Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

12 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB Oz EURO wind gusts...what is blizzard criteria again?

9C784E77-1BC2-41FA-84C9-9632FED95D78.png

Be careful with the Euro spatial winds. They are typically way over done and should be adjusted by 40-60% pending the setup. I don't foresee a blizzard in the cards for the MD latitude. Best chance is likely NJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Snowchaser said:

I feel east of the parkway and south of D.C will see a MAJOR ice storm. :wacko:

5 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

What are the surface temps?  

This will be a primary snow or rain storm with a touch of sleet on the dividing line. This is not the type of event for prolonged ZR as the surface will not be arctic cold leading in and the boundary layer warmth will reflect back to the surface where the 925mb easterlies take affect.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

The GFS basically outlining a massive mauling NW of the fall line with Rt15 on west absolutely destroyed. One things for sure, this thing will not be lacking precip at this rate. Gonna come down to ptype and meso. 

Yes.  I did notice the surface low was tucked in a little closer which may account for the reduced totals warmer temps SE of of DC.  Minor details have major implications on RN/SN line. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

The GFS basically outlining a massive mauling NW of the fall line with Rt15 on west absolutely destroyed. One things for sure, this thing will not be lacking precip at this rate. Gonna come down to ptype and meso. 

Am wondering as well as to whether rates will overcome the column in parts of the area where a "mix" would be possible.  Like if the column gets close to being isothermal or even close to 0.5C at the 850/925 level... if rates were let's say an inch an hour... I could see snow being the predominant PTYPE

• Like 2

The low looks more compact and tucked in closer to the coast on the 6z GFS. With that, the E/SE winds cause the 850/925 mb temps to warm for a significant part of the storm for eastern areas. The exact track is really the thing to watch at this point. For my yard I would like to see it another 50 miles or so east as it approaches our latitude.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Nah.  You’ll get snow too I bet.  Might get more sleety than you would like.  

Could be some sleet, but the signal for warming aloft is such that it would probably be more of a snow-rain deal. If we had a true Arctic air mass to work with, the lower levels and surface would be colder, and probably see more sleet/zr.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, yoda said:

Am wondering as well as to whether rates will overcome the column in parts of the area where a "mix" would be possible.  Like if the column gets close to being isothermal or even close to 0.5C at the 850/925 level... if rates were let's say an inch an hour... I could see snow being the predominant PTYPE

Absolutely agree. We've seen this movie before and the usual suspects will be at wits end watching CC/ZDR on Day 0 while the western crew is nuking fatties and posting 1-2"/hr rates for hours on end. No arctic airmass leading in or drilling in like some storms, so this one will be borderline for fall line on east and Frederick on west will be sitting pretty solid

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Could be some sleet, but the signal for warming aloft is such that it would probably be more of a snow-rain deal. If we had a true Arctic air mass to work with, the lower levels and surface would be colder, and probably see more sleet/zr.

I could see sleet east of the fall line but not sure ZR is much of an issue.  

Just now, CAPE said:

I am forced to hug the CMC, and I understand it's not much of a model. :(

I moved away from Woodbridge for storms like this...recent years it feels like Woodbridge is creeping out this way. I expect to mix some with this thing if recent years are any indication but I'm definitely less worried than if I lived further SE. I honestly hope this thing comes to be and we all score!

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic