• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

GFS is definitely a shorter torch. Still pretty bad but at least the front is already through by 12z Xmas. 

Ggem is horrific. 

Ukie is actually getting closer to pretty interesting. It’s pretty positively tilted for longer before going negative and then develops a wave along the front...another few miles and its snow Xmas morning for a lot of New England ...prob already good enough for snow in M VT that run  

image.gif.9794f680889689b1b47e72072234ae68.gif

image.gif.97f24952f654493e11f6ebd3bf1e5048.gif

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Check that. Decent temp drop at sunrise now... -1°. There’s something to these spikes down in temp at sunrise here. I wonder if the rising sun warms the top of the trees and strengthens the inversion briefly until the solar heating reaches the surface. 

-5 with about 16-17”in the open fields.  Went to downtown CON this morning.  Lots of snow there!

38 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Coastal storm Dec 28

Yup ..it's pretty clear this is the next major player/signal to watch for ... roughtly 26th thru NYE ...

Much too early to thread it out there, but this signal has been pretty obvious as a PNA rise, ... "pulsed" west base NAO tandem for about 4 of 5 days frankly.

I suppose in the conceptual sense, the lakes cutter and warm sector intrusion has the climate history of preceding the NAO ... transient or more ...as a leading phenomenon to the mode transition toward negative...then if the PNA does roll up underneath ... usually eastern N/A's mid latitudes wind up in business for cold storminess -

Back in the day, I would have started a thread for this given the signal as is.. .but, it seems there is a general culture to wait things out more -

• Like 1

In fact ... I can see the nuanced 'hints' in the GEFs individual members, ... and even the operational runs ( like the GGEM) that the period between Boxing day and NYE has a subsume characteristics about it...

That's basically when the lower Ferral latitudes and the upper Hadley latitudes are moving cyclonically relative to one another ... That means, the southern stream ejecting features along ...and the N stream is either tending to or outrightly in retrograde.

That's precarious for phasing ... The western ends of or in whole, SPV fragments dangling by and by ...in wait, and these lower latitude or intermediate ( doesn't have to be "S sream" per say even) stream disturbances "entice" them to crash south... But they are mechanical juggernauts and when they due they usurp and devour the S wave's dynamics ...using said wave's moisture input and ...

BOOM!!

There are countless analogs to describe this sort of phase - I'm surprised there isn't phase labels for that matter.  Like, we have "Miller A" and "Miller B" and hypothetical M C's and D's therein... There should like American Weather Forums A and 'Forum B, phase types.. lol.  Because you can have open wave, two stream phasing that is different than the classic "Cleveland Super Bomb", or "Feb 1978" - that year was an absolutely fantastic year for subsume type phasing... 

The 12z GGEM is missing the southern component to the above model, else it would be a classic... where's as the GFS seems to conserve the speed of the flow by staggering an N stream backside insert at an usual trajectory .. Obviously, these are all subject and highly likely to change...just that when the background canvas looks vulnerable, the operational concept darts tend to hit more targets -

• Like 3

I am not saying that above post/annotation effort is about to redux... but, I am seeing that same relative cyclonic motion between 60-70 N vs 35 N ... at super synoptic scales - and that is presage to vulnerability for this sort of subsuming you see in that idealized example ...about a close to perfect as a fluid medium can ever achieve - jesus...

I lived thru that ..by the way, over SW lower Michigan ...  no, I've never seen anything like that since - sorry... I've lived out here in snow storm conceit Kingdom of legend and gods for over 30 years now and have never seen anything compares to that physical expression that resulted

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Euro is digging the southern stream way into the southwest.

Yeah it nearly buried it this run but didn’t quite do it and it still managed a phase. I’m hoping it actually gets trapped in the southwest eventually on the next few runs. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it nearly buried it this run but didn’t quite do it and it still managed a phase. I’m hoping it actually gets trapped in the southwest eventually on the next few runs. 

that "hesitation" you and Bri dawg noted though ...could be a hint at where this is heading...

in simplest terms:  yes a full phased multi- stream latitude screw job can happen - but it isn't favored given the longer termed hemispheric behavior. 

which ..considering the latter - I don't think is endemic to just some present pattern.  no way - that's been doing that progressive shit for decade or more ...regardless of index mode, land air or sea or in aggregate therein, too -

but, anomalies relative to anomalies nest at times..  we'll see