Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM

COVID-19 Talk

Just now, supernovasky said:

Owch on the new MD cases. Virginia too.

Waiting for updates on deaths.

More new cases could just be a result of more widespread testing.  We probably should be tracking deaths and new hospitalizations. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

More new cases could just be a result of more widespread testing.  We probably should be tracking deaths and new hospitalizations. 

Absolutely. 

4 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Yea. Appears +74 fatalities...ICU utilization from COVID patients up 25% though.

9 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Absolutely. 

13 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Yes, but if the # of tests goes up and the % of positives doesn’t drop (which is whats happening) that’s not good.  Ideally we’d maybe be seeing more cases but a lower % positive. 

Hospitalizations is what MD is looking at for reopening criteria right?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Hospitalizations is what MD is looking at for reopening criteria right?

"The primary gating benchmarks for Maryland are: first, the current hospitalization rate (including the current ICU bed usage rate) for COVID patients; and, second, the number of daily COVID deaths. Deaths are a lagging indicator, so the State’s primary gating metric for this recovery roadmap is the current COVID hospitalization rate. The rate of COVID patients occupying beds is currently our most accurate measure of our ability to slow the spread of this deadly disease in Maryland. However, once testing in the state becomes truly robust, new case rates could also become an effective gating metric in Maryland."

https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/MD_Strong.pdf

• Thanks 1

I went to hike my favorite trail thinking I could socially distance. The trailhead is more packed than I’ve ever seen, worse than the Florida beaches. I noped out and am going to a quieter trail.

• Like 2

Ecuador and France are not reporting. That's probably 20% of all cases missing .... unreal outbreaks in those countries.

5 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

Ecuador and France are not reporting. That's probably 20% of all cases missing .... unreal outbreaks in those countries.

And the Ecuador outbreak is centered in guayaquil, which is very tropical.  Not a good sign if you’re hoping for summer to stop this. 

36 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

I went to hike my favorite trail thinking I could socially distance. The trailhead is more packed than I’ve ever seen, worse than the Florida beaches. I noped out and am going to a quieter trail.

"Noped out"...lol Haven't heard that one!

3 hours ago, mappy said:

+1150 new cases 

NY near 10k today. But I thought basing this on a % vs tests conducted was the better method of determining spread?

18 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

NY near 10k today. But I thought basing this on a % vs tests conducted was the better method of determining spread?

Yeah they ran 47k tests. % positive down.  It’s good news. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah they ran 47k tests. % positive down.  It’s good news. 

Who are they testing? 47,000 people presented with flu like symptoms?  Or are they expanding the testing criteria?

2 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Who are they testing? 47,000 people presented with flu like symptoms?  Or are they expanding the testing criteria?

I have no idea, hard to imagine 47k people all had flu like symptoms.   

1 hour ago, supernovasky said:

image.jpeg.413ea54516321f7ed86e9bcad3732871.jpeg

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Vice-Regent said:

If nothing else too conservative ... this will be around for a long time. It will be an extended struggle.

That wasn't my point.  Read the last item on the list. 

1 hour ago, jaydreb said:

image.jpeg.413ea54516321f7ed86e9bcad3732871.jpeg

Haha... So true though! Our parks have been packed the past weeks/months. Record numbers for this time of the year. 

Yeah... don’t go to Annapolis Rock trail in Frederick. I did find that the Weverton Cliffs trail was very isolated though with gorgeous views of the Potomac.

Meadowood regional park in Timonium where I work part time was certainly more crowded than has been today. Certainly a product of a decent day and cabin fever. Lots of people out and about today. The stay at home order honestly as kind of become a joke. 

8 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Meadowood regional park in Timonium where I work part time was certainly more crowded than has been today. Certainly a product of a decent day and cabin fever. Lots of people out and about today. The stay at home order honestly as kind of become a joke. 

Hikes, walking, etc are specifically mentioned as exceptions in the stay at home order, so I can see why people are doing it - it's allowed under the rules.

But god they have to learn to wear masks and not congregate. There was NO social distancing at the first hiking trail I pulled up to, hence why I left it.

6 hours ago, jaydreb said:

Yeah there are about 1,500 more tests per day the last few days compared to last week. The percentage of positive from tested, are still roughly the same. 

1 hour ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Haha... So true though! Our parks have been packed the past weeks/months. Record numbers for this time of the year. 

Hopefully it's not a big problem.

1 minute ago, Amped said:

Hopefully it's not a big problem.

Good info but there are caveats - China's COVID transmission happened in winter, so you wouldn't expect many outdoor outbreaks.

2 hours ago, supernovasky said:

Hikes, walking, etc are specifically mentioned as exceptions in the stay at home order, so I can see why people are doing it - it's allowed under the rules.

But god they have to learn to wear masks and not congregate. There was NO social distancing at the first hiking trail I pulled up to, hence why I left it.

I’m not blaming people for being out at parks and things like that. Just seemed like a lot of people in general out and about today and an uptick in traffic for sure. My local Dunkin’ Donuts was off the chain This morning 

We had a bit of a nonessential day and went to do driveway visits to family. Got to see my now 6 week old niece for the first time. 

• Like 2

Folks be wary of the onslaught of "recent studies".  Question the source and see if there was a control group.  Otherwise the conclusions are likely dubious.

12 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Folks be wary of the onslaught of "recent studies".  Question the source and see if there was a control group.  Otherwise the conclusions are likely dubious.

I read that COVID transmission in the outside environment is highly dependent on weather conditions. Interesting considering this is a wx forum.

46 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

and whether it's a preprint or if it has been through peer-review.

• Thanks 1