• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueValleyHVAC
    Newest Member
    BlueValleyHVAC

2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Slacked back off, these bands come and go,  was right on my 1/2” guess. Just measured that on the compacted snow on the porch and what was on my hemlock branches.

• Like 1

Just now, WxKnurd said:

Slacked back off, these bands come and go,  was right on my 1/2” guess. Just measured that on the compacted snow on the porch and what was on my hemlock branches.

Lol I want a full analysis of when, were, and how,  with moisture content and how warm was the hemlock branch sir....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have been mostly rain here since the initial batch. Very close to being a decent surprise though, if it had come in 5 or 6 hours earlier

• Like 1

Just now, Met1985 said:

Lol I want a full analysis of when, were, and how,  with moisture content and how warm was the hemlock branch sir....

Haha.  At an ambient temperature of...

I really need to setup a measuring board since I’m using trees :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

I’m down at countryside. It’s puking big flakes here. 

Microclimates... anyone looking at the Euro next week? Pretty cold air diving down and something brewing in Texas. Will probably get squashed 

Just now, WxKnurd said:

Haha.  At an ambient temperature of...

I really need to setup a measuring board since I’m using trees :lol:

Lol so do I. My deck is kind of open but I need a proper board.  It's only appropriate for being a weather enthusiast lol.

Just now, wncsnow said:

Microclimates... anyone looking at the Euro next week? Pretty cold air diving down and something brewing in Texas. Will probably get squashed 

Yeah I posted about it on the other page. Looks decent.  Really you cannot complain with the temp profile after the last two winters.

NWS GSP having fun this afternoon... :lol:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
As of 1246 PM EST Monday...Sometimes in this business, you have
to know when to throw in the towel when the atmosphere refuses
to cooperate with the forecast. This is one of those times when
a mid-course correction is required. Will dramatically increase
precip probs into the likely range for the afternoon and into the
early evening based on observations and radar trends upstream
as this system is making a mockery of the previous forecast
guidance. Fortunately, we are talking about a high probability of
low precip amounts, because temps across the higher terrain should
allow the precip to fall as light snow in many places. For the
moment, it appears that temps and low QPF will keep the potential
for snow accumulation below the threshold at which we would consider
a Winter Wx Advisory, so none will be issued...yet...altho we
continue to monitor. Temps will also not make it as warm as
expected now that light precip either reaching the ground or
evaporating aloft covers the fcst area. Have cut a category off
the high temp. We will address the problems again in two hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Perhaps it's me but Friday looks like a sneaky little storm system may bring additional snow to the Mountains as a strong cold front presses in. 

• Like 3

I’d say that’s an accurate map.  Here on the Haywood/Jackson line we were probably around an inch total if you added it all up. Accumulating  snow, it would melt and then another band would put down accumulating snow and so on.

not sure who it was that said it, but the quote (may be off a bit) "if we don't score in this coming pattern, we suck" is ringing in my head. Very excited about how the next couple of weeks look.

• Like 3

Well we have the freezing fog this morning! It's pretty neat. We are covered in this thick cloud and its 20 degrees. Also there is like this diamond dust thats falling here at the house. So we have a thick coating of ice fog on everything.  Wish I could get a pic when the sun breaks but ill be asleep. 

• Like 3

Wx Twitter this morning has been fun to follow. Someone out of Canton inside the city limits posted this pic.

@Met1985, this is likely the evergreen plant providing just enough moisture to create a heavy diamond dust or light snow event for this person's yard (Evan Fisher's theory and I think it sticks). Diamond dust was falling in downtown Asheville as well. 

1_13_21.thumb.jpg.3329e6bea29181e1742505b6b7867a36.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Local Yokel Wx said:

Wx Twitter this morning has been fun to follow. Someone out of Canton inside the city limits posted this pic.

@Met1985, this is likely the evergreen plant providing just enough moisture to create a heavy diamond dust or light snow event for this person's yard (Evan Fisher's theory and I think it sticks). Diamond dust was falling in downtown Asheville as well. 

1_13_21.thumb.jpg.3329e6bea29181e1742505b6b7867a36.jpg

Yep I have seen this a lot actually being from here. It is a neat phenomenon and the conditions have to be just right. 

Some surprises wintry precip happening across MS, AL, & GA. Sitting here wondering if that sneaks into the SW mountains later tonight. Models have it drying up, but we know how that goes sometimes. Thinking someone might at least see a snow shower from it tonight.

• Like 4

Looks like we are on tap for cold and snow in the mountains this weekend.  Life is good. 
Good, I got a buddy from Columbia coming up this weekend with his son to ski. Looks like a good weekend is coming hopefully. And I need some fresh snow to cover the ice. The snow from the past week is really hanging on up here, which has led to lots of ice of the eastern slopes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Probably off topic but does anyone know how many days the mountains (Beech) has had snowcover? I check the webcam up there a lot and it seems they have had snow on the ground for the last month.  

Probably off topic but does anyone know how many days the mountains (Beech) has had snowcover? I check the webcam up there a lot and it seems they have had snow on the ground for the last month.  
I run instacart grocery up there a good bit and it has been a long time since I wasn't trudging through ice.

We're liable to go 2 weeks at my house or more with the way the pattern looks. Still several inches from last Friday in the shady spots.