Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16-17, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

wdrag

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Pretty good actually

I got more snow overnight but now it is sleeting. I'm not sure how much I got since I am laying in bed lol.

Will check in the morning 

great thanks keep me posted. kinda figured 12-18 was way too high for the city. I had them in the 6-12 range (depending on location, S to N). Long Island got porked i saw they only got a few inches and then pouring rain to wash it all away.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

great thanks keep me posted. kinda figured 12-18 was way too high for the city. I had them in the 6-12 range (depending on location, S to N). Long Island got porked i saw they only got a few inches and then pouring rain to wash it all away.

Not a total porking.  We went over to sleet around midnight with the temp around 31 and had light accumulatons of sleet.  Didn't go above freezing until sometime beteween 3 and 4 and got a little rain during that time, but barely enough to start to "darken" the thin layer of sleet that had accumulated on previously cleared surfaces.  Temp peaked at 34.3 at 4:12 and had dropped back to 29 by 4:45.  The snow since then is crappy flakes, but the lowest visibilities of the entire event.  Basically nothing melted and we are approaching 6" with ongiong snowfall.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Not a total porking.  We went over to sleet around midnight with the temp around31 and had light accumulatons of sleet.  Didn't go above freezing until sometime beteween 3 and 4 and got a little rain during that time, but barely enough to start to "darken" the thin layer of sleet that had accumulated on previously cleared surfaces.  Temp peaked at 34.3 at 4:12 and had dropped back to 29 by 4:45.  The snow since then is crappy flakes, but the lowest visibilities of the entire event.  Basically nothing melted and we are approaching 6" with ongiong snowfall.

Same here, 28 now and heavy snowfall. We were above freezing for an hour, during which it snowed

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

There was a 7.0” figure in 1896. It was a 2-day figure (12/15-16) in the daily data, but all but 0.02” precipitation fell on 12/16. That may explain why all 7.0” was allocated to 12/16.

That is helpful Don. I appreciate your checking.  

Later, Walt

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Same here, 28 now and heavy snowfall. We were above freezing for an hour, during which it snowed

Above freezing here for roughly 5 hours, from 11:50 PM to 4:42 AM, topped out at 34 before crashing, temp is 29 and still plummeting. I didn’t look but I heard what sounded like rain and/or melting snow/sleet.

Measuring is going to be a nightmare, if not impossible.

9 hours ago, justinj said:

Did I say the Bronx? JoshSnow is in Eastport. South shore eastern LI

...33.8* rain...maybe 2-4" OTG..doubt the "wrap around" will have any staying power..radar 

looks like it will shut off with no additional accumulation..cant believe NYC is 10 degrees colder

than ELI.

6 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Above freezing here for roughly 5 hours, from 11:50 PM to 4:42 AM, topped out at 34 before crashing, temp is 29 and still plummeting.

Measuring is going to be a nightmare, if not impossible.

Shoveling is also going to be a nightmare. I'm  at 26 right now in Brooklyn with wind driven sleet and snow.

I see it's still moderate snow at times along and north of I80 PA NJ and much of nw LI.  I would think this is a high impact storm there and I suspect will be a top 20 event in the ne snow storms when all is said and done.  We'll try to detail that more around 11A. 

Wantage NJ storm total at 545A is 10.7" (1.1 since 315A). Densely wind driven packed snow. 22.8F and rising. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, T5403CG said:

28f West Suffolk... 40f East Suffolk.... guess where the front is...

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

...yeah..this killing me..heavy rain here while points west getting pounded w/ ++S..

31.8* w/heavy rain/sleet @ 6:15am