• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Stoverseed
    Newest Member
    Stoverseed

2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season

16 hours ago, Windspeed said:

ACE is now at 170. Probably going to hit 180 if Iota rapidly deepens into a Cat 4. The Greek list has been a season in of itself.

Is there a way to tell how much ACE the regular names were responsible for vs how much the Greek names were responsible for?

1 hour ago, cheese007 said:

40% blob now where the lemon was this morning. Unreal 

I wonder, this being 2020, will we finally have a measurable snowstorm in the Tampa Bay area this year? ;)

image.thumb.png.7b397d428ff89f3d300a46fef20dd65d.png

• Haha 2

On 10/21/2020 at 8:16 PM, the ghost of leroy said:

This year underachieved. That’s what I hate about it. It could have been so much better. 

Yea. This has been lame.

4 hours ago, Prospero said:

I wonder, this being 2020, will we finally have a measurable snowstorm in the Tampa Bay area this year? ;)

image.thumb.png.7b397d428ff89f3d300a46fef20dd65d.png

Implied 60% chance the 2020 Hurricane season is done.

• Haha 1

Advertisement for the 2020 hurricane season

Only 1 of these 30 storms will make it to category 5.   Which one will it be?   Spend 6 months watching the whole friggen season to find out.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, the ghost of leroy said:

i love how they have the civil sirens on as if people need warning they are getting eyewalled

It is 2020 after all you know? All common sense and logic are out the door.

Some poor idiot may decide to walk the dog at 130am. 

It's just a little breezy and  a few sprinkles :wacko2:

With nothing showing on any global models now, it looks like the season may be a wrap.  Quite a crazy season.  I think the most impressive stat is out of the 13 hurricanes, 10 made landfall at or near maximum intensity.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Link just shared with me of "live" conditions in the eyewall from Nick Panico (he's not there, himself):

https://www.facebook.com/ProfeciasMundiales/videos/401497981040549/

That's footage from Typhoon Sinlaku hitting Taiwan in 2008, just really zoomed in on a small truck from Earth Uncut TV's YouTube channel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ultimately the WMO makes the final call on TC naming conventions for the N. Atlantic basin, even though the NHC can suggest changes. That said it is time to serious reconsider the use of Greek names and the lack of ability to formally retire them. Zeta, Eta & (probably) Iota would all normally be fairly strong contenders for retirement, with Delta probably being less likely. I know its unlikely the Greek names would be used very othen, but you wouldn't want the (small) chance you have another Hurricane Eta in a Caribbean in a couple of years.

2 hours ago, Calderon said:

That's footage from Typhoon Sinlaku hitting Taiwan in 2008, just really zoomed in on a small truck from Earth Uncut TV's YouTube channel.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I should’ve taken a few minutes to look at the video before sharing it, but I trusted it was real.  Will never understand why people do such dishonest things.  After viewing it, it’s obvious it’s a loop of the same footage being run repeatedly.   That aside, James captured great video on that Typhoon you mentioned.  

I've been saying for a few months that we in the Tampa Bay area won't consider ourselves out of the woods until Thanksgiving. Granted Eta was a visitor and I look forward to some time this week to finish cleaning up.

But maybe the season is over for us.

11 minutes ago, Prospero said:

I've been saying for a few months that we in the Tampa Bay area won't consider ourselves out of the woods until Thanksgiving. Granted Eta was a visitor and I look forward to some time this week to finish cleaning up.

But maybe the season is over for us.

So in your opinion where is the threat coming from?

32 minutes ago, RT1980 said:

So in your opinion where is the threat coming from?

I don't see any threats looming. 2020 has been quite a year, but I am not concerned about any tropical threats right now for us.

Waiting for cold fronts to come down and give us rain now...