Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec 16-17 obs/nowcast thread

ORH_wxman

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

To be fair, I chatted with some colleagues in Operations down there and they could only get 1 lift running today due to the intensity of the snowfall.  Chairs were getting stuck elsewhere around bullwheels and it sounded like a complete cluster.  I mean it snowed 40+ inches in like 10 hours.  I don’t think we would’ve been any better at Stowe, that’s just a crippling snowfall, ski area or not.  Especially when most of your employees can’t get there because it’s snowing 8” an hour at 6-8am.

Ya I guess I can’t blame operations. I’m just fed up with vail with there lack of communication and commitment. Hell they tooted the horn for weeks they didn’t want to open wildcat without more terrain to spread people out with covid, only for them to open with one trail. Like ya it was about ‘covid’ and not the ‘money’...sure thing Vail. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Henry's Weather said:

For once, I'm glad to not be in ORH

Hey we managed to squeeze a foot out of it. Looks a lot like Christmas out there. Very happy with it. While 40" is an awesome event to measure it would be a pure nightmare in a city. 2015 was bad enough in terms of snow removal, to get it in an 18 hour period would be devastating. Keep sending those crazy pics from the area that was originally supposed to get skunked by this storm! Amazing.

• Like 1

Just now, dendrite said:

Still cleaning up here, but the Ariens is a beast. I raised the blower about an inch up with my Armorskids and just plowed through. The snow was about 10” above the top of it, but I did one pass slow and let it cave in and then cleaned it up a 2nd time through at a higher speed. The chicken coop and run was back breaking though. Next up is cleaning off the vehicles.

I’m exhausted and still have one car left to do tomorrow morning. My Ariens was at its limit.  You had almost twice as much snow as me, I cannot even imagine clearing that.

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Still cleaning up here, but the Ariens is a beast. I raised the blower about an inch up with my Armorskids and just plowed through. The snow was about 10” above the top of it, but I did one pass slow and let it cave in and then cleaned it up a 2nd time through at a higher speed. The chicken coop and run was back breaking though. Next up is cleaning off the vehicles.

I didn't catch your final total. What did you end up with?

You about halfway to your seasonal avg yet?

21 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Ya I guess I can’t blame operations. I’m just fed up with vail with there lack of communication and commitment. Hell they tooted the horn for weeks they didn’t want to open wildcat without more terrain to spread people out with covid, only for them to open with one trail. Like ya it was about ‘covid’ and not the ‘money’...sure thing Vail. 

Yeah I get it.  I just like to stand up for the Ops teams when I see it.  The operations guys at all of the mountains are essentially exactly the same before and after company changes.  We all just have passion for snow and running ski areas.  The other stuff you mention is more company level for sure.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I get it.  I just like to stand up for the Ops teams when I see it.  The operations guys at all of the mountains are essentially exactly the same before and after company changes.  We all just have passion for snow and running ski areas.  The other stuff you mention is more company level for sure.

For sure I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. I feel for the employees who have to go through unsure ownership changes. I have good friends on ops teams at Ragged and Killington and all those guys at all the mountains work there ass off....I’d know I did it for a few years until I had to find something that paid better :( 

There’s just not a whole lot you can do with 40”, especially when that’s really never happened to them before...it’s not like they are prepared like Bachelor or Mammoth etc

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Only time I've ever seen anything like that was Tahoe...was in a storm there where it dumped like 70-75 inches in 2.5 days, and the peak of it was probably 10" per hour type stuff.

I guess December 23, 1997 was pretty close in ORH with 6-7" per hour.

You’ve Seen.....

10” ..... Per Hour..... Rates......  :blink:  

19 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

For sure I didn’t mean for it to come off that way. I feel for the employees who have to go through unsure ownership changes. I have good friends on ops teams at Ragged and Killington and all those guys at all the mountains work there ass off....I’d know I did it for a few years until I had to find something that paid better :( 

There’s just not a whole lot you can do with 40”, especially when that’s really never happened to them before...it’s not like they are prepared like Bachelor or Mammoth etc

Ha I was just thinking it looks like a Sierra storm.  You don’t see chairlifts not run due to too much snow in the East that often.

AD62EBE4-6D3B-4BB7-A22E-FA0535AA1223.thumb.jpeg.49d2531e7bf7574d70f00ff06bea5854.jpeg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s been years since we’ve had Currier & Ives Xmas scenes like we have. Something so magical and special about this feeling with the lights, the holidays, everting buried in snow. Especially after the year we’ve all been thru. December snow far and away is the best snow 

"If this thing forms an eye I'll bust"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

According to that the VT record would be broken by that Ludlow spotter who came in at 44"?

My thought exactly!!  

did we just break the All-Time Snowfall Rate at Okemo with 10” per hour had she measured those 60 minutes in new ground, AND Break the All-Time Vermont Storm Record!?  

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

I’m looking around at totals and this was a massive snowstorm even if you totally eliminated that obscene fronto band. Like BOS to ORH to HFD/BDL down to NYC and back across a chunk of PA got double digits. 

But all those 13” and 16” totals all of the sudden look paltry when there’s 33” and 38” and 44” on the same map. :lol:

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’m looking around at totals and this was a massive snowstorm even if you totally eliminated that obscene fronto band. Like BOS to ORH to HFD/BDL down to NYC and back across a chunk of PA got double digits. 

But all those 13” and 16” totals all of the sudden look paltry when there’s 33” and 38” and 44” on the same map. :lol:

This may be the most bizarre storm I've ever worked.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I’ve become addicted to our Ariens snowblower. It just destroys huge snowbanks and drifts...or in your case, 30-something inches of snow on the level.  :lol:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arnold214 said:

This may be the most bizarre storm I've ever worked.

Yeah this was a really weird storm. It was extremely well predicted in the medium range like a week-plus out but then it was kind of a short term disaster with model guidance inside of 24-48h. 

• Like 1