• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueValleyHVAC
    Newest Member
    BlueValleyHVAC

2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

1 hour ago, weatherlover said:

Probably off topic but does anyone know how many days the mountains (Beech) has had snowcover? I check the webcam up there a lot and it seems they have had snow on the ground for the last month.  

I know I've had snow on the ground since before Christmas eve on Beech.  But I'm almost 1k feet below the Beech summit so who knows way up there.

2 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

I know I've had snow on the ground since before Christmas eve on Beech.  But I'm almost 1k feet below the Beech summit so who knows way up there.

Old snow is nasty and hard. I like to start with a fresh, barren landscape and watch it transform into a winter oasis of fluff. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MotoWeatherman said:

Happy for the resorts that we’ve avoided the torch this winter. They’ve had a rough two previous years 

Damp day so far, just had a sleet shower but that’s about it.  Winter feel to air as opposed to sunny and 50’s yesterday over at Bear Creek Lake.  Good afternoon to finally try out my new kayak. 4C84FC82-0B5D-42B6-A6F0-B62F85F13A99.thumb.jpeg.0947a22f27036ec76f9423f7857ddc1e.jpeg

• Like 7

Coming up to Boone/Blowing Rock area tomorrow with the kids to do some sledding!  Does anyone have any ideas where a good place to take the kids sledding is that won’t be as crowded?  Not a pay to sled place just a good hill somewhere for a 5 year old and 3 year old.  Thanks for any info!

• Like 1

Coming up to Boone/Blowing Rock area tomorrow with the kids to do some sledding!  Does anyone have any ideas where a good place to take the kids sledding is that won’t be as crowded?  Not a pay to sled place just a good hill somewhere for a 5 year old and 3 year old.  Thanks for any info!
Everything is gonna be packed out on a Saturday. If you go either early or later in the day the Parkway Maintenance building where 221 and the Parkway meet outside blowing rock is a good place. Multiple hill options. It'll be crowded for most of the day, though.
  • Like 1

Interesting drive to Asheville today. Was 37 with a low cloud deck in Marion, up to 41 halfway up Old Fort mountain then down to 38 on top of the mountain. A few sprinkles on the back edge of the cloud deck before punching out. It was 46 in Asheville. 

Wanting to stay the night in the Boone/blowing Rock area.  Trying to avoid hotels but wanted an Airbnb.. Everything around that area seems to be booked up.  Anyone have any ideas ?   Thanks!

23 minutes ago, weatherlover said:

Wanting to stay the night in the Boone/blowing Rock area.  Trying to avoid hotels but wanted an Airbnb.. Everything around that area seems to be booked up.  Anyone have any ideas ?   Thanks!

Stay down in Morganton or Marion, it will be less booked and cheaper. Its an easy drive from there to spend a nice day in the mountains. 

Snow event on target for today.  Enjoy as it may be the last good snow weekend for a while

Great weekend for back country outdoorsman

AFD

NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/

AS OF 330 AM...A LARGE STACKED LOW WILL SLOWLY DRIFT EAST ACROSS

THE OHIO VALLEY TODAY, BRINGING STEEP MID-LVL LAPSE RATES AND

SOME MOISTURE INTO THE FORECAST AREA. WESTERLY LOW-LEVEL FLOW WILL

PRODUCE PERIODS OF SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SNOW SHOWERS ALONG THE TN

BORDER, WITH ELEVATIONS ABOVE 3500 FT GETTING GENERALLY 1-3 INCHES

THRU THIS EVENING. THE CURRENT WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY LOOKS GOOD

FOR TODAY INTO TONIGHT.F702876A-ED59-49C4-8445-147C97F68CB7.png

3D103F90-F0A1-4F52-B387-ED7C26B9C551.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elev3999 said:

Snowing since 5am here. Very light but it’s 22 and laying on everything. 

DBFB0025-A1C9-4090-B5DB-C9AC6747D5F9.jpeg

Crazy you had snow since 5 and down below you it didn’t start up til 7:45-8ish. Coming down steadier now, comes and goes in steadiness. Light dusting on everything here as well.

Switched to light snow about 20 minutes ago in town.  Starting to accumulate a bit. Dusting on everything with visibility down to less than a half mile. 

• Like 3