Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Dews

4/13/20 Rain/Wind/Thunder obs/disc

Recommended Posts

This incoming shower is packing a punch!  Looks like we're in the thick of it for a good half hour looking at the incoming radar from SE CT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Or do it the old fashioned way with a motor that generates a voltage relative to the speed. Thought some of the earlier Davis stations worked this way hence their caution of extending the wind cable beyond 40 feet because the loss of voltage would cause the speed to be lower than measured.

The drop in voltage only affects the maximum possible recordable wind speed. IIRC, the max is around 175mph at 150ft but drops to under 140mph at about 250ft. They have large and small wind cups too which have different accuracies and max capabilities at different speeds and cable lengths.

Just found this...

https://www.novalynx.com/manuals/WRM_apnote15.pdf

Most of the Davis stations now have an integrated sensor suite or wireless anemometer transmitter so lengths are generally 40ft or less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The CT stations all look pretty meh the past hour. 

Think it's all done here. Stuff to the west looks like a dud. I actually thought it would have been better down in PA/NJ but guess not. I actually wonder if b/c shear was so strong any updrafts that tried to become established were just completely torn apart with not enough buoyancy. MLCAPE and 3km CAPE values were pretty decent but I guess shear just far outweighed buoyancy. Probably a situation where if the LLJ was a good 20-30 knots weaker we may have had a more widespread event (although without the higher end reports). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, weatherwiz said:

Think it's all done here. Stuff to the west looks like a dud. I actually thought it would have been better down in PA/NJ but guess not. I actually wonder if b/c shear was so strong any updrafts that tried to become established were just completely torn apart with not enough buoyancy. MLCAPE and 3km CAPE values were pretty decent but I guess shear just far outweighed buoyancy. Probably a situation where if the LLJ was a good 20-30 knots weaker we may have had a more widespread event (although without the higher end reports). 

Looked to me as if there might have been some dry air aloft... But I'm guessing. Radar had that dry look to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DotRat_Wx said:

Looked to me as if there might have been some dry air aloft... But I'm guessing. Radar had that dry look to it. 

Dry air would have helped with stronger winds.

There are times though where I kinda question the instability values spit out by the HRRR/RAP on mesoanalysis. I think there is a bit more way in the way of CIN across the region then what's being advertised given the amount of rainfall which moved through. I think too some of the better mid-level jet support was just a bit too far west

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just dumped the stratus, 3.57" of rain and a giant branch from the white pine that snapped and is dangling right over my garden...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

At least we're getting some rain to stave off our summer drought.

And dampen the fires.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing too exciting in MMK but still did a lot better than ASH. That city is such a wind pit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, butterfish55 said:


 

 


Can confirm...strongest winds of the day now. Very heavy rain

 

100kt winds there at about 1500’. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wind is done here in CT for the most part. Pretty lame and forgettable event, not to say thats a bad thing. We don't need power outages and tons of damage with everything else going on.

But for the most part in CT it was just your run of the mill advisory event with 40s and 50s gusts max with the exception of BDR at 61 mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Nothing too exciting in MMK but still did a lot better than ASH. That city is such a wind pit.

My backyard station surrounded by trees has been gusting higher than ASH

The airport seems to gust on NW winds, but it must have a terrible siting for south winds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wx2fish said:

My backyard station surrounded by trees has been gusting higher than ASH

Boire Field

Emphasis on the bore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Powers out 

Must suck to get meh wind, but lose power because of wind around you.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.