joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:
59 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:
2nd week of December looks good.
Would be shocked if there wasn't a plowable event or two somewhere in the northeast. 

...and then it'll be the 3rd week, then Xmas.....

Will has always said second week. Listen. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Keep following those Twitter weenies 

Lol. I’m not sure how many times we posted that the first week of December was probably going to be crap with a garbage airmass. It was at least like 8-10 times between several of us in here. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

GEFS and EPS continue to hold their respective solutions in the long range. Hopefully we end up closer to the GEFS.

This is not a bad look at the eps. This snap shot Is after the ridge retrogrades west. It’s more of a overrunning threat with some high lat blocking. It’s definitely not the GEFS but not a Niña look yet. 

98D54E65-A9A7-4B3A-8034-27508AF3D93E.png

10 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

This is not a bad look at the eps. This snap shot Is after the ridge retrogrades west. It’s more of a overrunning threat with some high lat blocking. It’s definitely not the GEFS but not a Niña look yet. 

98D54E65-A9A7-4B3A-8034-27508AF3D93E.png

Yeah it’s got potential with that look. Potentially overrunning  as you said, but can’t work the details out this early. Like Will said yesterday, it’s good to have the choices between something like the EPS and GEFS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When it looks like the pattern change is always two weeks away..... 2001-2002....2011-2012.... whatever. We're here today. That's not nothing in 2020.

Would be nice if our 2 weeks of winter encompassed Christmas and New Year, but then again, Christmas isn't about snow and getting 2020 the hell out of here counts more than any number of blizzards...

Normally I roll-eyes when the social tenor in here 'memes' on a popularity for grousing with that song and dance that 'pretends we're not trolling'

But, hmm in this case,  in deference to the lack of cold in Canada, despite the favorable PNA look ... I have to say I am impressed folks are objectively/lucid to the idea in this case.

I remember opining either in this social media outlet, or emailing to some Met once ...probably both, that about 7 or 9 years I notice a difference setting in. It seemed we crossed a threshold. Our flop direction when facing modeled marginal looks started not going to -1C ... and in fact, going the other way.   Maybe it's just another under-the-radar metric in how our region expresses a warming world. Our flop tendency --> +1 ... 

I don't mean that from any empirically derived hard thing ... Just an observation/anecdotal in general.   It seems we are more and more NJ-like. I know ... I know ... desperately cobble counter arguments but ... okay.   Maybe?  But just keep in mind...climate change is happening ;)  And if/when that change is in the 'up' direction ... ?  See ...one of the beauties - and saviors of sanity - about the cosmos is that reality still exists whether people want to believe it or not - lol... 

Anyway, the climate bands are migrating N.  And seeing whopper +PNA's over 10 day stints approaching a proper winter climo month  ... fail to load cold ... mm. I don't know...In 1946 I don't believe we necessarily had to have a -EPO to get things going...  nah.  It's endemic to modernity and where we're heading ... it's just so slow that we end up here and people don't recall a "switch" or definitive event that demarcates when a seamless boundary passed by - but it's "climate event horizon" stuff - you don't know you cross over the point of no return...  So, being a little poetically/symbolic there but still -

But, I remember saying ... it's like in the olden days we could count on a +2 C, 850 mb thermal layout in the CCB of coastal, on any given D8,  winding up isothermal blue menaces... That just doesn't seem so reliant in anymore.  It's like the "synergistic" tendency? Those ephemeral results that only exist while the storm is happening, emerged warmer now than 50 years ago... at all scales...dailies/events/ ..to large synoptic evolutions.  Patterns find the warm flop direction with increasingly less excuses in getting there..

anyway, without a direct servicing cold ... the base-line does immediately go back to 1 degree too warm for anything ... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

510 DM heights around a deepening core over L.I.... 

....   rain

510 DM heights over top 534 dm thickness - ...whaaaa ...   

No kidding, in December on top of it....yet a polar bear belches and it snows to the coast, in October...

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Normally I roll-eyes when the social tenor in here 'memes' on a popularity for grousing with that song and dance that 'pretends we're not trolling'

But, hmm in this case,  in deference to the lack of cold in Canada, despite the favorable PNA look ... I have to say I am impressed folks are objectively/lucid to the idea in this case.

I remember opining either in this social media outlet, or emailing to some Met once ...probably both, that about 7 or 9 years I notice a difference setting in. It seemed we crossed a threshold. Our flop direction when facing modeled marginal looks started not going to -1C ... and in fact, going the other way.   Maybe it's just another under-the-radar metric in how our region expresses a warming world. Our flop tendency --> +1 ... 

I don't mean that from any empirically derived hard thing ... Just an observation/anecdotal in general.   It seems we are more and more NJ-like. I know ... I know ... desperately cobble counter arguments but ... okay.   Maybe?  But just keep in mind...climate change is happening ;)  And if/when that change is in the 'up' direction ... ?  See ...one of the beauties - and saviors of sanity - about the cosmos is that reality still exists whether people want to believe it or not - lol... 

Anyway, the climate bands are migrating N.  And seeing whopper +PNA's over 10 day stints approaching a proper winter climo month  ... fail to load cold ... mm. I don't know...In 1946 I don't believe we necessarily had to have a -EPO to get things going...  nah.  It's endemic to modernity and where we're heading ... it's just so slow that we end up here and people don't recall a "switch" or definitive event that demarcates when a seamless boundary passed by - but it's "climate event horizon" stuff - you don't know you cross over the point of no return...  So, being a little poetically/symbolic there but still -

But, I remember saying ... it's like in the olden days we could count on a +2 C, 850 mb thermal layout in the CCB of coastal, on any given D8,  winding up isothermal blue menaces... That just doesn't seem so reliant in anymore.  It's like the "synergistic" tendency? Those ephemeral results that only exist while the storm is happening, emerged warmer now than 50 years ago... at all scales...dailies/events/ ..to large synoptic evolutions.  Patterns find the warm flop direction with increasingly less excuses in getting there..

anyway, without a direct servicing cold ... the base-line does immediately go back to 1 degree too warm for anything ... 

Don't get me wrong....global warming is real...but why are we raising eyebrows when it takes time to reload the source region after a month of seeing the continent gang-raped by the Pacific?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1