Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

bluewave

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

I guess that he only ran the model for that storm. But it’s also happening in places like Japan.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/12/18/japan-snow-stranded-motorists/

lol there's actually a place in Japan called Fujiwara and they got 7 feet of snow!

Several all-time snowfall records had been set as of Friday, with 7.1 feet (2.2 meters) falling on the city of Fujiwara in three days’ time. Fujiwara is in Gunma prefecture, a mountain region northwest of Tokyo. A number of ski resorts are located nearby.

Nearly 70 inches (178 centimeters) of Fujiwara’s snow accumulated in just 48 hours, breaking the previous record of 57 inches (145 centimeters) set in 2010.

A record 72-hour December snowfall also occurred in nearby Tsunan, where 5.7 feet (1.9 meters) came down. Elsewhere along the spine of the Japanese Alps and Echigo Mountains, a broad four to six feet (1.2 to 1.8 meters) of snow fell, establishing a number of records.

At least 1,000 cars were stranded Thursday on the Kan-Etsu Expressway, which connects Tokyo with Niigata. Some vehicles got stuck as early as Wednesday night. The traffic jam peaked in severity Thursday night, according to CNN Japan, with the chain reaction of halted vehicles spanning nearly 10 miles.

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

a good analog?  I thought Dec 1995 also fit.

1995 was colder...Dec will probably end up averaging closer to 2008 or 1959...if NYC hits 60 again this month it would be the third warm up 60 or higher...a typical la nina  roller coaster...a warmer version of 1966-67...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, uncle W said:

1995 was colder...Dec will probably end up averaging closer to 2008 or 1959...if NYC hits 60 again this month it would be the third warm up 60 or higher...a typical la nina  roller coaster...a warmer version of 1966-67...

if 1959-60 ends up being a good analog, March could have a blockbuster.

you know I loved 1966-67 (I would have if I was alive then lol) and came after an el nino in 1965 had the amazing 1966 summer and then the very long snow season of 1966-67 with the amazing February and March after the snowy Xmas eve in Dec.

Weatherwise do you think Xmas Eve 1966 was probably the best one in NYC history?

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

if 1959-60 ends up being a good analog, March could have a blockbuster.

you know I loved 1966-67 (I would have if I was alive then lol) and came after an el nino in 1965 had the amazing 1966 summer and then the very long snow season of 1966-67 with the amazing February and March after the snowy Xmas eve in Dec.

Weatherwise do you think Xmas Eve 1966 was probably the best one in NYC history?

first thing is January 1967 was very mild with temps near 70 late in the month...a super thaw before a super pattern...the 1966 snowstorm started Christmas eve morning and ended around 4am Christmas morning...I don't think there has ever been a snowstorm Christmas eve noon to Christmas day noon...1912 had an 11" snowstorm Christmas eve but ended before midnight...1961 had a 6" storm that ended at midnight Christmas eve...1883 had 8" of snow Christmas eve day...then a lull untill another 5" christmas day...I never woke up Christmas morning with snow falling...1962 came close with light snow from late morning to the early afternoon...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, uncle W said:

first thing is January 1967 was very mild with temps near 70 late in the month...a super thaw before a super pattern...the 1966 snowstorm started Christmas eve morning and ended around 4am Christmas morning...I don't think there has ever been a snowstorm Christmas eve noon to Christmas day noon...1912 had an 11" snowstorm Christmas eve but ended before midnight...1961 had a 6" storm that ended at midnight Christmas eve...1883 had 8" of snow Christmas eve day...then a lull untill another 5" christmas day...I never woke up Christmas morning with snow falling...1962 came close with light snow from late morning to the early afternoon...

1966-67 sounds somewhat similar to 1995-96 but without the historic blizzard at the beginning of the month.

The next 8 days are averaging 34degs.(28/40).        Making it 29degs., or -6.0.

Month to date is 39.2(-0.1).         Should be about 36.2(-1.8) by the 28th.

34*(58%RH) here at 6am.      Low was 32*.      40* by 4pm.       Was 41* for many hours, 10pm.

