Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
COVID-19 Talk

mappy

6 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Initially I was considering responding to this, but I don’t have it in me lol.  There’s too much wrong and it’s too incoherent to dissect.  

His general thesis is actually not that far off IMO.  But the length of the post just makes it hard agree with or disagree with. He should have gone with alcohol kills people and is considered essential.  Shoes don’t kill people and shoe stores are considered non essential.

3 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Initially I was considering responding to this, but I don’t have it in me lol.  There’s too much wrong and it’s too incoherent to dissect.  

Its the  best  post  on here. Let  me  ask another  question if  i may. May  i? Thanks.

If all these stalinist  governors  are so concerned about "the  kids" and  people  in general and  how  one  death is  1 too many can anyone explain why none  of them as  of  yet  have  banned the sale  of  tobacco products? Cant they just  dictate that anyone caught  smoking or selling a tobacco product will be  imprisoned? How  many people are  killed  by  tobacco?

How  many people do ABC store  employees kill  compared to a waitress? How  many people does walmart  kill by  selling  cigarettes as  compared to a  shoe salesperson?

4 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Sometimes the goverment needs to protect people from themselves.

:weenie: :weenie: :weenie:

Yep - and for some the protection comes in the form of one of those nice white jackets with no sleeves.  They come in any color you want as long as you like white.  After they put one on the protected, they put em in a round room with padded walls and tell them to stand in the corner.  Keeps em occupied for a while...

1 minute ago, ldub23 said:

Its the  best  post  on here. Let  me  ask another  question if  i may. May  i? Thanks.

If all these stalinist  governors  are so concerned about "the  kids" and  people  in general and  how  one  death is  1 too many can anyone explain why none  of them as  of  yet  have  banned the sale  of  tobacco products? Cant they just  dictate that anyone caught  smoking or selling a tobacco product will be  imprisoned? How  many people are  killed  by  tobacco?

How  many people do ABC store  employees kill  compared to a waitress? How  many people does walmart  kill by  selling  cigarettes as  compared to a  shoe salesperson?

Dude what’s your affinity for ad hominem arguments. Do you think dropping Stalin in every  other paragraph adds legitimacy to anything?  If your arguments can’t stand up on their own merits without some name calling transfer tactic they are weak sauce. 

Frankly even the couple of points you made that accidentally wandered into the same zip code of a logical argument aren’t worth responding to because some of that ridiculousness and the disingenuous way you present it make it obvious you’re trolling. 

9 minutes ago, SnowtoRain said:

Actually, there is a grain of truth in this, pandemics are obviously most lethal to more vulnerable populations.  Before modern medicine the more healthy and genetically fit survived.  Those that survived had, in general, longer lives  and those genes were passed down to future generations creating demographics that were more resilient.

This played out during the bubonic plague (Dewitte, 2014) and on a catastrophic scale with small pox in the Americas.

Fortunately, with modern medicine we do not have to go through such turmoil just to have future generations survive and prosper.

As for forest fire suppression, the analogy makes some sense because through fire suppresion it has completely changed the environment that those species live in, allowing certain less resilient species to colonize and allowing other populations to take on traits less suitable to surviving the natural fire cycle that should have been occuring.  This creates the opportunity for when fires that do occur to become even more destructive due to more plant material present and less resilient populations.  That is why management strategies now have shifted to control burns to allow a more natural fire cycle to reduce material, help sustain native populations that are resilient, and also ensure less damage to infrastructure from uncontrollable fires.

Makes sense, but seeing as how this specific pathogen kills mostly old people those genes are already passed on.

9 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

His general thesis is actually not that far off IMO.  But the length of the post just makes it hard agree with or disagree with. He should have gone with alcohol kills people and is considered essential.  Shoes don’t kill people and shoe stores are considered non essential.

hahaha I tried to read it and get some main ideas but it was too much. 

With my sports  posts  im expecting to make about the wonderful redskins draft  this  is  it  for  me tonight. Back to my point about  cigarettes. We all know most  of these  people wouldnt even be  dying  of  corona  unless they had another  morbidity factor  caused  by  cigarettes so when your  neighborhood stalinist  tells  you every  life  is  precious ask them why they dont seem to care about thier  own policy  of  selling tobacco that is cuasing  most  of the  corona  deaths.

10 minutes ago, ldub23 said:

There is an interesting debate to be had about putting dollar values on human life.  When cuomo says “you can’t put a value on life”, that’s just not true.  We do all the time.  One argument I’ve heard along these lines is if we value human life infinitely why isn’t the speed limit 15 mph on all roads? You could pretty much eliminate all traffic fatalities (30-40k per year).   The price of those 30-40k lives is the convenience and economic benefits of driving fast. 

9 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Dude...:facepalm:

1. one thing being worse doesn’t make another problem not a problem. Even if you win the argument alcohol is a problem it doesn’t mean covid isn’t. 

2. Criticism of one bad policy doesn’t justify another bad policy. 

3. We can do more than one thing at a time. I hate this type of argument “but what about that other problem over there”.  It’s a diversion. 

4. We do do things about alcohol. We have drunk driving laws. We have public intoxication laws. Open bev laws. Age restrictions. Serving restrictions (at least we did when I was a bartender in VA many moons ago). Substance abuse programs. Don’t act like we don’t care or think it’s a problem. 

5.  No I’m done...just can’t anymore...

• Like 2

Just now, losetoa6 said:

They won't....but imo why not   start now because even if we wait 1 month or even  2  from now there will still be a measure of fear and uncertainty in many people initially when places open . I think most business owners probably realize it will be a very slow start back up but it's taking that first leap back on the" horse" that's  a good feeling even if they're in the " red" for a temporary period.  Just my opinion.   No easy answers that's for sure .

This makes sense to me.  I saw one estimate from Bowser’s office that up to 20% of currently closed businesses in DC may not return, that’s a huge hit not just to those businesses but to the city’s revenue stream and everything that depends on it. 

Serious question......how many of you are truly missing something that's been closed? 

Haircut? I cut mine. It looks as good as youd get at sport clips

Car maintenance? Yes for the big things. I can change my own brakes, oil, filters, plugs, etc.

Car wash? No. I'll wash my own.

Dentist/Dr? Yes, for general apts.

All other places I generally visit have been open the entire time. Grocery store, gas station, restaurants w pick up, spirits, Lowe's/home depot/garden store, bike store.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

They won't....but imo why not   start now because even if we wait 1 month or even  2  from now there will still be a measure of fear and uncertainty in many people initially when places open . I think most business owners probably realize it will be a very slow start back up but it's taking that first leap back on the" horse" that's  a good feeling even if they're in the " red" for a temporary period.  Just my opinion.   No easy answers that's for sure .

I don’t disagree with you at all. I think some regions that have not been effected much should start cautious phases openings. Even here I think if the metrics continue to improve the next few days we are close to a start to phased openings keeping some degree of social distancing in place. I’ve neger once made an argument for a lengthy lockdown. I’ve simply argued for a logical science based methodology to the openings and I’ve railed against some silly or manipulative posts. But since a few of those were in favor of a quick opening (or against any collective action at all) I think I was lumped into some extreme long term lockdown club. In some cases I didn’t necessarily disagree with the plan so much as the illogical methodology they were using to justify it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Serious question......how many of you are truly missing something that's been closed? 

Car maintenance? Yes

All other places I generally visit have been open the entire time. Grocery store, gas station, restaurants w pick up, spirits, Lowe's/home depot/garden store, bike store.

I'm missing general maintenance basically. Dentist, elective surgery, laser hair removal, and my court date getting tossed into oblivion.

Hair cut I can handle by myself along with most other things. I have actually enjoyed a break from mass consumerism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowfan said:

Car maintenance? Yes

I love Chinese food and the couple we go to are shut down completely.  

The one place we have been going there for 20 years.

Not the end of the world lol but ill certainly atleast do carryout from them as soon as they open

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 40westwx said:

I agree (kinda) but I think we might see this even if we continue the way we are heading.  In otherwords, the area under the sharp curve is equal to the area under the flattened curve.  

Nature is gonna take its course one way or another.. and this virus will continue to spread until we reach optimal immunity. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Control_of_Nature  

Are thousands of people living in a high rise apartment “nature taking its course”. What about people congregating in shopping centers or movie theatres?  Or people quickly traveling thousands of miles in planes and cars?  What else about our society strikes you as nature taking its course?  Do you use electricity?  Drive a car?  That’s nature? But with this one thing we should let nature take its course?   Next time you get strep throat should we let nature take its course?  

15 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Makes sense, but seeing as how this specific pathogen kills mostly old people those genes are already passed on.

That creates an interesting question than, whether or not a pandemic like this would have registered in the history books because it only has higher mortality in the very old, thus daily life might not have been affected to a degree worthy of cataloguing. This is purely an academic question and has no bearing on current mitigation efforts that I agree with.

The other question is with modern medicine (and diet) are we effectively mitigating the effects on the younger population, which in previous times would have succumb at a greater rate to a similar virus.

15 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Car maintenance? Yes for the big things. I can change my own brakes, oil, filters, plugs, etc.

Mainly bars and restaurants. Carry out is nice but it’s not the same as going to your favorite bar and watching the baseball game while ordering wings and a couple brews, or sitting outside at the tiki bar on a beautiful day. Also, family has a place in OC, we typically start going in April when weekend weather cooperates, no point when nothing is open. So for me, that part sucks. The rest I can handle. 

5 minutes ago, SnowtoRain said:

That creates an interesting question than, whether or not a pandemic like this would have registered in the history books because it only has higher mortality in the very old, thus daily life might not have been affected to a degree worthy of cataloguing. This is purely an academic question and has no bearing on current mitigation efforts that I agree with.

The other question is with modern medicine (and diet) are we effectively mitigating the effects on the younger population, which in previous times would have succumb at a greater rate to a similar virus.

A very interesting question indeed. Had this spread in the year 1,000 would they even have noticed?  I never thought about that.  My guess is they wouldn’t have noticed given the multitude of other, worse health issues they had to deal with. 

@mappy I’m the social studies content lead for Balt City summer school and as of right now we are tentatively developing a plan to deliver summer credit recovery online.  I don’t know what the counties are thinking but any return to physical school seems unlikely before the fall at the earliest in the city. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, snowfan said:

I miss live sports.  The playground with my kids is also a biggie.  Maybe not in that order lol

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@mappy I’m the social studies content lead for Balt City summer school and as of right now we are tentatively developing a plan to deliver summer credit recovery online.  I don’t know what the counties are thinking but any return to physical school seems unlikely before the fall at the earliest in the city. 

Yeah I’m really wondering about the fall now.  I teach in a school with 1,500 ish students total plus well over 100 staff.  I wonder if we’ll be going to back to business as usual in the fall. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah I have a 1 and 4 year old and no playgrounds, friends, cousins, etc really limits what we can do on a day to day basis. 

We have thankfully loosened up on the family side. I got to meet and hold my 2 week old niece for the first time last night.

8 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah I’m really wondering about the fall now.  I teach in a school with 1,500 ish students total plus well over 100 staff.  I wonder if we’ll be going to back to business as usual in the fall. 

Not likely IMO. If schools are open, there will probably be many changes including reduced class sizes, more physical distancing, less traffic in the halls, wearing of masks, lunch in the classrooms instead of cafeteria, etc.  

7 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

They are making contingency plans just in case. Right now I’m waiting to hear if they will purchase e text rights or else I will have to redesign the US/World Hist and Gov curriculums by summer. 

• mappy locked this topic
  • mappy unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic