also one of the best places to have a quiet lunch in your car! I go to that sub shop scolas sometimes too. 

Scola’s is amazing! Let me know next time you’re down here and we’ll grab a bite to eat there.  Office is on the port terminal side sadly but awesome views when an MSC ship comes in.

• Like 1

Still cleaning up here, but the Ariens is a beast. I raised the blower about an inch up with my Armorskids and just plowed through. The snow was about 10” above the top of it, but I did one pass slow and let it cave in and then cleaned it up a 2nd time through at a higher speed. The chicken coop and run was back breaking though. Next up is cleaning off the vehicles.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

I’ve been looking around on social media of photos in that area. It’s just insane. Looks like those photos I see of those high alpine ski towns in the alps of Europe that are just buried. Okemo seems like they got 40+...to bad Vail had to buy them looks like they are doing a terrible job of opening up terrain. 

57451515-4875-4067-B7F7-F5A483966ACE.jpeg

To be fair, I chatted with some colleagues in Operations down there and they could only get 1 lift running today due to the intensity of the snowfall.  Chairs were getting stuck elsewhere around bullwheels and it sounded like a complete cluster.  I mean it snowed 40+ inches in like 10 hours.  I don’t think we would’ve been any better at Stowe, that’s just a crippling snowfall, ski area or not.  Especially when most of your employees can’t get there because it’s snowing 8” an hour at 6-8am.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Patfan1987 said:

Unreal. I’m in tyngsboro and measured seven.

Wow, no shi#! I'm on the east side about a mile from Tewksbury. I can't believe how skunked you got! That was an actual measurement of 4 spots, so it probably been in the 14" range if I measured every 6 hours. 

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

To be fair, I chatted with some colleagues in Operations down there and they could only get 1 lift running today due to the intensity of the snowfall.  Chairs were getting stuck elsewhere around bullwheels and it sounded like a complete cluster.  I mean it snowed 40+ inches in like 10 hours.  I don’t think we would’ve been any better at Stowe, that’s just a crippling snowfall, ski area or not.  Especially when most of your employees can’t get there because it’s snowing 8” an hour at 6-8am.

Ya I guess I can’t blame operations. I’m just fed up with vail with there lack of communication and commitment. Hell they tooted the horn for weeks they didn’t want to open wildcat without more terrain to spread people out with covid, only for them to open with one trail. Like ya it was about ‘covid’ and not the ‘money’...sure thing Vail. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Henry's Weather said:

For once, I'm glad to not be in ORH

Hey we managed to squeeze a foot out of it. Looks a lot like Christmas out there. Very happy with it. While 40" is an awesome event to measure it would be a pure nightmare in a city. 2015 was bad enough in terms of snow removal, to get it in an 18 hour period would be devastating. Keep sending those crazy pics from the area that was originally supposed to get skunked by this storm! Amazing.

• Like 1

Just now, dendrite said:

Still cleaning up here, but the Ariens is a beast. I raised the blower about an inch up with my Armorskids and just plowed through. The snow was about 10” above the top of it, but I did one pass slow and let it cave in and then cleaned it up a 2nd time through at a higher speed. The chicken coop and run was back breaking though. Next up is cleaning off the vehicles.

I’m exhausted and still have one car left to do tomorrow morning. My Ariens was at its limit.  You had almost twice as much snow as me, I cannot even imagine clearing that.

15 minutes ago, radarman said:

Insanity.  Does Okemo allow big mountain snowmobiles?  I mean I don't know what else you could do with all that over there.

Groom it down for the weekenders.  Place is mostly too flat for 4' powder skiing anyway.

• Like 1

Clearing is done followed by a very necessary shower.  I was soaked from sweat from the snow removal.

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I didn't catch your final total. What did you end up with?

You about halfway to your seasonal avg yet?

21 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Ya I guess I can’t blame operations. I’m just fed up with vail with there lack of communication and commitment. Hell they tooted the horn for weeks they didn’t want to open wildcat without more terrain to spread people out with covid, only for them to open with one trail. Like ya it was about ‘covid’ and not the ‘money’...sure thing Vail. 

Yeah I get it.  I just like to stand up for the Ops teams when I see it.  The operations guys at all of the mountains are essentially exactly the same before and after company changes.  We all just have passion for snow and running ski areas.  The other stuff you mention is more company level for sure.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I get it.  I just like to stand up for the Ops teams when I see it.  The operations guys at all of the mountains are essentially exactly the same before and after company changes.  We all just have passion for snow and running ski areas.  The other stuff you mention is more company level for sure.

For sure I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. I feel for the employees who have to go through unsure ownership changes. I have good friends on ops teams at Ragged and Killington and all those guys at all the mountains work there ass off....I’d know I did it for a few years until I had to find something that paid better :( 

There’s just not a whole lot you can do with 40”, especially when that’s really never happened to them before...it’s not like they are prepared like Bachelor or Mammoth etc

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Only time I've ever seen anything like that was Tahoe...was in a storm there where it dumped like 70-75 inches in 2.5 days, and the peak of it was probably 10" per hour type stuff.

I guess December 23, 1997 was pretty close in ORH with 6-7" per hour.

You’ve Seen.....

10” ..... Per Hour..... Rates......  :blink:  

19 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

For sure I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. I feel for the employees who have to go through unsure ownership changes. I have good friends on ops teams at Ragged and Killington and all those guys at all the mountains work there ass off....I’d know I did it for a few years until I had to find something that paid better :( 

There’s just not a whole lot you can do with 40”, especially when that’s really never happened to them before...it’s not like they are prepared like Bachelor or Mammoth etc

Ha I was just thinking it looks like a Sierra storm.  You don’t see chairlifts not run due to too much snow in the East that often.

AD62EBE4-6D3B-4BB7-A22E-FA0535AA1223.thumb.jpeg.49d2531e7bf7574d70f00ff06bea5854.jpeg

• Like 3