Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, radarman said:

I was just trying to use it and I noticed that the tiles were painfully slow to load.  At some point the browser just gave up and I have a checkerboard like thing going on.  That's gonna need some attention.

10 minutes ago, Hoth said:

WTF is up with the NWS radar page?

New and improved........

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, geo1 said:

It’s not going to be any better for you. It reminds me of Windy which is far better for wave information but also their radar looks similarly. Are there any other options without a paid subscription?

I threw this together a second ago... Folks are welcome to use until they fix the main page.  It's not really intended for this purpose, but I'm happy to take suggestions if folks are interested.  Has BOX and ENX base reflectivity and velocity.  You can also view old data by clicking the clock icon in the top left corner.

https://emmy7.casa.umass.edu/umaxx/nexrad.html

*best viewed on Chrome

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thursday was indeed Boxing Day part II, despite people trying to opine otherwise. Miller A systems have a better shot of:

1) Hugging so that the deformation is well west.

2) Occluding to your SW, so that deformation is weakening by the time if gets here.

I'll take it over last year, but Miller A are usually flawed in this part of the region.

3) higher likelihood of a northern stream s/w acting as a kicker vs if the shortwave originates from it and just pulls in southern moisture

I can do okay in both but I'll take my chances with the mid level magic of a Miller B on the whole

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

What’s the second best model saying?

It’s in between the GFS and the horrific scenarios. It’s still bad but at least the front is through early Xmas morning so we’d avoid downpours and 60F temps during the day. It would actually get colder throughout the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s in between the GFS and the horrific scenarios. It’s still bad but at least the front is through early Xmas morning so we’d avoid downpours and 60F temps during the day. It would actually get colder throughout the day. 

Actually looking at it in more detail on pivotal instead of the 1996 meteocentre graphics, it’s still pretty awful. More like 18z FROPA. 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, radarman said:

I threw this together a second ago... Folks are welcome to use until they fix the main page.  It's not really intended for this purpose, but I'm happy to take suggestions if folks are interested.  Has BOX and ENX base reflectivity and velocity.  You can also view old data by clicking the clock icon in the top left corner.

https://emmy7.casa.umass.edu/umaxx/nexrad.html

*best viewed on Chrome

Thanks!