• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
November Banter 2020

George BM

We had our first Covid related death today of someone I knew.  Yesterday at around 5:00 PM the police came to our door.  The neighbors around an apartment we sublet were reporting an odor.  Our tenant had been dead for over a week.

It is not clear as to the exact cause but the ME suspects and overdose or liver failure.  

This man was in recovery.  Prior to COVID, he was attending daily 12 step meetings and helped countless others around him.  He was an example of how to stay sober for people around him.  Over the summer I spoke with him and he said that he started drinking again.. he said that while their were virtual meetings 24 hours a day, it didnt substitute for the person to person connection you get in the recovery community.

He told me that several of our friends had already passed away.. now him.

54 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

In all the years voting I've never seen so many people as today when I left the poll at 7:15 . Glad I went real early. 

good to hear. will probably be the highest turnout of voters in history nationwide today. 

37 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Let’s start the campaign for a snow shutout early. C’mon y’all we can do this.

No Snow 2020-2021!!!! Join the movement. Make your voice heard! (God knows they are in the winter thread)

maybe just for your backyard. some of us actually want snow. :snowing:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mappy said:

good to hear. will probably be the highest turnout of voters in history nationwide today. 

The tally of voters will be interesting.  I volunteered for our local precinct 8 years in a row until 2 years ago (it's hard work to stand nearly all day from 6am until around 10pm and then work the next day).  The turnout in 2016 was incredible.  Nearly 70% for the precinct, which is amazing for any election.  In 2016 we had people in line all day, with periodic surges.  

My wife and I went to vote in person a couple hours - the same precinct was nearly deserted.  No line at all to check-in or record your ballot and only a handful of other voters visible.  Understand a LOT of people cast main-in ballots this year, but didn't expect the in-person turnout to be so low.  

1 hour ago, RDM said:

The tally of voters will be interesting.  I volunteered for our local precinct 8 years in a row until 2 years ago (it's hard work to stand nearly all day from 6am until around 10pm and then work the next day).  The turnout in 2016 was incredible.  Nearly 70% for the precinct, which is amazing for any election.  In 2016 we had people in line all day, with periodic surges.  

My wife and I went to vote in person a couple hours - the same precinct was nearly deserted.  No line at all to check-in or record your ballot and only a handful of other voters visible.  Understand a LOT of people cast main-in ballots this year, but didn't expect the in-person turnout to be so low.  

In Maryland, as of this morning 2.35 million votes had already been received from mail in/drop boxes and all in person early voting days. It’s almost 85% of 2016 and about 56% of all voters. Most counties are letting you vote at any precinct in your county, not just your jurisdiction. That probably helps some locations and hurts others. 

Thanks for voting! 

It has been averaging in the 30s and 40s for lows the past 2 weeks here in central Texas. I think this bodes well for the Mid Atlantic. You guys should average 20 degrees below normal for nighttime lows, like we have been. For us, these are super freezing cold temps at night, akin to Dale City getting 13 degree lows every night this time of year. I want you guys to be ice age cold, but not us. We depend on a long growing season down here.

I hope that this is only a blip for us. If it turns out to be a long term trend, this winter down in the Deep South could be Deep Trouble. We are not insulated for that kind of weather. I have livestock too, and they are definitely not used to super cold weather. My life down here is slightly different to how I once lived in Dale City, lol, and I am enjoying it. Should have done it 40 years ago!

Last night, we hit 38 AGAIN! You'd never imagine our normal low is 56. We just dont get return warm humid air from the GoMex any more. Some fool built an 8 mile high wall all along the Gulf of Mexico and we cant warm up any more.

4 minutes ago, Jebman said:

It has been averaging in the 30s and 40s for lows the past 2 weeks here in central Texas. I think this bodes well for the Mid Atlantic. You guys should average 20 degrees below normal for nighttime lows, like we have been. For us, these are super freezing cold temps at night, akin to Dale City getting 13 degree lows every night this time of year. I want you guys to be ice age cold, but not us. We depend on a long growing season down here.

I hope that this is only a blip for us. If it turns out to be a long term trend, this winter down in the Deep South could be Deep Trouble. We are not insulated for that kind of weather. I have livestock too, and they are definitely not used to super cold weather. My life down here is slightly different to how I once lived in Dale City, lol, and I am enjoying it. Should have done it 40 years ago!

Last night, we hit 38 AGAIN! You'd never imagine our normal low is 56. We just dont get return warm humid air from the GoMex any more. Some fool built an 8 mile high wall all along the Gulf of Mexico and we cant warm up any more.

yup... Looks good in Texas!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 40westwx said:

yup... Looks good in Texas!

OK today is a little better down here. Good southerly winds, dewpoints up in the upper 40s instead of the frigid low 30s for a change. Wow, this place is changing markedly. It takes us 2 weeks to warm up! Thats more like Washington DC then south central Texas lmao.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:25 PM, losetoa6 said:

My guess is @nw baltimore wx:lol:

Thanks for the props!! I was actually backpacking in Dolly Sods again. Cold and windy as all get out yesterday,, but today was spectacular. The whole trip was great.

Working on the second and third sheets to the wind now. Here’s a pic from the this morning with the smoke from our fire hanging over the creek.

image.jpeg.ad8962a1c28c3fbc17b120f12fc3b09a.jpeg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Thanks for the props!! I was actually backpacking in Dolly Sods again. Cold and windy as all get out yesterday,, but today was spectacular. The whole trip was great.

Working on the second and third sheets to the wind now. Here’s a pic from the this morning with the smoke from our fire hanging over the creek.

Looks like the Alaskan wilderness during its first frost in August.

Big Stone Coal?

1 hour ago, JakkelWx said:

Looks like the Alaskan wilderness during its first frost in August.

I’m not sure what you know of Dolly Sods, but your words are echoed by so many in that the area has some commonalities to fauna of Alaska. It’s such a beautiful area.

59 minutes ago, WeatherShak said:

Big Stone Coal?

Blackbird Knob near the intersection of Harman. The best part of the trip is that all mud yesterday, and even today in the shade, was frozen enough to not sink ankle deep. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic