Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Discussion

weatherwiz

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Is the damned wind going to stop?  Looks beautiful outside, sunny with blue skies.  And then you notice the trees swaying back and forth and a temp of 42°.

Yeah, I just walked the dog with a sweatshirt on and it wasn’t enough with the wind.  
50/34 here.  
RH 37%. 

3 minutes ago, klw said:

Just because it was 9F with 75 mph sustained at 6am today doesn't mean it wasn't pleasant to walk around up there.

9F is a record low there for today....I thought cranky said on Friday that the cold was only a 36 hour deal?

35 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Is the damned wind going to stop?  Looks beautiful outside, sunny with blue skies.  And then you notice the trees swaying back and forth and a temp of 42°.

It’ll stop in July when it’s 88/75 and dead air. 

I need to plan my run for today so the wind is at my back most of the way.  I think I will run from the house and arrange to get picked up in an hour.  Going downhill with the wind feels like the way to go today.

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Tie from 2005. 2 shit Mays. 

Careful ... 

2005 was a special, singularly achieved rectal-wall-plaque honors that really ... any comparison has no match in the annuls of God's sin against humanity. Granted you did not ... You only state a fact of numerology - be that as it may, let us be clear: that is a distinction of coincidence that bears no semblance as to the same affliction.

This?  Nah...too many offset sun days. Like today...Cold and a piece of shit, sure ... but it's nowhere near the diseased anus of that 2005 May

8 minutes ago, klw said:

I need to plan my run for today so the wind is at my back most of the way.  I think I will run from the house and arrange to get picked up in an hour.  Going downhill with the wind feels like the way to go today.

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

20 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

Less so then saying screw it and staying home.  Plus it conditions my legs for doing long downhills which are inevitable for me if I go on long runs.

• Like 1

Also...  I was surprised to see that we are only running like  -4 or -5 at sites.  Sensibly feels lower  - not that those are easy to come by.  But by the end of next week, cut-off west Atlantic over-architected swirl depending... we could actually starting cutting into that before the the 20th of the month.  I think that's important, because those last 10 days may end up +1 everyday as we settle back into a ( seasonality + 'CC')/2 stretch.  

It's definitely a month that could end up rife for people to spin it either way lol

I wouldn't be shocked if SPC's marginal hashing for Friday over western zones get's expanded and perhaps upgraded to slight as we get near.  

Heh, they have their "prediction climatology," I've noticed... It's like SPC's outlooks 'tend to modulate more' and are very conservative as an initial bias when initially "threats" come into vision for New England. It's like typical hash-correction climo. Lol

Can't say I blame them... Usually what happens around here is that once all known limitations have been accounted for and the threat still looks to be in play, ...nothing still happens. 

Anyway, jokes aside...the NAM hangs up the warm boundary west of Boston but East of ALB/HFD...somewhere sort of bifurcating the region around 12z Friday.  Look at LGA on the FOUS 18z to 00z Saturday, and it's 25 C at T1 with DPs nearing 70!!!!   Meanwhile, there is SSE wind field in the intior of Mass with implications of lower LCL lifted altitudes, timed with usual climo for skies to end up more bright in warm sectors at this time of year, that could generate some CAPE in a SRH saturation in there.   I just think of May and warm sector wedges intruding over a fresh wet soil and any insolation, with a mid tropospheric wind acceleration as inherently risky even around here.  

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Also...  I was surprised to see that we are only running like  -4 or -5 at sites.  Sensibly feels lower  - not that those are easy to come by.  But by the end of next week, cut-off west Atlantic over-architected swirl depending... we could actually starting cutting into that before the the 20th of the month.  I think that's important, because those last 10 days may end up +1 everyday as we settle back into a ( seasonality + 'CC')/2 stretch.  

It's definitely a month that could end up rife for people to spin it either way lol

We did start the month off with some warm days. We had that near-80F gem on 5/2 or 5/3. Been garbage ever since though. 

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Jerry " I recall that May as being a cold and blustery one.  I was strolling through the Arboretum and I came across a hot young filly in a short skirt who was trying to read the Giants/Phillies box score from the day before.   I took pity on her and showed her the value of the suicide squeeze"

Actually I was enjoying the fruits of she who would become my first wife...for real!  Summer between sophomore and junior year of college 

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Actually I was enjoying the fruits of she who would become my first wife...for real!  Summer between sophomore and junior year of college 

Did you already have the sideburns by then?

(reference to the pic of you in December 1970 hugging the snowman)

Looks like our 850s go above freezing on Thursday for the first time in like 10 days up here? 

I remember in early May discussing how long a run of <0C at 850 it looked like...and it seems like it came true in full fashion with multiple days of snowfall included.  

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like our 850s go above freezing on Thursday for the first time in like 10 days up here? 

I remember in early May discussing how long a run of <0C at 850 it looked like...and it seems like it came true in full fashion with multiple days of snowfall included.  

Nah, cranky said just a quick 36 hour cold shot.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Friday is teetering a bit too.

Friday's more of a warm frontal deal tho - 

Saturday ( to me ..) doesn't really count as this pattern is clearly a piece of shit that wont' let us truly warm sector to begin with ... ha

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

Friday's more of a warm frontal deal tho - 

Saturday ( to me ..) doesn't really count as this pattern is clearly a piece of shit that wont' let us truly warm sector to begin with ... ha

Yeah...I meant that in the sense that it's not clear we warm sector on Friday....esp N of the pike or into NH....I still think we may sneak into the warm sector, but it wouldn't shock me if we end up getting a 45F turd chucked in our face while its 77F at White Plains and Danbury, CT.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah...I meant that in the sense that it's not clear we warm sector on Friday....esp N of the pike or into NH....I still think we may sneak into the warm sector, but it wouldn't shock me if we end up getting a 45F turd chucked in our face while its 77F at White Plains and Danbury, CT.

oh I know - cannot be overstated in this tuck-cursed geography known as Satan's shit-pan-SNE that is every spring