Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

30 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Spruce Peak... i dont want  water park/kids ...a heated outdoor pool is fine....nice restaurant/ nice bar set up....all glass lobby you can relax...nice rooms to bone in ...you know 

Been married for 20 years, I've forgotten :(

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Those poor kids in VT. Probably huddling inside playing Mario-Kart.

Just a fukkin’ sufferfest up here for those poor kids.  

You just hate to see those partly sunny days with low dews and 75-80F.  I never would’ve gone outside to play whiffleball or ride mountain bike trails in this stuff. 

CAF6FA9F-E1AE-4F31-97ED-A8FD78CEBFCD.thumb.jpeg.7e8e028a46084ab6acc264a9c78afd36.jpeg 

• Like 1

All joking aside, it’s nice to see the kids back outside.  

There’s a large daycare about a third of a mile down the road and the poor kids were huddled inside the A/C all week... finally was able to hear them on the playgrounds again today.  They take big group walks on the Rec Path and such, so good to finally see them back outside enjoying the weather.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Just a fukkin’ sufferfest up here for those poor kids.  

You just hate to see those partly sunny days with low dews and 75-80F.  I never would’ve gone outside to play whiffleball or ride mountain bike trails in this stuff. 

Scooter has transformed into an old lady in summer within a period of like 2 years...wearing a shawl outside if it's not 95F.

We were outside with my son biking today and I saw more people than usual. That' whats happens when its 80/50 vs 90/70.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Scooter has transformed into an old lady in summer within a period of like 2 years...wearing a shawl outside if it's not 95F.

We were outside with my son biking today and I saw more people than usual. That' whats happens when its 80/50 vs 90/70.

I totally get enjoying whatever weather you want, but I don’t see the reasoning haha.  Unless kids are different now, we spent the 90/70 days in someone’s cold basement playing Golden Eye.  75F and partly sunny was like 5 hours playing whiffleball or street hockey with the neighborhood crew until your parents force you home.

Without a doubt we spent more time inside during high heat afternoons, huddled in A/C.

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It's typically pretty hard to get long term drought conditions around here. Even this one is a short term drought thanks to the last month and a half. Otherwise we were running normal precip. If you are wiping out groundwater for multiple seasons then maybe your trees could get crispy. That's why it's typically surface fuels that burn and not whole forests.

The birch-beech-maple forest, aka Northern hardwoods, is also called the "asbestos forest".  However, a similar forest but with more oak burned for over a month during October (but mainly before much leaf drop) in NNJ back in 1963.  Much of the ground was a glaciated boulder field with tree and mt laurel roots and duff down within the rocks.  Fire would follow the fuel and a firefighter spraying a blaze would sometimes have another pop out of the rocks behind him (all guys back then.)  Good view from our HS, could see by smoke intensity (and smell) how the fire had progressed during the overnight.  (NJ also had about 200,000 acres burn in one day that April, but the Pine Barrens are a fire type ecosystem.)  For NNE outside that "asbestos forest", one should read "1947 - The Week Maine Burned" before getting overconfident.  And perhaps check PWM temps/precip for that October.  But even in the spruce-fir country it's extremely rare to have a crown fire in mid summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Had i knew then what i know now, I would have done my neighbor a favor when they were dormant and removed this nest in early spring, It won't happen next year.

Maybe you should subscribe to the insect and disease report from the Maine Forest Service.  They include reminders and procedures for pre-emptive control of browntail several times fall thru spring.  (Among many other things)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I-91 Is hilarious, heading north there are billboards for the New Hampshire fireworks stores, heading south there are state electronic boards warning “fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts!”

Plus the signs threaten jail-time.  That's going to scare the shit out of the other inmates.  "Don't mess with that dude--he used a roman candle".

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Plus the signs threaten jail-time.  That's going to scare the shit out of the other inmates.  "Don't mess with that dude--he used a roman candle".

Ha, the only time I’ve ever seen State Police at the family cabin in the woods in Woodstock, CT was for fireworks.  Just a bunch of threats about fines and citations but on July 4th they actually sent two troopers to investigate for low grade fireworks.  They took what we had left too.

I remember my uncle lost it on them... you came all the way out here from Tolland to steal some kids fireworks on the 4th of July...

Ironically they were bought in New Hampshire lol.

• Haha 2

Helluva way to run a drought.

Saturday
Showers likely. Highs in the upper 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Humid with lows in the upper 60s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph in the evening. Chance of rain 50 percent.
Sunday
Showers likely with a chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Chance of rain 60 percent.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows in the mid 60s. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Monday
Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 80s.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.
Tuesday
Partly sunny with a 50 percent chance of showers. Highs around 80.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Lows in the lower 60s.
Wednesday
Partly sunny with a 50 percent chance of showers. Highs in the upper 70s.
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers. Lows in the lower 60s.
Thursday

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Helluva way to run a drought.

