Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

I am generally of the belief that we ultimately need some decent PAC periods to have success this winter. I keep saying it, but I have more faith in a favorable EPO period than a blockbuster NA saving us from a persistently crappy Pacific.

I would have agreed a month ago. But the AO/NAO seem to want to play nice at times so far. This upcoming pattern is one that would probably work ok if it repeats in January or February.  It could work out now but it had a better chance the deeper into winter we get. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

In your research were you just including WSW events or both WWA and WSW snows . Just curious.  I can remember dozens of 1-3" snows myself in November/December.  They r much easier to come by as you know.  I think most here would take an inch . Definitely harder to get a 4-8" region wide hit before Christmas. Hopefully it hits on Xmas eve or Xmas day :mapsnow:

For my full study only warning level.  I did look at more snowfalls a while ago for Nina specific years...I think I started the cutoff for that at 2".  You have to draw the line somewhere...there are way too many 1-2" type events to do a deep analysis of all of them.  At least when I am not getting paid for any of this and have to do it on my own very limited time.  If I was getting paid to do it I would gladly analyze every cartopper we ever got and break down the pattern.   But honestly, its kinda a pathetic state of affairs that we are drooling over the thought of 1" of snow anyways...back when I started the study I was looking at "significant" snowfalls.  Due to our lack of any snow at all recently what we call "significant" may have changed since then lol.  

ETA: including a lot of 1-2" events also would skew the results quite a bit since you can luck into those in a pretty mediocre or bad pattern sometimes...so you end up getting not very useful results.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I would have agreed a month ago. But the AO/NAO seem to want to play nice at times so far. This upcoming pattern is one that would probably work ok if it repeats in January or February.  It could work out now but it had a better chance the deeper into winter we get. 

Ha...that's gonna be funny...I think if they were to be favorable for a change this winter...I mean we gotta look at the solar minimum effect again, don't we? (Especially for the -NAO that has been absent since, well...the effect of the LAST solar minimum)

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Why are you frustrated by digital snow? (But then you complain when there isn't any...what gives, dude?)

Lol Ji always complains no matter what.  The forecast could be for 1 to 2 feet of snow and he would complain about getting 15 inches because the mixing line got too close or Bob Smith had 18 inches 4 miles to his NW.

He even complains about the models taking away his snow... like if the Euro gave him 7 inches on the 00z run and then nothing at 12z... he would post about losing his 7 inches of snow.

But it's how Ji is... so ya gotta roll with it lol

23 minutes ago, yoda said:

Lol Ji always complains no matter what.  The forecast could be for 1 to 2 feet of snow and he would complain about getting 15 inches because the mixing line got too close or Bob Smith had 18 inches 4 miles to his NW.

He even complains about the models taking away his snow... like if the Euro gave him 7 inches on the 00z run and then nothing at 12z... he would post about losing his 7 inches of snow.

But it's how Ji is... so ya gotta roll with it lol

I just wanna know why man, lolol I'm starting to wonder if even he knows why...

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I just wanna know why man, lolol I'm starting to wonder if even he knows why...

Ji is the kind of character you'll just have to get used to. 

Even winter 2009-10 wasn't cold enough nor long lasting enough to please him, even though Snowmageddon gave him almost 3' of snow. Most likely it's an act, but the most we can do is speculate.

• Like 2

@frd There often is a lag time to enso's effects and so I am less optimistic than DT that a rapidly declining cold enso will help us much before March.  But...it's a pretty small sample size of rapidly declining cold enso episodes and so it is hard to draw much of any conclusion.  He could very easily be correct.  I hope he is.  I do think march is a wildcard either way.  Many Nina's that were totally garbage up until March featured a cold/snowy period in March.  It is not universal...1989, 2008, and 2012 were all in the analogs I compiled to this year and were wall to wall garbage winters with no help in March.  But 1956, 1976, 1999, 2017, and 2018 all featured a turn to colder with some snow late.  I guess "unsure" would be the best way to categorize my feelings on what impact a rapidly collapsing nina will have on our snow chances.  Can't hurt though.   What I would bank on more then that is simply getting some good high lat blocking before then and not having to wait for a March save.  We have scored some good snow periods in Jan and Feb in a Nina but we needed blocking to do it.  That's why the current signs up top are so encouraging imo.

@CAPE  @losetoa6

It's been quite a few years since I did my nina study, I think it was before 2017, so I wanted to refresh my memory.  I also expanded my snow study to include all 2" or greater storms at BWI in Dec-Feb during Nina's that peaked at -.1 or greater since 1950.  I excluded March because that is kind of a wildcard in a Nina and that is a long way off.  Let's hope we aren't heading into March needing to avoid a disaster.    Even expanding down to 2" I only found one storm out of 23 (and it was a kinda pathetic 3" to rain) during the 11 moderate or stronger Nina seasons that didn't feature a lot of high latitude help.  It is true that a lot of those storms did feature a period of less hostility on the pac side also...but the fact there are almost no examples of even minor snows without blocking to me indicates the break in the pac puke pattern was an effect of the blocking helping to press the TPV out of western Canada or Alaska where it will tend to set up shop and sit otherwise as a response to the central pacific ridge which is a direct effect of the nina.  But get a block somewhere in the AO or NAO domain and you can squeeze that feature out of there just enough...retrograde or squash the pac ridge temporarily, and make it work.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Going to be a lot of shifts with this...obviously. Would suck to go from cutter to whiff because we don’t have proper spacing.

ICON/EURO combo is always a winner in the model lotto :lol:

It's nice to have the Euro on our side... for at least this run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The rest featured some form of high latitude blocking...some of the more memorable storms or periods in this set...

2 storms during the holiday period in 1970.  One a minor event, the second a 4-8" storm around the cities and more NW.

1970_71.gif.0d2dcdcaa7bbc5d10b977cf9d4929d6a.gif

an 8" storm in Dec 1973

1973.gif.a656003040a0d979849dc0ebd6d4fe24.gif

a 6" storm in Feb 1974

1974.gif.7e53c2242ae732f998a5e72a60e3976b.gif

I don't think I need to bother posting the 1996 look....

3 storms over 10 days in January 2000

Jan2000.gif.dd8afdd983dbd3b4780bbc8df9cb6434.gif

The psuhoffman storm and a minor event before it

2011.gif.bf4723ef3f583366e8ba506ef92a0a81.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, yoda said:

Looks like it gets kicked east after going over OBX at 144 to 156 because of another s/w back in the Plains at h5 at 168... right?  And we would want that right?

Or am I reading this all wrong?

You are analyzing details on a 150+ hour op run way more than I will.  There is a threat.  That is all there is to say at this point.  Details will bounce around a lot.  But it's going to be a fine line.  There isn't a whole lot of wiggle room here.  

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic