• Member Statistics

    16,059
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    cheeroip
    Newest Member
    cheeroip
    Joined
wdrag

Tropical connection NYC forum area Sun-Wed, 8/2-5/20- Tropical Storm Isaias

Recommended Posts

An 80 mph gust on LI and 70 on the Jersey Shore is a good possibility.  I'll be covering this one from manasquan (as usual) and certainly emphasize the tornado threat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Why ?

Interaction with the trough will enhance the winds. Some areas will come close to hurricane force wind gusts especially on the coast.

He says this for every single storm. Let him do his thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

He says this for every single storm. Let him do his thing. 

I think  a reasonable call is 1-2 inches of rain for NYC with winds 20-35 and gusts up to 60 with a few locations  hitting 70

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Big Jims Videos said:

An 80 mph gust on LI and 70 on the Jersey Shore is a good possibility.  I'll be covering this one from manasquan (as usual) and certainly emphasize the tornado threat.  

I'd be shocked if we didn't see some hurricane force gusts. This storm has been big on winds from the start.

The winds on the east side of an accelerating tropical system can be quite powerful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SnoSki14 said:

I'd be shocked if we didn't see some hurricane force gusts. This storm has been big on winds from the start.

The winds on the east side of an accelerating tropical system can be quite powerful. 

Yea, i think the south shore beaches gust to 65, ISP and FRG will gust mid-50s. We will see some outages out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember these things tend to be a bit more east of what you expect.  I would not be surprised to see the metro spared the worst winds in the end with a 20-30 mile east kick.  Central-East LI though are locks to see strong winds 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12z HWRF has a period of 50-60kts for Sandy Hook, NY Harbor and 40-45kts for Southern Queens, Brooklyn and SI. Elsewhere sustained winds look to be in the 20-30kt range which I personally think is a bit underdone compared to model consensus. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Remember these things tend to be a bit more east of what you expect.  I would not be surprised to see the metro spared the worst winds in the end with a 20-30 mile east kick.  Central-East LI though are locks to see strong winds 

Models are tightly clustered on taking the center near Philly. Difference then is does it continue on a NNE heading into Upstate NY which would deliver the winds or does it take more of an Easterly pivot which would kick the wind potential East of the city?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Models are tightly clustered on taking the center near Philly. Difference then is does it continue on a NNE heading into Upstate NY which would deliver the winds or does it take more of an Easterly pivot which would kick the wind potential East of the city?

 

NNE moving tropicals verify east of the NHC forecast at 24-48 hours 90% of the time I think. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Those are always overdone

Overdone by how much? Cut them in half and you have widespread 50-70mph gusts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ukie has been really consistent  in showing alot of rain and damaging  winds for the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Is this real?

o5bFjdr.png

It's been consistently the strongest modeling of the globals. Hope it's wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

The ukie has been really consistent  in showing alot of rain and damaging  winds for the area.

There aren’t going to be 100+mph gusts with this. That’s insane. I’d say maybe 70-75 right on the beaches and 60mph elsewhere East of the center. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those two UKIE maps are some serious business.... like others have said prob cut that wind map in half which is still up in the storm force wind just range.... i am sure a few locations will see hurricane force wind gusts.  However, the precip map is extremely concerning on top of those winds.  Any thoughts on 4-7" of rain? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

There aren’t going to be 100+mph gusts with this. That’s insane. I’d say maybe 70-75 right on the beaches and 60mph elsewhere East of the center. 

Agreed but you just never know. Huge blowup of convection currently to the North and NW of the center. The change in directional shear is allowing this to have one last gasp. Radar is a bit long range but looks like it may have closed off an "eyewall" again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

 

NNE moving tropicals verify east of the NHC forecast at 24-48 hours 90% of the time I think. 

If thats true why doesn't the NHC incorporate that knowledge into their discussion on storm trackC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

Those two UKIE maps are some serious business.... like others have said prob cut that wind map in half which is still up in the storm force wind just range.... i am sure a few locations will see hurricane force wind gusts.  However, the precip map is extremely concerning on top of those winds.  Any thoughts on 4-7" of rain? 

Moving awfully fast to dump that much rain IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Moving awfully fast to dump that much rain IMO

Any interactions with the trough can do wonders. The storm is looking better down south .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Moving awfully fast to dump that much rain IMO

That simply ain't true.... tropical systems can drop 4-6" in 2/3 hours easily.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

That simply ain't true.... tropical systems can drop 4-6" in 2/3 hours easily.

That is certainly true.   We'll see tomorrow right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

12z HWRF has a period of 50-60kts for Sandy Hook, NY Harbor and 40-45kts for Southern Queens, Brooklyn and SI. Elsewhere sustained winds look to be in the 20-30kt range which I personally think is a bit underdone compared to model consensus. 

1B8CAC61-C2EF-4F53-81E5-D34D5C6B3ADA.thumb.png.a18b0a0b8b7026e89decd4c6a288f394.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.