• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr

Everyone that makes under 75k also received $1200 even if they are working.  Even retirees got the $1200 check.  People are flush with cash right now.  That's also why the savings rate has gone through the roof.  Americans typically don't save money but now they are.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

4 hours ago, dta1984 said:

Curious why you say that?  Though there was some delay,  everyone I've encountered part time or full time got the extra unemployment.  Maybe it's depending on the state. 

I say that as a percentage of people, most people were still working and didn't get unemployed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chances14 said:

that could be a contributing factor but my customer base is generally those in the lower middle class

Like mentioned above, most of those people were still working. Around 75% of all workers remained working.

3 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think what he meant was that only around 20% of people actually got furloughed/laid off and collected Unemployment. The rest of us continued to work and not much has changed as of yet. We have actually received more money with the $1200 checks. Many people including me had designated funds set aside for vacations. Mine were New Zealand/Norway this year. I am using that money to make home improvements instead. Many others are likely doing the same. 

Bingo this is exactly what I meant.

2 hours ago, Jonger said:

When the layoffs first started I believe those affected were working across a more broad spectrum of fields, wages averaged around $75,000 for those out of work. Now, we're looking at lower paid industries still not back to work. As that link I posted earlier was showing, 2/3rds of those elgible for the increased unemployment are making more than they were previously. 

Not exactly the prime big spending vacation type. I think the majority of what we are seeing with spending is coming from people making upwards of $2,500 a month more now than previously.

They were still only 20-25% of workers in that range that were laid off though. It isn't as big as you want to state, no matter what you 'think'.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Inverted_Trough said:

Everyone that makes under 75k also received $1200 even if they are working.  Even retirees got the $1200 check.  People are flush with cash right now.  That's also why the savings rate has gone through the roof.  Americans typically don't save money but now they are.

Yep, and that 1200 dollars or more depending upon dependents was spent on things to keep the economy rolling. Hell my brother's family got $3900 with 2 adults and 3 kids. Of course they were spending some of that money on stuff.

Unless there is some substantive news in relation to the virus, I don't want to see Trump mentioned in here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Unless there is some substantive news in relation to the virus, I don't want to see Trump mentioned in here.  

TRUMPF Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Is that politics in general or is Biden ok...?

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Understood

Regardless of how you feel about min wage laws and the like, if we’re going to continue to hand out an additional $600 a week to the unemployed in addition to standard unemployment, we should also make sure the service industries are adequately compensated in a manner where they are not making less than those who are unemployed.  Maybe call it an increase or added hazard pay.

1 hour ago, dta1984 said:

Is that politics in general or is Biden ok...?

No Biden.  He is currently not even in a position to enact policy.

Can someone explain to me why all the extra money?  Why weren't people just paid unemployment for 100% of what they were earning before the virus?  I can understand hazard pay a little more but it just doesn't make sense to me to pay so many people an extra $600 a week, unless the goal was to keep the economy from completely tanking or an incentive to keep people home and things shutdown longer.  Hope people spent wisely.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Can someone explain to me why all the extra money?  Why weren't people just paid unemployment for 100% of what they were earning before the virus?  I can understand hazard pay a little more but it just doesn't make sense to me to pay so many people an extra $600 a week, unless the goal was to keep the economy from completely tanking or an incentive to keep people home and things shutdown longer.  Hope people spent wisely.

It is a combination of several reasons, some of which you already hit on, keeping people home and keeping the economy from falling off a cliff. The other issues are the capping of unemployment is so low even in this state it is 360 a week. That is barely much above minimum wage at 40 hours. Combine that with other states where it is even lower per week. Also the expectation was this wasn't going to last just a couple of weeks and unless we want to see the middle class run into massive amounts of foreclosure or evictions there had to be more put in. This is basically money to save their houses though I do think 600/week is too much, I would go with 100% pay capped at 800 a week or current unemployment + 300-400 a week more. All these things combined would be why it is higher. The main thing is not killing the housing market because not only does that hurt those who get evicted/foreclosed on but that also hurts those who don't as it causes property values to plummet, see 2007-2009 for example.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that MI has ~12,000 fewer cases than TN, but MI has over 6x the number of deaths.  Are the doctors that much better at treating this no vs. in the beginning or has something changed with the virus?  Could be the specific population in each state that has the virus is much different also.  Curious to see what accounts for that large of a difference in deaths.

