• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, Thinksnow18 said:

On the contrary I also believe the Euro overdoes the WAR at times as well. This could lead to a real tight gradient synoptic track in December and especially January 

https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/us-winter-outlook-cooler-north-warmer-south-with-ongoing-la-nina?fbclid=IwAR1CoWldQvKKAcDeoh5h1pgPNbmlDc1QB5xawS90hnjNB22yjIpl1mbO_4c

We are on the verge of record breaking territory for the lack of Arctic sea ice for this time of year.  It's just insane to see that just 30 or 40 years ago we had nearly twice as much as ice at this time as we do today (~4 million square kilometers more of pack ice!).  If you don't think that makes a huge difference in our winters then I don't know what to tell you.  Climate change is accelerating and will decimate winters as we know them in the coming decade or two.  Just heart breaking to see this..

Capture.thumb.JPG.f0eb2e608af8d2901f0a63d48c20b8f9.JPG

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

We are on the verge of record breaking territory for the lack of Arctic sea ice for this time of year.  It's just insane to see that just 30 or 40 years ago we had nearly twice as much as ice at this time as we do today (~4 million square miles more of pack ice!).  If you don't think that makes a huge difference in our winters then I don't know what to tell you.  Climate change is accelerating and will decimate winters as we know them in the coming decade or two.  Just heart breaking to see this..

I saw that the other day. There is a reason all long term winter outlooks show all red and orange. It's not because they have a warm bias, its because of global warming. The entire planet on average is warming at an accelerating rate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

We are on the verge of record breaking territory for the lack of Arctic sea ice for this time of year.  It's just insane to see that just 30 or 40 years ago we had nearly twice as much as ice at this time as we do today (~4 million square kilometers more of pack ice!).  If you don't think that makes a huge difference in our winters then I don't know what to tell you.  Climate change is accelerating and will decimate winters as we know them in the coming decade or two.  Just heart breaking to see this..

Will it really decimate our winters though? I mean, the sun will still leave the Arctic for 6 months and the ice will reform through the winter. How much difference will it make down here at lower latitudes if the temps are -20 on average around the arctic circle versus -30?  I know this is oversimplifying things and no doubt temps are warming. Maybe it’s more a question of how warm can we really get in winter months when farther northern latitudes will always be super cold thanks to no sun. 

To counter my own thoughts, perhaps the normal seasonal snow pack pushes north year after year, say from near Ottawa now (they always seem to retain a pack when we torch and green in winter!) to insert name of Canadian town here. In which case we end up with winter climo of Columbus, OH in 25 years.  So yeah, decimated would be a good choice of words in that scenario. 

31 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Some frost advisories issued for this evening..

Screenshot_20201016-101644.png

I don’t like how they do this.  The 10 of us on this weather forum understand why they are not showing frost advisories for the rest of the counties in upstate NY, but the 15 people in my office think there will be a frost in those counties but no frost in the counties where they don’t show a frost advisory.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Will it really decimate our winters though? I mean, the sun will still leave the Arctic for 6 months and the ice will reform through the winter. How much difference will it make down here at lower latitudes if the temps are -20 on average around the arctic circle versus -30?  I know this is oversimplifying things and no doubt temps are warming. Maybe it’s more a question of how warm can we really get in winter months when farther northern latitudes will always be super cold thanks to no sun. 

To counter my own thoughts, perhaps the normal seasonal snow pack pushes north year after year, say from near Ottawa now (they always seem to retain a pack when we torch and green in winter!) to insert name of Canadian town here. In which case we end up with winter climo of Columbus, OH in 25 years.  So yeah, decimated would be a good choice of words in that scenario. 

I'll have to search for the paper, but I remember reading that a study predicted that lake effect snow would increase with climate change.  Don't quite remember the reasoning....warmer lake waters perhaps?   Still need the cold temps though.   Outside of a lake effect area, I can see reasoning for a diminishing winter impact.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, winter_rules said:

I don’t like how they do this.  The 10 of us on this weather forum understand why they are not showing frost advisories for the rest of the counties in upstate NY, but the 15 people in my office think there will be a frost in those counties but no frost in the counties where they don’t show a frost advisory.  

Well those places have already been rocked by a hard freeze so it doesn’t really make a difference. The damage is done. The plants are gone and the growing season ended. 

Gonna have to keep an eye on the lake band late tonight into early tomorrow.  Maybe see some graupel?

Now, northeast of Lake Erie including Buffalo Metro will be tricky as temps will fall quickly and some patchy frost may try to start to form in outlying areas away from the city. However, just as that occurs, arrival of upstream shortwave and swath of deeper moisture in large scale trough swing across which along with sw low-level flow with H85 temps -2c will set up a lake response off Lake Erie aimed toward Buffalo Metro. Forecast soundings show lake equilibrium levels climbing toward 20kft, so lake response could be robust, at least briefly. Pops were already high, but increased QPF some. Heavest lake effect could produce rain amounts over 0.50 inch later tonight if they stay stationary long enough. As this lake effect ramps up, expect temps later tonight downstream of Lake Erie to rise back into the 40s.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Euro!!! (Practicing for winter)

Has some flakes at the end of it's run lol

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_ne.png

Gotta think even with rain at lower elevations those temps are upper 30’ at best. This could get interesting for the lake belts if comes to fruition. And did the euro just cave to the GFS at long range?