• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

4 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

Of course!  I’m not sure what other aspect would be historic around here? 

Measurable snow in October is exceedingly rare in Rochester.  Since 1950 we’ve only had 3 days that ever had over 1 inch of snow and never a day with more than 3”.  So seeing these model outputs teasing a foot is snow is pretty amazing! That 0z run is pretty magical, but the tree damage would be catastrophic if one of these runs verifies. Looks like crazy low ratio stuff (that’s if we can actually flip the column via dynamic cooling on the lake plains).

0z gfs still has it but a little less impactful, 0z euro has the same storm but not the snow yet

46 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

BUF NWS completely disregarding GFS for Wed.- Sat....."Cool and dry"  BGM at least mentions the threat....

Yeah KBUF has been very vanilla lately with their wording. Friday night forecast was for scattered showers and a rumble of thunder possible...it ended up a line of near severe storms and heavy rain for about an hour or so...

While there is some enthusiasm for the possible event at the end of next week, stay cautious and try not to get too caught up in model runs. Ive lived here for the past 20 yrs and have never seen accumulating snow in October. Can it happen, it sure can and 2020 would be the perfect yr for it to occur, lol, as everything else has this yr, but all kidding aside I doubt we see anything other than a few wet snow flakes mixing in if there is even an event to track. All the models have this event in one form or another so the possibility remains but Id bet for it to head much further NW than what the models are predicting. I do think the EURO out to lunch with its suppression look so early in the season but who knows.

• Like 1

It’s sad when they don’t even mention it solely for the sake of what a novelty it is.  I can’t ever recall seeing such a significant  snow event (modeled) in late October for WNY, even if it’s just just a couple models that are out to lunch. Its rare, fascinating, and cool. Seems like Buffalo has lost some of its passion.  McLaughlin (an old legend at the Buffalo NWS) would have at least mentioned it at the end of his discussion because he seemed to truly get excited about weather. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

While there is some enthusiasm for the possible event at the end of next week, stay cautious and try not to get too caught up in model runs. Ive lived here for the past 20 yrs and have never seen accumulating snow in October. Can it happen, it sure can and 2020 would be the perfect yr for it to occur, lol, as everything else has this yr, but all kidding aside I doubt we see anything other than a few wet snow flakes mixing in if there is even an event to track. All the models have this event in one form or another so the possibility remains but Id bet for it to head much further NW than what the models are predicting. I do think the EURO out to lunch with its suppression look so early in the season but who knows.

While I agree with you I will always have to turn to October 11th and 12th 2006...the infamous October surprise LES event that dropped 25” at the airport. After that took place I realized anything can happen...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

A few lake effect events in October..

You just missed out on the event in 2015..

A_label (3).png

41 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

While I agree with you I will always have to turn to October 11th and 12th 2006...the infamous October surprise LES event that dropped 25” at the airport. After that took place I realized anything can happen...

And that wasn’t the first time either. I believe it happened in the 40s and late 1800s. 

• Thanks 1

A few lake effect events in October..
You just missed out on the event in 2015..

1807533104_A_label(3).thumb.png.004da9320fa73e9d435383dca0dbeeef.png
Wow and it was primarily on a NNW flow which is even more bizarre, lol, but yeah, it was close. Maybe Brian can chime about the October snow in our neck of the woods cause I dont remember any of them but I could definitely be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Interesting as thats a pretty nice position one would want to see both the SLP and the HP but the thermals are still well above freezing, weird but this one definitely bears watching especially for the higher elevations of CNY.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Not really. Most of Upstate north of Sullivan co. is ~33° or lower away from lakes.

18 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Temps just south of Lake Ontario are 2 degrees above freezing...with any sort of heavy rates it won’t be hard to imagine enough cooling to take place and change everything to snow...in fact temps just north of Lake Ontario are below freezing. The dynamics are there.

I agree. Temps verbatim aren't really bad in that solution.