Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Discussion

weatherwiz

ORH had snow too but it didn't amount to measurable

KORH 130454Z 29013G32KT 1 1/2SM R11/6000VP6000FT -SN SCT026 BKN034 BKN050 01/M02 A3008 RMK AO2 PK WND 31033/0444 SNB46 SLP193 P0000 T00111022 401110011
KORH 130449Z 30018G33KT 1 3/4SM R11/6000VP6000FT -SN FEW012 BKN034 BKN050 02/M02 A3008 RMK AO2 PK WND 31033/0444 SNB46 P0000

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I'd agree if "summer" meant near continuous warmth with high dews.  For temps only I can recall some very summery stretches, upper 90s in 1962 and '69 (NNJ) and 1977 in Ft. Kent when CAR highs for May 22-24 were 96*, 95, 94.  Looks to me like the last week of the month may have some +10 days, which at my place would be 80/50 or some such combo.
*That's tied with June 1944 for CAR's hottest on record.

Mid 20s this morning - last freeze of the season?

I think that was the year we had the crucial Memorial Day weekend series between the Yankees and Twins.  Earl Battey vs Elston Howard battling for premier catcher in the league status.  Memorial Day weekend reached 99 at Central Park.

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH had snow too but it didn't amount to measurable

KORH 130454Z 29013G32KT 1 1/2SM R11/6000VP6000FT -SN SCT026 BKN034 BKN050 01/M02 A3008 RMK AO2 PK WND 31033/0444 SNB46 SLP193 P0000 T00111022 401110011
KORH 130449Z 30018G33KT 1 3/4SM R11/6000VP6000FT -SN FEW012 BKN034 BKN050 02/M02 A3008 RMK AO2 PK WND 31033/0444 SNB46 P0000

Did ORH have any measurable in the May 2002 event?

22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If my obs are correct, the last time BOS set two record lows in the month of May was 1967.

May of yore.

Jerry " I recall that May as being a cold and blustery one.  I was strolling through the Arboretum and I came across a hot young filly in a short skirt who was trying to read the Giants/Phillies box score from the day before.   I took pity on her and showed her the value of the suicide squeeze"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It all ends tomorrow...  "winter" transitions - finally - into ... whatever new fresh hell the same metaphysics that's caused the Pandemic wants to torture us with. 

Jesus, tongue-in-cheek, but doesn't it seem eerily on point to have us just have to be stuck in a cold, life-suppressing spring that never ends while this thing's been afoot?  ...You know, it's not though ...so surreal. What makes that more empirically rooted, thus less creepy, is humans have done this to them selves.  The fault in our gods, huh - 

Both are consequences of human activity/anthropomorphic forcing... Anyone that rolls their eyes is wrong - but, Global warming/climate change is causing these seasonal lag cold springs patterns over the N/American (whether that shows up in the thermometer graphs or not.. the 'pattern,' nimrod!) mid and high latitudes. These propensities are due to hemispheric folding off the Pacific heat eddy ...  lapsing into a -EPO and/or quasi-tendency for NW flow in general over western Canada during April to mid Junes... The geophysical root/quantity and causality can be mathematically proven, blamed on human activities since the Industrial Revolution. Heating the planet with greenhouse atmospheric waste - point blank, eat the shit truth of your own stink and deal with it - begins to effect the heating of the oceans in the extended time-lag coupled atmospheric-oceanic model, and then once the oceans cross thresholds of thermal sourcing.. they start instructing atmospheric behavior

That and yes ... some other natural variances; however, those only skew the ballast of the cause, as well, are unethically used by those that either sociopathically will lose if they admit it, or...they are too scared/small-minded to see the dimensions and scales of the implication so it "mustn't be true then -right".

But removing these latter failures of insight loud-mouth douche bag f'ball waste of time and space people, the bigger factor was and still is, human-caused...

That's the cold spring part... 

The "Great Cootie Meme of 2020" than happens because that same profligate resource sequestering, which has provisioned the 5 billion mouths to feed population explosion over the last 100 to 150 years, has given rise to exactly what pathogenicity needs: dense demographics operating in Zoonotic prone regions.  ... Viruses need host - more importantly, host density ... to propagate itself..etc..etc.. and maintain its pathogenicity.    

So, in effect, ...it is all very intuitive... Humans may not have caused both 100% ... but therein is separate failing of commoners ... when they read something like this missive, they assume absolutes - and failing that, the whole missive has to dismissible. WRONG... This is probably between 50% and 100% correct ..somewhere, but in the majority is proper in its assessment. 

Anyway,  we will lose the unrelenting cold tapestry in lieu of a new paradigm ... a pervasive hemispheric scaled modulation toward warmer in the lower tropospheric thickness layout. The cold reservoir over the higher Canadian shield shrinks in mass ... and the flow is really entering a more broken down nebularity...with shorter wavelengths at mid and lower latitudes/concomitant weaker ambient jet structures. It's probably why the mid range is trying to close off that west Atlantic thing there...but I think they might be over doing that? 

There's some confliction schools there... The EPS mean (to me) seems a better fit for keeping things moving along. However, we are entering said pattern change featuring shortened wave lengths everywhere, and with lighter fields and more generalized nebularity. Cut-offs are not a bat fit. Hm.  Still, this thing the operational GFS and now the Euro are engineering just appears to be overly amped. It's pretty late in the year for a single-dozed mechanical insert to do that. It's not the same sort of scenario as a May 2005, which was quasi still connected to the westerlies ...and got periodically re-infused with jet mechanics to keep it whirling about. It really is a completely closed off and severed whirl in the operational Euro/GFS, and my experience is that without getting fresh mechanics inserts ..those types of features get destroyed/normalized by the mid latitude warm season insolation working over the atmosphere.  The GFS seems to keep that in place, and gives the allusion of actually absorbing the ridge from the mid-west as this latter feature is progressing east - which seems a bit physically suspect.