Saturday
Showers likely. Highs in the upper 70s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers. Humid with lows in the upper 60s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph in the evening. Chance of rain 50 percent.
Sunday
Showers likely with a chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. Chance of rain 60 percent.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers. Lows in the mid 60s. Chance of rain 40 percent.
Monday
Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers. Highs in the mid 80s.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 60s.
Tuesday
Partly sunny with a 50 percent chance of showers. Highs around 80.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Lows in the lower 60s.
Wednesday
Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers. Lows in the lower 60s.
Thursday

You do understand how those work right? It’s built into the algorithm. I’ve seen you post these silly forecasts in the winter mentioning snow everyday and it flurries once. There’s probs everyday for rain. You’ll maybe see measurable one of those days lol

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You do understand how those work right? It’s built into the algorithm. I’ve seen you post these silly forecasts in the winter mentioning snow everyday and it flurries once. There’s probs everyday for rain. You’ll maybe see measurable one of those days lol

Yeah a bunch of 30-50% chances of showers outside the mountains doesn’t make one feel all warm and fuzzy.... but does a 30% chance of a passing shower mean there’s a 70% chance of dry?

In the winter it’s the “days and days” of snow that turns into one period of snow and some occasional flurries for most folks.  

Really the only places where those daily chances seem to materialize are prone to orographics.  

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah a bunch of 30-50% chances of showers outside the mountains doesn’t make one feel all warm and fuzzy.... but does a 30% chance of a passing shower mean there’s a 70% chance of dry?

In the winter it’s the “days and days” of snow that turns into one period of snow and some occasional flurries for most folks.  

Really the only places where those daily chances seem to materialize are prone to orographics.  

He sees that and envisions rains everyday . When reality is most of the days are mostly sunny and warm to hot. If it says likely , that’s the day there’s a chance of a pm storm. In the winter he always posts those and it shows snow or showers all 7 days lol. And then he asks where all the qpf went. I honestly didn’t think anyone even looked at that stuff. It’s useless 

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, the only time I’ve ever seen State Police at the family cabin in the woods in Woodstock, CT was for fireworks.  Just a bunch of threats about fines and citations but on July 4th they actually sent two troopers to investigate for low grade fireworks.  They took what we had left too.

I remember my uncle lost it on them... you came all the way out here from Tolland to steal some kids fireworks on the 4th of July...

Ironically they were bought in New Hampshire lol.

Ma doesn’t like fun. Nobody listens anyway. I’m sure there are just as many fireworks being set off here as anywhere else. Just no tax dollars here 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He sees that and envisions rains everyday . When reality is most of the days are mostly sunny and warm to hot. If it says likely , that’s the day there’s a chance of a pm storm. In the winter he always posts those and it shows snow or showers all 7 days lol. And then he asks where all the qpf went. I honestly didn’t think anyone even looked at that stuff. It’s useless 

I think one person here is fond of throwing out 'days and days of snow'.  And it's not me.......

And, my qpf angst has nothing to do with a series of days.....it's all tied to a specific.  You know this.

In any case, my lawn is watered and looking lush.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I think one person here is fond of throwing out 'days and days of snow'.  And it's not me.......

And, my qpf angst has nothing to do with a series of days.....it's all tied to a specific.  You know this.

In any case, my lawn is watered and looking lush.

Post on Wednesday night how many days it rained and your total and we’ll match it up to your posted forecast 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

J.Spin, Alex, Phin and the mountains can pick up 1-2 feet in 7-days of 50% snow showers ha.... I’ll get 6-8” at 1.5”/day and most folks though will see some passing flurries.

I know how much it can snow up in the high elevations of NNE. A cow could fart in Texas and I would get an inch of snow on top of a mountain, when I went camping at the White Mountain National Forest area before I was a teen. I think it was this area, although I don't remember much as it was long ago. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol. And MPM had a 60% of snow on 5 out of 7 days on a P n C and got 1.2 cumulative 

Seriously, Kevin--who is it on this forum who touts 'days and days of snow'???  Take a look in the mirror.

Truth told, when I complain about my qpf I often end up scoring the mid-level goods. 

58 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Ma doesn’t like fun. Nobody listens anyway. I’m sure there are just as many fireworks being set off here as anywhere else. Just no tax dollars here 

Wish we would reban them. They make an absolute mess. My neighbors left my yard a junkyard full of plastic and other debris. 

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Wish we would reban them. They make an absolute mess. My neighbors left my yrd a junkyard full of plastic and other debris. 

Get use to it, Sales are up over 100% because of all this Covid crap going on, People staying home needing something to do, And all these July 4th Cities/Towns cancelling their displays, Its only going to get worse, Deaths/Injury's will be up as well because of them.