2 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

Interesting that MI has ~12,000 fewer cases than TN, but MI has over 6x the number of deaths.  Are the doctors that much better at treating this no vs. in the beginning or has something changed with the virus?  Could be the specific population in each state that has the virus is much different also.  Curious to see what accounts for that large of a difference in deaths.

Michigan was hit harder earlier on when there was much less testing, so tons of cases were missed.  Probably close to 1 million people in Michigan have had it already.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

The deaths here happened early when no one knew what was going on. Now we have a better idea on treatment which is why deaths aren't rising quite dramatically. They are still going up but no where near the magnitude of before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

The deaths here happened early when no one knew what was going on. Now we have a better idea on treatment which is why deaths aren't rising quite dramatically. They are still going up but no where near the magnitude of before.

Is it treatment or demographics?  I have no idea and curious if anyone has seen any data one way or the other.

1 minute ago, WestMichigan said:

Is it treatment or demographics?  I have no idea and curious if anyone has seen any data one way or the other.

It could be a combination of both, lower income/blue collar people in general are more prone to having worse impacts of viruses as they don't keep up with normal checkups/maintenance. 

5 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yep, and that 1200 dollars or more depending upon dependents was spent on things to keep the economy rolling. Hell my brother's family got $3900 with 2 adults and 3 kids. Of course they were spending some of that money on stuff.

Nobody doubts that the $600 per week kept the economy going, but that's not going to keep that job around and that's what the more economically nervous posters keep referring back to.

• Weenie 1

Just now, Jonger said:

Nobody doubts that the $600 per week kept the economy going, but that's not going to keep that job around and that's what the more economically nervous posters keep referring back to.

People aren't quitting their jobs for a temporary gain. It is asinine to suggest that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

I'm curious if its a trifecta of Treatment/Demographics/mutation in virulence?? 

Anyone else hear or experience a situation where anyone was about to be tested, chose not to proceed due to wait times, and received a call shortly after that they tested positive?  I heard two of these kinds of stories secondhand this week.  I find the sources to be relatively trustworthy too.  In one case it was a family of three and each of them got a call so I don’t think it could be a simple mixup with someone who actually took the test.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stebo said:

People aren't quitting their jobs for a temporary gain. It is asinine to suggest that.

In a lot of cases they can’t quit their jobs for the full benefit anyway, but that’s part of the problem.  I like your idea of $300-400 additional, I suggested that on AmPol and the results weren’t pretty.

15 minutes ago, Stebo said:

No, but those in industries still mostly closed aren't going to have much to go back to. The economy is running well right now because the government is printing up cash, but that's going to end.

Let's see how nice things are when we have 10% unemployment. Now, keep those businesses closed another 6 months and 10% would be best case scenario.

14 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

Anyone else hear or experience a situation where anyone was about to be tested, chose not to proceed due to wait times, and received a call shortly after that they tested positive?  I heard two of these kinds of stories secondhand this week.  I find the sources to be relatively trustworthy too.  In one case it was a family of three and each of them got a call so I don’t think it could be a simple mixup with someone who actually took the test.

Heard that from my sister, who has basically been looking for any way possible to discredit the pandemic.

That raises an obvious question about those stories.  How do they know whom to call if people are leaving before getting tested?  Or is there some kind of check in process when you first show up? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonger said:

No, but those in industries still mostly closed aren't going to have much to go back to. The economy is running well right now because the government is printing up cash, but that's going to end.

Let's see how nice things are when we have 10% unemployment. Now, keep those businesses closed another 6 months and 10% would be best case scenario.

No industry is staying closed forever, the only thing that might go a bit by the wayside is the bar industry. Maybe that is a good thing, we don't need bars on every corner. The bar atmosphere has been going down with the current generation outside of colleges. Most everything else has reopened or working remotely.