• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    David
    Newest Member
    David

May Banter 2020

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’ve got two more videos to make for class tomorrow and then I’m out to the patio to have a couple of beers from yesterday. Thanks, again. We really enjoyed ourselves.

I had a good time too, hope you make it back again soon.

I forgot to get you a Big Barrel Pants can and ran down the street to try to catch you as you were leaving Siriannis.  Just missed you, but got some good exercise out of it lol.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I forgot to get you a Big Barrel Pants can and ran down the street to try to catch you as you were leaving Siriannis.  Just missed you, but got some good exercise out of it lol.

Big barrel pants? Is that a stout or barley wine? Sounds like I need one of those 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonjon said:

:lol: 

Damn.  I'm really sorry we didn't see you, but man, Siriannis' pizza is good!  Just had a couple of slices for dinner and now getting into the Porter.

Went on a wonderful hike, got a bottle of mead from the local meadery (Clearskies Meadery), got crab cake curbside delivered from Coastal Flats. Today was a wonderful day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baltimorewx said:

Cool. If I ever come out your way I’ll check it out. Yeah I like Burley Oak and RaR in Cambridge has their out of order series which is very good. Have to pick up what I just ordered which included PB&J, candy apple, dirty banana and white chocolate strawberry mouse 

Burley Oak is great. Not tried their sours though, as I am not a big fan in general. I need to give that genre more of a try I guess. Maybe the sour/sweet balance would be more palatable to me.

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Burley Oak is great. Not tried their sours though, as I am not a big fan in general. I need to give that genre more of a try I guess. Maybe the sour/sweet balance would be more palatable to me.

Yeah I’ve only been to burley oak once unfortunately and it was in the middle of the day during the week but was still a nice experience. I’d like to go again. Never been to RaR but I have to pick up my beer order this week so I’ll at least get to see it 

1 hour ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Went on a wonderful hike, got a bottle of mead from the local meadery (Clearskies Meadery), got crab cake curbside delivered from Coastal Flats. Today was a wonderful day.

Where’d you hike?

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

Where’d you hike?

Seneca Creek Greenway Trail. It is absolutely devoid of people. Perfect hiking place in the pandemic.

• Like 3

Here's the trail I've been doing if any of you need a good one with very few people and need to get out of the house:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/maryland/seneca-creek-greenway-trail-watkins-mill-road-to-frederick-road?u=i

Note: there are many more sections of the Seneca Creek Greenway Trail and you can hop on or off any of them. This section is one of the more traveled ones but even here you might only see 3-4 people on the course of your hike.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

Big barrel pants? Is that a stout or barley wine? Sounds like I need one of those 

Its a barrel aged pale/strong ale.  Basically we put our non-dryhopped Big Boy Pants in a Buffalo Trace barrel for 6 months.  Much more complexity than I was anticipating.  Very strong, a nice sipper.

• Like 1

Found out we can open at half capacity on the 21st.

Not sure if I want to or not, got some time to ponder I suppose.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Its a barrel aged pale/strong ale.  Basically we put our non-dryhopped Big Boy Pants in a Buffalo Trace barrel for 6 months.  Much more complexity than I was anticipating.  Very strong, a nice sipper.

Nice. Wouldn’t mind giving that a try 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 7:05 PM, wxdude64 said:

Yep, I just got in. OUTSTANDING day. Walked around our local lake (6-7 miles) then drove up to the airport (3700 ft el) and just enjoyed the mid 30's and 30 mph wind for probably the last time until October. UNLESS I make it out to son's place in Colorado that is.......

Well, I was proven wrong! Another March in May day to savor before inferno gets cranking over the weekend. Just back from up there again, 33 degrees and heavy clouds and 20-30 mph winds. Walked Bear Loop trail. Not another soul around. About as good as it can get in my book.

I read somewhere this morning that someone (CAPE maybe?) was looking for a place that doesn't hit 90 and has snow basically year round? Not a cheap place, but I can throw out Summit county CO from a personal experience. SLIGHTLY cheaper is going just south into Park county. 

It was 43 this morning here at the house, climbed to 46 about 1pm and now has been falling last 2 hours. Currently 44.8 degrees.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Well, I was proven wrong! Another March in May day to savor before inferno gets cranking over the weekend. Just back from up there again, 33 degrees and heavy clouds and 20-30 mph winds. Walked Bear Loop trail. Not another soul around. About as good as it can get in my book.

I read somewhere this morning that someone (CAPE maybe?) was looking for a place that doesn't hit 90 and has snow basically year round? Not a cheap place, but I can throw out Summit county CO from a personal experience. SLIGHTLY cheaper is going just south into Park county. 

It was 43 this morning here at the house, climbed to 46 about 1pm and now has been falling last 2 hours. Currently 44.8 degrees.

Minus the rain, this has been an epic stretch of weather for you.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers here! And especially Mother @mappy ;) I always view you as the somewhat mother of our forum...giving us firm scoldings and timeouts when we need them :)

Thank you!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Here's the trail I've been doing if any of you need a good one with very few people and need to get out of the house:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/maryland/seneca-creek-greenway-trail-watkins-mill-road-to-frederick-road?u=i

Note: there are many more sections of the Seneca Creek Greenway Trail and you can hop on or off any of them. This section is one of the more traveled ones but even here you might only see 3-4 people on the course of your hike.

Thanks for this.  I’ll check it out.  Can you access the creek for fishing?

11 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Easily! It’s quite shallow in many spots though, really only knee deep. I’m not sure what level of fish actually exist in it.

1 hour ago, wxdude64 said:

Yeah that was me, but I said where the only months it "cant snow" are the actual summer months. I more had the the Canaan area in mind. There are lots of places like that out west for sure, but yes most are on the pricey side, otherwise you are literally in the middle of nowhere lol.

3 hours ago, jonjon said:

That's all me by the sounds of it. With any luck I will be out that way sometime this summer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah that was me, but I said where the only months it "cant snow" are the actual summer months. I more had the the Canaan area in mind. There are lots of places like that out west for sure, but yes most are on the pricey side, otherwise you are literally in the middle of nowhere lol.

Yep, you can narrow it down to the spine then. Wisp thru Davis and Canaan down to the 'Shoe. Not a lot of 'populated' places thru there either. But enough close to make it work. And trust me, I KNOW about the 'pricey', son lives in Breck area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Minus the rain, this has been an epic stretch of weather for you.

Running a -7.9 currently to date for the month, including hitting 82 on the 4th. Crazy!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jaydreb said:

Don't waste your time fishing it. It's shallow and fast moving.

29 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

@C.A.P.E. heading to Cambridge today to pick up my RAR order...do you know of any good parks in particular nearby to walk the dog? 

If it's not too far out of your way, Blackwater NWR is worth a visit. About a 10 min drive south from the heart of Cambridge off 50.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

@C.A.P.E. heading to Cambridge today to pick up my RAR order...do you know of any good parks in particular nearby to walk the dog? 

Also, right in Cambridge is a park right on the water (Full Sail park??).its easy to see and find.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, snowfan said:

If it's not too far out of your way, Blackwater NWR is worth a visit. About a 10 min drive south from the heart of Cambridge off 50.

When are breaking out the boat? I’ll be looking at the end of May or early June near the full moon for my first crabbing trip,