• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Hc7
    Newest Member
    Hc7

May 2020 Discussion

On 5/15/2020 at 1:45 PM, madwx said:

the latest NAM has 500-1000 J/KG of ML CAPE over Wisconsin and Michigan early Sunday morning and has it lasting into the afternoon in Michigan.  Previous runs had the low going from the Quad Cities to Toledo, the new run has it going from La Crosse to Detroit.

The CAMS are showing northern end of the line now just west of Chicago making it all the way up to GRR.  I don't see it producing much lighting as whatever CAPE there is is tall and skinny, but the rain is going to be a problem as instead of moving east the line is supposed to just kind of slowly pivot around the low similar to a tropical rain band. 3-4" rain totals are not needed.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, frostfern said:

The CAMS are showing northern end of the line now just west of Chicago making it all the way up to GRR.  I don't see it producing much lighting as whatever CAPE there is is tall and skinny, but the rain is going to be a problem as instead of moving east the line is supposed to just kind of slowly pivot around the low similar to a tropical rain band. 3-4" rain totals are not needed.

Already pumping the basement after Thu/Fri delivered 1.5+ here. The two worst floods since living here (Aug '08) were the already mentioned hurricane remnant in Sept of '08 and ofc just 2 years ago in Feb 2018 when the Kzoo river valley set record flood levels due to the heavy rain on top of rapid melt-off of that deep snow pack. Autumn of 2016 (or was it 2015?) was also bad now that I think of it. Just too damned much flooding lately. Tired of drying my basement so often. It's been beyond ridiculous but as said "it's what we do" :flood:

Went out for a run today today from Wheaton towards Chicago; on the way out we passed a flooded parking lot with a single car in it, whose owner was frantically trying to figure out what to do, given that his car was standing in about a yard of water. on the way back, only the car remained, but by then only the top eight inches or so of it were visible. it was a smaller sedan but still, I've never seen anything like it. Must suck for the owner.

• Sad 2

We've got easterly winds throughout the depth of the troposphere.  Not something you see every day.

• Like 1

Just now, cyclone77 said:

80s with dews pushing 70 by the weekend.  It's about time.

It depends on how the shortwaves eject from the western trough but should have a few chances at thunderstorms starting Friday as well

cloudy and damp with light rain the next two days will prevent  any real soil moisture recovery

..then only a few days of true drying out before the possible weekend rains and wetter pattern 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, janetjanet998 said:

cloudy and damp with light rain the next two days will prevent  any real soil moisture recovery

..then only a few days of true drying out before the possible weekend rains and wetter pattern 

Even in the long range, looks like the second half of this May is going to be a washout.

Models last week had today in the low 70s.  Instead, we have mid 50s and drizzle.

The GFS keeps us in the 60s all week because of the cool pool aloft.  The avg high is in the low to mid 70s now.

• Sad 1

Only about 0.05 away from the May precip record at ORD.  

8.20” of rain at ORD this month now.

As you said, only a bit behind 2019 (8.25”) and 2018 (8.21”).

4 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

8.20” of rain at ORD this month now.

As you said, only a bit behind 2019 (8.25”) and 2018 (8.21”).

Just amazing that they are going to break the record 3 years in a row.

• Like 2

some heavy rainfall rates over North Central IL between PNT, Lasalle and PIA

.5 up to 1 inch per hour on the small cells out of LOT

There seem to be a spoke of storms along the south side that may turn NE into the hard hit areas

already convection increasing over hard hit  Livingston county

low is just NW of PNT....with an almost deformation zone on the west side

• Like 1

Summer cancel.  50s rain/fog for the forseeable future.  Any models showing 70s, will be beaten back like a Trump supporter.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

48 minutes ago, weatherbo said:
Went looking for brook trout yesterday and all I got was this stupid sunset. Glad all the rain and weather passed south but wow the north wind has been stout!
98346800_10222710665300756_3463225073580638208_o.jpg.15c3badb45d3bdacdda4dcc75814ecba.jpg

All the snow melted up there?

2 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

patches here and there still

Never ending winter :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, madwx said:

We've got easterly winds throughout the depth of the troposphere.  Not something you see every day.

My would be mega bliz for the ages wasted out of season. :thumbsdown:

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Late last week it was looking muggy with upper 80s to 90 around here for the holiday weekend. Now it appears low 70s and showers. I'll take it, my wife is having ACL surgery on Thursday so crummy weather is fine. 

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Chicago broke the May precip record, with almost 2 weeks left in the month.  8.41" and counting.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:50 PM, A-L-E-K said:

our basement laundry area is taking on water worse than i can remember in a decade or so in this building

Might as well go for double digits and Alek won't have any clean clothes to wear until June.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Only 59 for a high here today due to the persistent heavy overcast/drizzle.  DVN only made it to 58.  We're less than 2 weeks from June.  What is this, the UP? :P

At ORD, the normal high for today is still only 71, and at MKE it’s only 66. Highs at MKE yesterday and today were only 54 and 53, respectively.  

I know you’re further west...but the great lakes influence doesn’t really go away here until early June, at which point average highs at ORD are more in line with areas in the Midwest away from the lakes.

Just last year, ORD had the following high temps in May:

53 on May 11th

52 on May 12th

57 on May 20th

54 on May 21st

And in May 2018, even with the hot end of the month, ORD had highs of 52, 50, 55 on May 11th, 12th, and 20th respectively. 

The point is that May days can be quite chilly around here, compared to what many “expect”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On vacation in St. Pete Beach from Sun-Sun (17-24th)...

Had a tornado warning early yesterday morning, as a line of storms moved through with 60mph+ winds. Ended up with a nice sunset, as lingering cirrus finally exited during the evening.

a7073ae37c2a15e7280215871aad32a9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1