joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

10 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

That’s a blizzard buddy

6AFFCFFE-CF0A-431C-BCDA-C7CAF138E160.png

it would have a better chance if it was later in the season BUT I agree with Anthony too close to the coast and the flow will be off the too warm ocean - need to move it east to have a chance and that if cold enough air is in place prior

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

18 minutes ago, JoshSnow said:

That’s a blizzard buddy

6AFFCFFE-CF0A-431C-BCDA-C7CAF138E160.png

There is no cold air in place ahead of it and when the system turns up the coast down by Georgia there’s a low in Quebec, not a high.  You wouldn’t get snow with that system unless it was vertically stacked as it passed northeast of the area.  In that case there would be an area of snow behind it 

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

The OP GFS longer range has had less of a cold bias than the ensembles over SE Canada.  Sometimes, the lower resolution ensembles smooth out the ridge near the near the Northeast too much. Where the OP runs don’t.  

0BA859BB-4BC0-42E2-B5C6-34ED6B9D77E7.png.0be577217cc1667b1218dd0ee0a46374.png
11D5964B-530B-4912-8012-C9AE03C293A8.png.997b18e929023a8abfe3f3966c655f94.png

The last 1-2 days the Op GFS has pretty consistently wanted to torch the east and have a SER.  Very bizarre because most runs it’s ensembles have disagreed 

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It’s a shame we can’t get the first shortwave to trend weaker because the energy diving in early next week is potent. It just gets buried now in the base of the trough.

Sunday has potential in the far interior to produce snow 

Sunday probably a cold rain for the big cities. We’ll keep watching after that to see if we can finally get the pattern to cooperate. Feels good to at least be tracking chances again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nycsnow said:

Potential for another wind event this weekend gotta see how it trends next few days 

Yes,  though I'm not quite sure if this intensifying trough will close fast enough (PA) before reaching our longitude (LI).  BUT.... the backside wnw wind cold air advection(CAA) might provide at least 40-45 kt (wind advisory) gusts... possibly higher, depending on cloud cover and lapse rate...  It's usually bit easier with 50-55kt 850MB winds to transfer in CAA during the day, whereas to have yesterdays southerly WAA wind, you tend to need 70+ knots at 850MB.  

47 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Yes,  though I'm not quite sure if this intensifying trough will close fast enough (PA) before reaching our longitude (LI).  BUT.... the backside wnw wind cold air advection(CAA) might provide at least 40-45 kt (wind advisory) gusts... possibly higher, depending on cloud cover and lapse rate...  It's usually bit easier with 50-55kt 850MB winds to transfer in CAA during the day, whereas to have yesterdays southerly WAA wind, you tend to need 70+ knots at 850MB.  

While overdone whatever euro did had some sick winds central jersey east 70+ gust lol take 20 off that still solid 

Hi!  I want to think things through before probably posting a topic at 5PM,  including check of 12z/1 ENS (GEFS/EPS/NAEFS) upper air patterns and the 850 wind flow.  Modeling is favoring another storm of power outage potential (wind, perhaps 4+" wet snow extreme nw fringe of our forum with backside wind gusts 40+ MPH)  and travel issues for late Friday into Sunday.  Unsure how it evolves... NYC probably all rain til flurries at the end...I84 more complex. EC wind gusts 50+ now both front and back side for portions of our forum so power outages may not be much worse than yesterday but still a consideration.  If the storm runs slower and max easterly inflow is midday Saturday, then a tidal flooding problem would develop.   Thanks for your patience..  Walt  156P. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Question:    Which model can change rain and T's in 50's, into 10" of snow and T's in the 20's----within 1 run.   (For  the 13th./14th. which has switched again)

Why it is the "GFS---I Just Dropped in to See What Condition My Forecast Was In",  model.          Bring it on!

52 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Watch this costal take a perfect snow track and be rain for the coast. The airmass just blows 

This airmass sucks. Happened to us with today's storm. Storm tracked just west of the Apps, which in any normal year would be a 12"+ storm, but instead we got rain. Got 3" of back end snow this morning as the LP rotated. Maybe another 1-2” later tonight.

Hope there is stronger dynamic cooling with this one for you. 

• Confused 1

These differences in handling the short term storm details really magnifies the ensemble spread by day 10. That’s  why I want to see how each individual storm verifies before looking past day 8-10. The EPS, GEFS, and GEPS all have varying solutions day 8-10.

7DC40464-46B6-4B87-9E30-CCC59A24837C.thumb.png.6f4cd5fed4a8d25d12d767a842072873.png
B4804BEC-21E0-418E-A788-426590BEF103.thumb.png.f925354d95a44668361ebf0af1a6f01e.png

660F5D7B-8C14-40A5-B180-CB6EF4BA6FCE.thumb.png.5efba0d03d72c7cf10a2280c37397607.png

• Like 1