Moving into our annual solstice warm up this week. Followed by a return to cooler than normal after Christmas. The Southeast will turn out to be the coldest part of the CONUS relative to the means this month. Florida is on track for their first colder than average month since March 2018. 

A300076E-331C-4051-A1BE-A0A457621C39.thumb.png.e050b444cfce71ca3d8fcd542481e202.png

606D22DC-75C2-40E1-A955-831BCDE6853F.thumb.png.8464160cb83af3e15643d1d4a83bc4c8.png

362DFE2D-71D4-4640-8CBC-80DFA24A8AC8.thumb.png.036edfcba563030ae0b7ed3706c5b0fb.png

• Like 3

Morning thoughts...

At 8:35, an area of light snow extended from northwestern Maryland to near Montreal. There was some additional light snow in southeastern Pennsylvania and rain south of there. Some flurries were scattered across other parts of New Jersey, including one area between Lakewood and Howell.

Today will be variably cloudy. Some rain and snow showers are likely. A few places could pick up a coating of snow. Temperatures will be somewhat warmer than yesterday. Temperatures will likely top out in the middle and upper 30s across most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 37°

Newark: 38°

Philadelphia: 39°

Tomorrow will be a little milder than today.

• Like 2

The Christmas storm wave break looks like it may be off the charts. The ridge just south of Greenland goes more than +5 SD. This could be one the strongest blocks in that region for this time of year. So we will be probably be looking at winter storm threats from the end of December right into January.

709AA20F-2BC3-4D54-B995-A4A69D1D5071.thumb.jpeg.526c84b96cbffb617d671b8ec15f2fc7.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The Christmas storm wave break looks like it may be off the charts. The ridge just south of Greenland goes more than +5 SD. This could be one the strongest blocks in that region for this time of year. So we will be probably be looking at winter storm threats from the end of December right into January.

709AA20F-2BC3-4D54-B995-A4A69D1D5071.thumb.jpeg.526c84b96cbffb617d671b8ec15f2fc7.jpeg

I always get more interested in a pattern when you’re on board. I really can’t believe that this is the way this winter is heading. 

• Like 3

Just now, White Gorilla said:

Interesting that you are rooting for the opposite of what most here want.  

Not rooting per se--I love snow and blizzards and cold as much, if not more than anybody.  I come here to learn about the winter from the people who know waaaaay more than I do.

However, this year is different.  We are looking at the prospect of our darkest winter yet(in the Northeast)due to Covid.

Cold and dry conditions are ideal for the virus

Would a warm winter be the worst for all?  At least be able to go outside.  Not snowed in all winter

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Not rooting per se--I love snow and blizzards and cold as much, if not more than anybody.  I come here to learn about the winter from the people who know waaaaay more than I do.

However, this year is different.  We are looking at the prospect of our darkest winter yet(in the Northeast)due to Covid.

Would a warm winter be the worst for all?  At least be able to go outside.  Not snowed in all winter

I hear you.  

19 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

There are lots of people that feel the opposite of this. After that last snowstorm, there were so many children and parents that said they were extremely happy to be able to go outside and play in the snow. They said it gave them a much needed feeling of normalcy during this pandemic. Bill Ritter of Eyewitness news, after presenting the story, even said that the snowstorm was almost like a type of vaccine during this pandemic. So there are a lot of people that feel that snow is an extra good thing during this pandemic. Getting outside to play and work in the snow is a good thing.

• Like 2

Just now, winterwx21 said:

There are lots of people that feel the opposite of this. After that last snowstorm, there were so many children and parents that said they were extremely happy to be able to go outside and play in the snow. They said it gave them a much needed feeling of normalcy during this pandemic. Bill Ritter of Eyewitness news, after presenting the story, even said that the snowstorm was almost like a type of vaccine during this pandemic. So there are a lot of people that feel that snow is an extra good thing during this pandemic. Getting outside to play and work in the snow is a good thing.

Of course it is every so often.

Not disputing that